Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default [CDMA HERO KERNEL] Gumbo Kernel GK-0.2 beta

    A custom kernel for your Sprint CDMA Hero.

    This is a ROM that inserts the new kernel over another ROM. Gumbo users should update to 1.5c here

    Download link for 1.5 versions:


    Download link for AOSP versions:


    Download link for 2.1 heroc version:


    Download link for ROM cookers. Detailed dev package including kernel, wifi module, sample scripts, exploded boot image and tools to edit and reassemble:


    Feel free to ask questions, ROM cookers PM me for email address for faster reply.


    Below is left for archival purposes.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recommended update procedure:
    1. Download a root enabled backup application. is highly recommended. Backup your application data.
    2. Download and place it on your SD card.
    3. Download and place it on your SD card.
    4. Reboot to recovery
    5. NANDROID BACKUP
    6. Verify Nandroid backup exists.
    7. Wipe data/factory reset
    8. Flash Gumbo ROM 1.5b
    9. Flash Gumbo Kernel
    10. Reboot
    11. Enjoy

    If coming from clean Gumbo 1.5b (no swap to MCK ) no wipe is required.

    Other versions now available



    Advanced users:
    Wipe may not be necessary. Only tested on Gumbo ROM 1.5b, but should work on MCR 2.x. Others are at your own risk.

    Works 100% with . Go give that man a lousy buck and support him like he supports us.

    Is it working?
    Verify by opening menu>settings/about phone. Kernel Version should be 2.6.27GK-0.31
    Check your free RAM. Reports from testers vary between 65-80 free with all desired apps and Sense running.

    Thanks to Paul O'Brien, androcheck, and those that helped test.

    Last edited by Jerry Hildenbrand; 02-08-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  2. #2  

    Default

    I'm testing this right now and it works great as reported by gpbhil.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I did this, but SetCPU is not changing my processor speed.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notasimpleway View Post
    I did this, but SetCPU is not changing my processor speed.
    Hmmm what do you mean? I thought I just had to set it to powersave mode and that was that.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prguy85 View Post
    Hmmm what do you mean? I thought I just had to set it to powersave mode and that was that.
    SetCPU should lower your processor speed to save battery. Wait. Maybe it did work. I just turned my screen off and checked my processor and it was down to 245 Mhz from 528. So, I will see if that works.
  6. #6  

    Default

    No I'm not sure if SetCPU is working correctly on my case. The big MHz number on the top portion of the app is the current CPU speed right?

    I'm charging my phone and its at 528MHz (big number on top). Unplugged it goes down to 480MHz. Why doesn't it lower to 245MHz if its set to that speed on Min?
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prguy85 View Post
    No I'm not sure if SetCPU is working correctly on my case. The big MHz number on the top portion of the app is the current CPU speed right?

    I'm charging my phone and its at 528MHz (big number on top). Unplugged it goes down to 480MHz. Why doesn't it lower to 245MHz if its set to that speed on Min?
    I think it's part of the powersave mode. If the screen is on, it will max out the CPU, but when the screen is off it will go down to 245. Turn your screen off for a few and then turn it back on and see if it lowered it to 245. Did you put SetCPU on PowerSave or whatever?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    performance 528 max, 480 min
    ondemand 528 max, 245 min (I think. Not 100% on the min value here)
    powersave 480 max, 245 min
    msm7k 480 max, 245 min.

    You'll only see the absolute min when the phone is asleep. Until we get something better, if you're running a powersave mode you will have to open the setcpu app to pull out of 245. If the setcpu dev can't fix this bug for us, it can be done with scripting:
    Script starts at boot and watches the screen state.
    When screen state = goes to sleep, x=true.
    if x=true and screen state = awake then
    cat the current governor, and echo it back to the system to reset the governer.
    Clumsy. But it should work. That's the project for the weekend. Hopefully the setcpu dev can help us out and this can be ignored if you're using the app.

    For those that want to set their governor without an app or with gscript:
    Code:
    echo "X" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    where X= "performance" "powersave" "ondemand" or "msm7k"
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  9. #9  
    spj
    spj is offline
    spj's Avatar
    Android Custom Creations

    Posts
    85 Posts
    ROM
    saladinROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    performance 528 max, 480 min
    ondemand 528 max, 245 min (I think. Not 100% on the min value here)
    powersave 480 max, 245 min
    msm7k 480 max, 245 min.

    You'll only see the absolute min when the phone is asleep. Until we get something better, if you're running a powersave mode you will have to open the setcpu app to pull out of 245. If the setcpu dev can't fix this bug for us, it can be done with scripting:
    Script starts at boot and watches the screen state.
    When screen state = goes to sleep, x=true.
    if x=true and screen state = awake then
    cat the current governor, and echo it back to the system to reset the governer.
    Clumsy. But it should work. That's the project for the weekend. Hopefully the setcpu dev can help us out and this can be ignored if you're using the app.

    For those that want to set their governor without an app or with gscript:
    Code:
    echo "X" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    where X= "performance" "powersave" "ondemand" or "msm7k"

    thanks that worked
  10. #10  

    Default

    Where can I run that command? Sorry for the noobishness.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prguy85 View Post
    Where can I run that command? Sorry for the noobishness.
    From a terminal on the phone (as root) or from the adb shell.
    "cat" reads what's in the file, and "echo" writes to it.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  12. #12  

    Default

    So I just open a adb shell and type

    echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    And that should do it?
  13. #13  
    spj
    spj is offline
    spj's Avatar
    Android Custom Creations

    Posts
    85 Posts
    ROM
    saladinROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prguy85 View Post
    So I just open a adb shell and type

    echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    And that should do it?

    yep but when you reboot your phone it wont save and you have to redo everything again
  14. #14  

    Default

    Will these functions be added automatically to the beta kernel? I haven't noticed sluggishness based on CPU speed yet.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Been testing this using SysTray to see Free RAM. After having it turned on for about 12 hours, I notice Free RAM is less than when bootup (normal I guess). On boot it was at 80MB and after those 12 hours (charging without that much use), its now at 60-62 MB free ram. This is normal I presume right?
  16. #16  

    Default

    Does this kernel have compcache and all the other goodies too?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prguy85 View Post
    So I just open a adb shell and type

    echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    And that should do it?
    Yes, but IMO it's easier to do it on the device itself. Even easier to use the setcpu app to set the governor and pretend like the rest of the app isn't there

    Quote Originally Posted by spj View Post
    yep but when you reboot your phone it wont save and you have to redo everything again
    Correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by prguy85 View Post
    Will these functions be added automatically to the beta kernel? I haven't noticed sluggishness based on CPU speed yet.
    Right now, it's set to performance on boot. I figured it would be best not to throttle it down, and those that want to cut it back can with commands. This afternoon I'll make a patch or two you can flash and have it set to powersave or ondemand at boot time instead. You'll still be able to change it while it's running, I'll just change the boot parameter,

    Quote Originally Posted by prguy85 View Post
    Been testing this using SysTray to see Free RAM. After having it turned on for about 12 hours, I notice Free RAM is less than when bootup (normal I guess). On boot it was at 80MB and after those 12 hours (charging without that much use), its now at 60-62 MB free ram. This is normal I presume right?
    That's the expected result. Normally without user interference the phone will let RAM go down to about 26 Mb free before it starts killing off old processes. I'm sitting at 63 Mb free since last reboot (14 hours ago). It should keep you above 60 at all times while sitting idle.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irishman06 View Post
    Does this kernel have compcache and all the other goodies too?
    Nope. I've seen some odd result from using compcache (apps not closing as they should, crazy lag at times) and have heard reports from others. I need to test this before i add anything else to the mix. IMO this ram hack works better than compcache for performance boost, but eventually both will be in.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  19. #19  
    spj
    spj is offline
    spj's Avatar
    Android Custom Creations

    Posts
    85 Posts
    ROM
    saladinROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Nope. I've seen some odd result from using compcache (apps not closing as they should, crazy lag at times) and have heard reports from others. I need to test this before i add anything else to the mix. IMO this ram hack works better than compcache for performance boost, but eventually both will be in.
    yep, me personality i wouldn't want that on a rom i had serous boot time.It was crazy, i booted up my laptop along with my device and the winner was my laptop...lol

    Removing the file didn't help even loading another rom after wipe didn't fix it.I had to go back to stock and start all over rooting and installing gumbo...now its stupid smooth..lol
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spj View Post
    yep, me personality i wouldn't want that on a rom i had serous boot time.It was crazy, i booted up my laptop along with my device and the winner was my laptop...lol

    Removing the file didn't help even loading another rom after wipe didn't fix it.I had to go back to stock and start all over rooting and installing gumbo...now its stupid smooth..lol
    The theory is good. I think there is an issue with one of our kernel drivers. The setcpu dev has given me some great info and I'm looking inot things. Anything I find out I'll be sure to share with Paul.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  21. #21  

    Default

    Well, been testing the latest kernel today. It has gone 10 hours and the battery is at 46/100. I used EVDO most of the time, if not all. I made 3-4 calls, which could have lasted 45 minutes combined. I also sent some text messages and did light browsing as well as used Twidroid.

    Battery life has improved yet I can't see my phone lasting 50 hours like gbhil reports. At this rate with this usage my phone would last 20 hours. I only have background Gmail working, every other background updating/notifications are turned off. Screen brightness is at 20%, I use Handcent SMS.

    Any ideas?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default

    Off the charger 11 hours 4 minutes ago @100% (8:19PM EST)
    Away from home and using cellular data all day 73/100 for battery. Google syncing is always on, and I even used Sprint Nav for about 30 minutes looking for a way home from the ski resort that wasn't snowed in.

    About half the performance I get at home/work using wifi. All I can think of is signal performance/EVDO radio power draw.

    What's most important to this test is the fact that you're seeing improved battery performance, and hopefully better overall system response.

    For the good news - New version up as soon as i can reboot, sign the zip (don't have jdk6 on this development box), reboot back and upload. This version is 100% working with setcpu thanks to coolbho3000 (the setcpu dev). Governor sets as expected, processor ramps back to set value when woken up, and the sliders work. I recommend 528 max 160 min for normal use, 528 max 480 for performance, and 480 160 for powersave/msm7k.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  23. #23  

    Default

    Let me know when I can test it out!

    Yet, still don't know how you get that crazy performance!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default

    new version is up.


    Now that HTC performance lock is stripped out I'm going to try compcache next.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  25. #25  
    obannvi's Avatar

    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default

    Can this be flashed over the previous kernel you had?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B