Weird chainfire root problem - SGH-T999, Android 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

craighaggart

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
[Reposting from the generic "ask a question" forum.]

I tried rooting my wife's S3 so I can get all of her files moved to her new S7. First I tried CWM, then discovered the incredibly easy chainfire method ("CF"). CF is great for me because I don't care about flashing a new ROM, just getting access to files in the root directory, and the process is super easy.

The root process (which I've done before on several other Samsung phones) never seemed to "take," so I tried over and over seemingly without success. However, I downloaded a root checker and it says the phone actually IS rooted. But SuperSU crashes every time I try to use it, and nothing has root privilege.

My initial thought was the problem might be due to Knox security (which I believe got loaded with update to Jelly Bean). I've tried to kill it, and it does stop telling me that "a program was blocked due to security" when I do, but I still cannot get SuperSU or ROM toolbox pro or anything else to run. Also, a knowledgeable person on this forum told me he had no problem running SuperSU with Knox running.

Any tips or hints? I just need root access to copy all of the folders.

Some details:

- I used CF-Auto-Root-d2tmo-sght999.
- the error message for SuperSU is always the vague "Unfortunately, SuperSU has stopped."
- launching a root browser hangs up the phone with permanent white screen (I can get the power off or reboot option with the power button, but they don't work - I have to restart by removing/replacing the battery)

Attachments

• s3screenshot.jpg
    s3screenshot.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter