Need some feedback: Is this normal?

AdamR

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So after dropping my phone today, i noticed that the bottom screen sliding mechanism became really loose. Looking it over, it had no scratches. Before, it would give maybe 1mm before the screen would start to move, after, well look at the pictures.
Now the keyboard is kind of loose, and will start to open maybe 5mm while in my pocket. Also, the bottom will move around a little, maybe 2 mm while the keyboard is open.

Pics:
DSCF0147.JPG

It will open this far without any resistance.
DSCF0149.JPG

This is how far the top will move without resistance.
DSCF0150.JPG

This is what it looks like.

Can i just take it to the store to swap it out? Or is there something else i must do?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea, that would be a normal result of dropping your phone. Do you have insurance? otherwise it's not covered under warranty since it's users fault. If it has no scratches or any marks you could try to bring it back to Sprint and just say it happened from sliding the phone open after a while. Manufacturer defect.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I do, but now I'm definately taking it back. The damn K key only works if I jam on it.

Just call the insurance company...they will send you a new phone with a box to ship back the old one with. I think you have 30 days to send back the old phone after they send you a new one.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Return the phone and get it replace, unless you don't have any insurance on the device. Sprint insurance policy has change - and has become more lenient towards their customers.

Ps. That's one of the reason why I don't want another slider phone.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You have 30 days to add TEP. Just call *2 and add it to your account if you don't have it.

Then, visit a sprint repair center. It's all covered as long as you don't have liquid damage. Even if you dropped it. It's covered now. No charge. This is not an insurance issue.

big_bopper

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My guess would be that the impact from the drop did two things:

- Put a slight bend in your sliding mechanism thus causing the extra play on the slider

- Moved or dislodged the piece on the back of the "K" key that makes contact with the circuit board

Just a guess though. If and when you get it replaced, a case with a shell may be a good idea. They are designed to absorb and redistribute the force of the impact when dropped.

AdamR

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
My guess would be that the impact from the drop did two things:

- Put a slight bend in your sliding mechanism thus causing the extra play on the slider

- Moved or dislodged the piece on the back of the "K" key that makes contact with the circuit board

Just a guess though. If and when you get it replaced, a case with a shell may be a good idea. They are designed to absorb and redistribute the force of the impact when dropped.

The reason I asked is because I was thinking about just taking it apart and trying to fix it.
It surprised me because I dropped my Moment many timeswith no adverse effects.
Well ill just swing by the store todayand see what they say.

AdamR

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I got a new phone from Radio Shack. They gave me one, no questions asked. However, this one has a dead pixel right in the middle of the damn screen. Oh gosh, my luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith