ROMS for EVO Shift?

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Are there any ROMS for the EVO Shift yet?

My friend has a EVO Shift and he isn't that happy with the battery life so I figured rooting his phone and flashing a rom/kernel will increase his performance like it did with my OG EVO.

fifedogg

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Are there any ROMS for the EVO Shift yet?

My friend has a EVO Shift and he isn't that happy with the battery life so I figured rooting his phone and flashing a rom/kernel will increase his performance like it did with my OG EVO.

He must be doing something wrong. I posted a bunch of stuff below that effects battery life. He should look at it and decide if any applies to him.

My shift gets the best battery life of any Android phone I have ever had or personally known someone to have. Either way just get the overclock/undervolt kernel and tweak it the way you want. Over at XDA there are a few ROM's getting worked on. I'm running a deodexed version of the stock rom on the OC/UV kernel and loving it.

A little list of things to do, check and or disable;

1. Use spare parts and find out whats killing your battery ie partial wake usage, cpu etc.
2. Turn your window animations from all to only some animations
3. Turn off automatic display and keep it around 20-30%
4. I have auto sync off on all my appz (E-mail, Gmail, Facebook etc.). I update my E-mail and such manually.
5. Turn off data when not using it. I find data accounts for around 15-25% of juice used and thats just when on idle.
6. Only use widgets on the homescreen if you really have to (Running widgets use a lot of power over time)
7. Use Android Hackers tool from the market and it will break down how long your cpu was in a certain state. ie my cpu spent 65% at 245mhz and 28% at 806mhz.
8. Keep off 4G, Bluetooth, wirless networks for location and GPS if not using it (GPS uses less power than wireless networks and is more accurate anyway) I assigned Quick Settings to open when I hold down the search button. That makes it easy to enable/disable any of these setting within seconds.
9. Turn off google talk and make sure it doesnt sign in automatically (most people dont realise this)
10. Turn screen timeout to 15 or 30 seconds (if longer your phone can keep the display on accidentally while in your pocket if a button is pressed, wasting power)
11. Dont use a task killer unless its to kill an app you know drains your battery and therefore must be closed to save juice
12. Check your apps. Some apps keep using cpu etc because they were not programed correctly. (some appz I've found to drain my battery are; Yahoo Mail, Craigslist, AndTorrent and the market if a download is hung up. There are a few others I cant remember off the top of my head) If your phone is getting hot for no apparent reason this may be the cause.
13. Calibrate your battery by bump charging (charge your phone till its full while on, turn it off and charge till its full again. Then bump charge it around 5-7 times) Wipe battery stats if applicable. If you have a car charger, plug your phone in on the way to work to account for the little bit of drain that occurs once the phone is fully charged yet still on the charger.

Reactions: Dave Blake

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
He must be doing something wrong. I posted a bunch of stuff below that effects battery life. He should look at it and decide if any applies to him.

My shift gets the best battery life of any Android phone I have ever had or personally known someone to have. Either way just get the overclock/undervolt kernel and tweak it the way you want. Over at XDA there are a few ROM's getting worked on. I'm running a deodexed version of the stock rom on the OC/UV kernel and loving it.

Thanks for the heads up on the kernel I was just over there looking aroung and I missed the thread... Downloading now.

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
XDA Developers has a custom kernel up that can be overclocked to 1.51GHz with setcpu.
There are currently several roms available already, most of which are very close to complete.

herothc

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm running the 1.5ghz kernel set at ~1250, and AwesomeRom-WarmEdition v1, but about to update to 2.2 warm edition (with sense) to see whats come about. I completely stopped checking for updates after installing the first one... like it that much.

mikerosa650

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
im not really sure how to do that, i followed your instructions to root the device which went smoothly but that seems to be all i was able to acomplish

mikerosa650

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
ok so i did this but im pretty sure it deleted everything after the new kernel was installed how to i recover the nandroid file that was created

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty