Security for Flyer?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering the WaveSecure from McAfee for protection and have discovered that this product includes some bonus advantages such as backup, tracking, remote wipe, etcetera. An android version exists. A trial is available. I'd like to know if y'all think this is essential for safe mobile tableting . . . And here's the url that I'm studying:
https://www.wavesecure.com/wavesecure/android.aspx

And no, I don't work for McAfee or receive a commission. ;-) (I just adamantly prefer their products and wouldn't consider purchasing any kind of digital security from anyone else.)

bouncing

Feb 28, 2011
kenkinder.com
I have WaveSecure on my phone, but I haven't installed it on my tablet.

I have used the tracking feature on my phone, and while the GUI is pretty bad (you hit a button, then refresh the page occasionally), it helps to confirm approximately where your phone is if you lose it. You can also have it sound an alarm, which is helpful when it's under the couch.

I haven't tried Remote Wipe, but I assume it uses the standard Android SDK Device Admin feature for that. I wouldn't call it a "bonus advantage" because if you have sensitive data on your device, you do want to do a remote wipe if it's lost or stolen.

But the "backup" is pointless, since your contacts are in the cloud anyway.

Just on an initial consideration, I wouldn't use that on my tablet because if the tablet is stolen, it most likely won't have a data connection. WaveSecure only helps if your device is connected to the Internet and able to receive remote instructions.

Also, I think HTC Sense has a remote wipe / location service, but I haven't tried it and on Consumerist a while ago, it didn't work at all for some users.

solar

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have WaveSecure on my phone, but I haven't installed it on my tablet.

I have used the tracking feature on my phone, and while the GUI is pretty bad (you hit a button, then refresh the page occasionally), it helps to confirm approximately where your phone is if you lose it. You can also have it sound an alarm, which is helpful when it's under the couch.

I haven't tried Remote Wipe, but I assume it uses the standard Android SDK Device Admin feature for that. I wouldn't call it a "bonus advantage" because if you have sensitive data on your device, you do want to do a remote wipe if it's lost or stolen.

But the "backup" is pointless, since your contacts are in the cloud anyway.

Just on an initial consideration, I wouldn't use that on my tablet because if the tablet is stolen, it most likely won't have a data connection. WaveSecure only helps if your device is connected to the Internet and able to receive remote instructions.

Also, I think HTC Sense has a remote wipe / location service, but I haven't tried it and on Consumerist a while ago, it didn't work at all for some users.

I was thinking the same thing, regarding the lack of a constant data connection. Thats the only bummer I can think of regarding not having 3g on the device.wave secure will likely never find it to locate or wipe it. I do use it on my Droid 2 though. Haven't tested the wipe yet though!

bouncing

Feb 28, 2011
kenkinder.com
I was thinking the same thing, regarding the lack of a constant data connection. Thats the only bummer I can think of regarding not having 3g on the device.wave secure will likely never find it to locate or wipe it. I do use it on my Droid 2 though. Haven't tested the wipe yet though!

FWIW, if you use a password to unlock the device, a thief would probably have to find a way to do a factory reset on it rather than deal with hacking it.

You'd lose the tablet but your emails would be safe.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who's commented in here! When I read your comments and reviewed the WaveSecure description, I don't believe it'd be of value on a wifi-only Flyer. I appreciate all of you helping me to understand this. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38