Any benefit at all to Gingerbread?

jlewis

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So now that I'm running the latest maintenance release of the Gingerbread update (version 4.24.651.1), I have to ask . . . what's the point?

I have not seen anything new or improved since the update. I have seen plenty of things NOT work right.

Currently, I am very frustrated that Voice Search no longer works when there is any background noise of any consequence. Yes, I've tried the "clear data" fix, but it does not help.

Also, I like aTAKEphONE for my dialer, but it cannot clear the Call Log notification after the update.

I would love any suggestions on fixing those two issues, but more importantly I wonder if anyone is actually glad to have the GB update? Has anyone seen a benefit?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So now that I'm running the latest maintenance release of the Gingerbread update (version 4.24.651.1), I have to ask . . . what's the point?

I have not seen anything new or improved since the update. I have seen plenty of things NOT work right.

There were very few GUI enhancements on Gingerbread, most of those were not reflected on the Evo's update so from a user perspective there is not much change. GB mostly brings API changes and under-the-hood enhancements. Has also been quite buggy for many users.

Currently, I am very frustrated that Voice Search no longer works when there is any background noise of any consequence. Yes, I've tried the "clear data" fix, but it does not help.

I had this problem coming from the Evo to the Nexus, I resolved that issue by clearing the stored voice recordings on the Google dashboard.

Also, I like aTAKEphONE for my dialer, but it cannot clear the Call Log notification after the update.

I would love any suggestions on fixing those two issues, but more importantly I wonder if anyone is actually glad to have the GB update? Has anyone seen a benefit?

This is caused by a changes in GB permissions as explained on the shsh website. This seems to be affecting all 3rd party dialers that I tried under GB. Not much you can do about it.

Illusions

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
No benefit to gingerbread, unless you like bugs in your software. In that case, this is a real treat -- nothing works like it should and htc/sprint seem to like it that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo