class 10 card won't work with EVO?

MinistrOfJustiz

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I wanted a larger capacity card than the stock 8GB that came with my release-day EVO. The Lexar 32GB class 10 card was about the same price as any class 4, so I bought the class 10. Worked great for three weeks, then it started producing error messages, unmounted, and by the next day when I went to copy my data off the card onto my computer the class 10 card had completely lost format.

I thought it was a bad card, so I emailed Lexar support. Lexar blamed the phone:
"[The HTC EVO 4G] will not take anything over a class 4 speed card, the reason you are having an issue is the card is to fast for the phone"

Besides the spelling error (too fast, too fast!), this blew my mind. Because the card is capable at working at higher speeds than the phone, it will just nerf itself in my phone? I'm not a hardware guy - does this make any sense or is this support staffer just trying to pass the buck?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
No matter the speed andoid wil not recognize faster speed cards. Theyll work but u wont see speed on your phone.

itslame

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Patriot Class 10 32GB card in my Evo...works fine. Class 10 may be overkill, but I purchase cards to be used over more than just one medium (Vidcam, DLSR, Tablet etc).

MinistrOfJustiz

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Patriot Class 10 32GB card in my Evo...works fine. Class 10 may be overkill, but I purchase cards to be used over more than just one medium (Vidcam, DLSR, Tablet etc).

Exactly why I bought it too - knew the card speed was higher than the EVO would fully utilize, but I wanted to use it in other devices.

So my thought that the Lexar guy's response was utter nonsense is right? It seemed to me like he was saying that putting 93 octane gas in a car that only requires 87 would cause the engine to fall out. (And, to extend the metaphor because the card lost format, I guess the gas will then turn into water.)

deputy963

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Quick question... Where did you buy the card from?

The reason I ask is that there are known counterfeit cards being sold all over the place. You can download h2testw and see what it says.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes a class 10 cards will work. This is the only way you can have smooth and great HD video recorded. Have you wondered why your videos are choppy at times? Its because a class 4 card is little to slow to get all the data written.

The dude you talked to is full of you know what. Doesn't matter what the transfer speed is of a card, but the write speed of your device.

Ie a cs burner that can write 8x will work with a cd -r that's capable of 32x write speed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699