GPS issues

PaulB007#AC

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have trouble with the GPS getting a lock on their location on the Shift? When I am in navigation and get a call I completely lose the GPS lock and have to practically exit the app and have it research for the directions. I don't understand why it has so much trouble, my older Palm Pre junker can hold a location lock better!

edback

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
i think that these phones us agps and hence require a data signal to work properly. unfortunately, on sprint's cdma network, we cannot talk and use data at the same time. thus you may lose your gps signal when you are in a phone call.

KoG

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have had constant issues with my GPS. I came to the Shift via a Hero. With the Hero I was able to use the GPS no problem. I loathe using the GPS on the Shift.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think HTC did something diffrent with the GPS on this phone. I leave my GPS on all the time now and I get faster locks but if I turn it off it takes for ever to lock in when I first turn it on. I have noticed leaving it on doesn't seam to drain much battery in fact the GPS icon will go away if I don't use GPS for a while. I have a GPS program that uses downloaded maps so I don't need a connection to navigate I have used this program with phone data turned off and the GPS worked fine, I say this because I know the phone uses AGPS but it will work without it just saying so you guys know

Deranged Cat

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I loathe usiing the gps on the shift too. My third replacement phone and the gps is -still- awful. Takes forever to lock on. I use the google navigation.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe that there's an option to route all calls to voicemail to avoid being disturbed when using an app that requires a constant data connection to function properly on Google Maps (useful when playing an online game also). I also believe that there is also an app that slows you to route calls to voicemail with root, but I can't remember the name of it. Hopefully, when HTC and Sprint release an update for the Shift, it will make things smoother (like they did with the HTC EVO 4G.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I mainly use the app called simply "Navigation" and it frequently loses satellite connection while in use. If I exit and restart the app, it usually has no problem aquiring satellites again. But it is a little annoying.

xHunt3r

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Had issue in the past using Google's Navigation with it not locking on my position. Used TeleNav on my last business trip to Texas and it locked on quickly and worked perfectly.

illadelphatic

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The gps problems on the shift have to be software related. On cm7, the gps lock in almost instant (although I had to flash cm7 almost a dozen times for GPS to work at all). Before I was running cm7, I too had major issues with the gps lock/accuracy. I suggest rooting and switching ROMs or call sprint and let them know so maybe they can fix in an OTA update.

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Didn't know whether it's better to start a new thread or resurrect an old one...

Anyhow, here goes.

Just made a round trip from Oklahoma City to Columbus, MS last week (10 hours each way) and had a lot of opportunity to use both GPS apps - TeleNav and Google Navigation.

TeleNav performed flawlessly, never had a problem maintaining a GPS signal.

Google Navigation, on the other hand, would never go longer than about 5 minutes before losing GPS signal. If I exit the app and restart, it has no problem acquiring the signal right away - but then very shortly goes back to "searching for GPS..." etc, even with a perfectly clear sky.

So what's going on here? If it was a problem with the device (hardware related), I would think it would have the same effect on both GPS apps. But as I stated, TeleNav always worked perfectly.

Is there something specific with Google Navigation that causes a problem?

-Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress