Tried to "root" HTC EVO Design 4G

dstruckoffjr

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had success "rooting" the Design. It has stock ROM Ver: 2.3.4 and the updated software of: 2.12.651.5.

I have tried SuperTool v3. It did "Unlock" using HTC's method, but not root. S-on is still showing.

Thanks,
Dean

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
http://forum.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=19080.msg240225.msg#240225

Is actually really easy. The supertool is almost useless after the update. Frigid recently posted that he would update it one last time before abandoning it altogether as he has moved away from HTC devices. I think he owns a Motorola now, but I can't rightly remember.

In any case, keep reading. We have root, recovery, unlocked bootloader, s-off (yet to be officially released but I have seen a pic), custom roms (cm7 currently boots but is still in alpha), custom kernels (should be a good one coming with the cm7 rom), and plenty of extra goodies. SDX is really blowing up as of late. Should be some really cool stuff coming up in the following weeks.

gadrams

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Do you have to go through HTCdev to gert the phone s-off before you used these methods? Also what is the difference bewtween SDX route from the XDA route.... sorry for the questions.

Last edited:

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Do you have to go through HTCdev to gert the phone s-off before you used these methods? Also what is the difference bewtween SDX route from the XDA route.... sorry for the questions.

Same route really. The thread I linked to is just easier to follow for those that aren't experienced users. And yes, you do have to go through htcdev, but maybe not for much longer. Htcdev unlocks the bootloader but is still S-On. I know of one person that has achieved S-Off but has yet to release his method. Shouldn't be much longer.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Same route really. The thread I linked to is just easier to follow for those that aren't experienced users. And yes, you do have to go through htcdev, but maybe not for much longer. Htcdev unlocks the bootloader but is still S-On. I know of one person that has achieved S-Off but has yet to release his method. Shouldn't be much longer.

Can you say who so we cwn be on the lookout? Or where to watch sdx?

Sent from my HTC Hero S

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Can you say who so we cwn be on the lookout? Or where to watch sdx?

Sent from my HTC Hero S

I wish I could but it was shown to me in confidence. I'm guessing there may be some bugs to work out or some fine tuning or something along those lines. That and I'm sure he doesn't want to be bothered with requests for ETAs and such right now. Hopefully it won't be much longer.

brickphone

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Any news on this? I have a Design with the latest OTA and want to root.

Seems like a lot of confusing info out there - no clear path to root.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
There is an ICS rom complete with su binary zip to flash in recovery for root at sdx-developers.com. Easiest root you'll ever apply.

Even if you don't want to install the ICS rom, you should download and hang on to the su binary zip. It will give you root on both the last two ota updates as well as the boost ICS leak.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*

Stanloco

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
could you make a video i would really appreciate it. i am a visual learner with dyslexia unfortunately,this has really impaired my ability to learn how to root as well as learning in school :-\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87