Newbie trying to root 2.27.651.6

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I did install Icedhoneybun, not bad at all. The only thing I don't have is the live wallpapers, but I think is another download I have to do. Do you find these under 'Home Wallpapers'? Or do you have to make them work in another way?

Yeah, you'll have to dl the lwp.zip that beezy had on the 1st post, flash it like a rom, then you can change to a lwp the same way as any other paper. Either menu> wallpaper or long press on an empty spot on the home page. I believe the live wallpaper option replaces the lock screen paper option, so to change that, youhave to go into the personalize section of the settings menu. Also, make sure you're over clocked, the hero has troubleswith lwp's at 528 mHz. :)

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!

DrScottyB

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ugh!

I installed the '1-click-root' app. It said that my phone was rooted, but the SU app doesn't seem to do anything. I tried to delete Amazon MP3 app, but it didn't work.

While I was trying to use the ROM Manager (while supposedly rooted) the phone tried to reboot into recovery mode, but gave me the red exclamation point screen. It took a number of attempts to restart the phone to escape the red exclamation point.

So, I'm guessing that this method will not work for the Sprint Hero.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is a1 click root. Are you sure you got the right one? Check the Hero forums over on the xda forums. If it isn't there, then it don't exist. :)

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I installed the '1-click-root' app. It said that my phone was rooted, but the SU app doesn't seem to do anything. I tried to delete Amazon MP3 app, but it didn't work.

While I was trying to use the ROM Manager (while supposedly rooted) the phone tried to reboot into recovery mode, but gave me the red exclamation point screen. It took a number of attempts to restart the phone to escape the red exclamation point.

So, I'm guessing that this method will not work for the Sprint Hero.

Make sure that you have USB Debugging on (Settings -> Applications -> Development). I'm not sure, but that could be the reason why you couldn't delete the Amazon app.

Also, if you are going to get any ROMs, you must download Recovery. I just read recently to have the 1 click root working correctly, you must download some other software (that includes recovery) that will make everything work and if you want to know, yes, you need ROMs, is awesome!

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you'll have to dl the lwp.zip that beezy had on the 1st post, flash it like a rom, then you can change to a lwp the same way as any other paper. Either menu> wallpaper or long press on an empty spot on the home page. I believe the live wallpaper option replaces the lock screen paper option, so to change that, youhave to go into the personalize section of the settings menu. Also, make sure you're over clocked, the hero has troubleswith lwp's at 528 mHz. :)

Holy cow, this just slowed down my phone to a crawl...and I didn't do a Nand backup, idiot!

Anyway, thanks for the support, I don't know why is so slow even when OCd to 710, I don't get it.

Should I Froyo tonight? I'm too tired, gotta get up early agh...

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
OK, no biggie, I deleted Live Wallpapers with Titanium Backup, I forgot I could do that, I had read it before.

I wonder if Froyo handles Live Wallpapers better, we'll see.

DrScottyB

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Make sure that you have USB Debugging on (Settings -> Applications -> Development). I'm not sure, but that could be the reason why you couldn't delete the Amazon app.

I thought that was only necessary if you were rooting and flashing from the computer...I'll give it a try later, if I can overcome the fear of seeing that red exclamation point screen again.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's where I got the one I tried.

Oh, ok. That is about as much as I can help you. Sorry. :( I used the unrevoked method and did it through adb. If I was you, I would try that. Someone, gbhil, I think, wrote a step by step guide that is really easy to follow.

jdwawa

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
USER7618:

Was your OC part of the ROM you installed, or did you use a third party app? Same question for undervolting....

Thanks.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
USER7618:

Was your OC part of the ROM you installed, or did you use a third party app? Same question for undervolting....

Thanks.

For honey bun and iced honey bun you have to flash a different kernal. Beezy has a link to a couple on the first post of the honey bun thread. One of those is an under voted one. I use it when I run hb or ihb. As for oc, you'll have to dl the overclockwidget from the market. Its pretty simple to use. It will only work AFTER you flash an overclockable kernal.

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Sweet! :D I run setCPU now, it works pretty good, imo.

I want to OC CM6 Froyo. What suggestions do you have for this? Is it similar to Honeybun or different?

I know with Honeybun you downloaded a file and then managed the OC with another app.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Cm6 already has an oc-able, ugh, critical hit on the english language, kernal. Oc widget or setCPU will work, though you can only go to 698 on the stock kernal. There is an uncapped kernal around somewhere, but I've never used it, so I can't tell you if it works well or not. With that said, I had no issues at 698, though.

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Cm6 already has an oc-able, ugh, critical hit on the english language, kernal. Oc widget or setCPU will work, though you can only go to 698 on the stock kernal. There is an uncapped kernal around somewhere, but I've never used it, so I can't tell you if it works well or not. With that said, I had no issues at 698, though.

Oh, that's great. Is it automatic or should I control the speeds? If so what speeds do you recommend?

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it's auto or not. I set mine to 698 max 633 min with screen on, ~420 max ~345 min with screen off and when the battery was < 30%. That was with setCPU.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty