advice regarding 32gig micro sd card

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I'm thinking of trading in my 16gig class 2 micro sd card for a 32gig micro sd card. I have done some research and found that the sandisk has a 32gig class 2 or 4 micro sd card available. Amazon.com reviews on the sandisk are scattered. Some say it's good and others warn not to buy the item as it breaks or isn't what's advertised etc.

I'm not a big fan of off brand micro sd cards and I stick to kingston or sandisk mostly. Since my previous phone was not capable of a 32gig micro sd I didn't buy one. Now that I have the HTC Evo Shift, I can get a 32gig micro sd.

Questions -- Should I get one? If so what is a good brand to get? Should I wait? I've heard of the Patriot card, is that any good or should I wait on that?

Sorry of this was duplicated, I didn't see any other threads that answered these specific questions. Thanks for you input.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
From what ive heard if you load and unload stuff all the time on these cards they eventually go bad. Just my .02. I have 16gb card in mine and its plenty.

I have heard that too and that goes for any microsd card, no matter what the size. My issue is that I am reading many consumer comments that the 32gig microsd cards work for a week or so and then magically die. That's not normal. All microsd and sd (etc) cards have maximum number of read write times. I know that a week to a month or so is not normal. I guessing, that the technology for the 32 gig microsd cards is still too knew? Maybe that it the reason for so many abnormal problems. Maybe I'm guessing wrong but something isn't right that so many different brands of 32gig microsd cards die so quickly.

My reason for wanting a 32gig microsd card is this... On my current phone and every phone I have had for some time now, I have always put my pictures, personal ringtones (when possible), videos, music, and any other files on the micro sd card. I never use the phone's memory for any of that. This is my problem. I want to load as much music as possible on my micro sd cards but I have to share the space with other files. I do this because I don't want to loose the pics, vids, documents, ringtones, etc that I have collected over the years because my phone breaks. (knock on wood...) I have yet to have my phone and my micro sd card break. Plus, I back up my micro sd card onto my computer too (which as other backups). So unless there is a major catastrophy, I'm good to go with not loosing my files. I have found that switching phones is easier when everything is already on the micro sd card. I don't have to take the time to transfer anything. So, music is an important part of my life. In fact, I use my own personal form of music therapy to help me keep my sanity during the day, you know dealing with idiots and other various "unique" people out there. I want as much music as I possibly can fit onto my device so I have a variety of options to choose from to use my form of music therapy to help me regain my sanity which is eroded away by dealing with other people during the day. I have a 64gig ipod touch 3rd generation (which I feel is a down grade from the 160gb ipod classic I had) but I don't like to always carry two devices with me all the time. Since I paid full retail price for my htc evo shift (I hated the samsung moment ... samsung has a lot to learn about making android mobile phones and should take lessons from HTC and LG) ... sorry I digress ... to get the value of my $400 investment, I would like to use this as a music player. I have been able to get it to sync with my itunes library (exluding the DRM songs but I don't purchase from itunes anymore it's amazon.com or mp3panda for me now). The only thing that keeps me from selling my ipod touch at this point is that about 13gb of music is not enough for me. I need more space. This is why I am looking into the 32gb micro sd cards to expand my memory for music.

I can't wait for the day when there is a android mobile phone that allows me to have two micro sd cards installed at the same time. One can be for music only and the other will have my ringtones, pictures, videos, documents, ... Until then I must continue my search for a 32gb micro sd card that appears to last a normal amount of time.

buskE46

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been running a couple months w/ a 32gb no-name Class 10 card that I picked up from NewEgg - (as of right now they have a Class 4 Kingston brand Micro card for $67 shipped).

I wouldn't trust it with anything important, but provides plenty of space if you need to record something, use it to move files from computer to computer... whatever.. Long trips I can load 10 movies without issue.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I'm thinking of trading in my 16gig class 2 micro sd card for a 32gig micro sd card. I have done some research and found that the sandisk has a 32gig class 2 or 4 micro sd card available. Amazon.com reviews on the sandisk are scattered. Some say it's good and others warn not to buy the item as it breaks or isn't what's advertised etc.

I'm not a big fan of off brand micro sd cards and I stick to kingston or sandisk mostly. Since my previous phone was not capable of a 32gig micro sd I didn't buy one. Now that I have the HTC Evo Shift, I can get a 32gig micro sd.

Questions -- Should I get one? If so what is a good brand to get? Should I wait? I've heard of the Patriot card, is that any good or should I wait on that?

Sorry of this was duplicated, I didn't see any other threads that answered these specific questions. Thanks for you input.

I have a 16 gig Samsung card and it works great. No problems so far. And, unless you REALLY need 32gigs, 16 is more than enough. Got mine for $20 on eBay.

Last edited:

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
@ Ntchwaidumela --- I do realy need a 32gb microsd card. The 16gb is not enough. I have to share pics, documents, ringtones, app info, and music. 16gb is painfully small for me.

@ blaidth --- I will look into that microsd card. How long has yours been working for you?

I am selling my ipod since I don't need it anymore. Now that I have the evo shift, I don't need to carry two devices with me.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
@ Ntchwaidumela --- I do realy need a 32gb microsd card. The 16gb is not enough. I have to share pics, documents, ringtones, app info, and music. 16gb is painfully small for me.

@ blaidth --- I will look into that microsd card. How long has yours been working for you?

I am selling my ipod since I don't need it anymore. Now that I have the evo shift, I don't need to carry two devices with me.
I had a 32 gig card for my "old' BB 9650, so I installed it on my Shift and it works just fine; just like the 16 does. I don't really need that much, but it's nice to know that I have it and it works. And I have 28 gigs available if and when I need it. So, if you need it, go for it.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to all for the helpful info. I have purchased the 32gb transcend microsd. All appears to be well. The transitiion was smooth and the 32gb seems to be loading as fast as my 16gb which was a class 4 also. I really happy so far. I have about 14gb left which will be quickly filled with my music.:)

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to all for the helpful info. I have purchased the 32gb transcend microsd. All appears to be well. The transitiion was smooth and the 32gb seems to be loading as fast as my 16gb which was a class 4 also. I really happy so far. I have about 14gb left which will be quickly filled with my music.:)

GREAT! Sounds like you found your answer.

andrewsean7830

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Note that the SD card class rating only gives you the minimum write speed that is guaranteed by the manufacturer. It doesn’t tell you anything about real-world speeds. In reality, data write speeds tend to be higher than the stated speed, as are data read speeds. Nevertheless, higher class ratings tend to correlate with better performance and so opting for a class 10 SD card will normally give you the best performance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non