rename Direct Dialer shortcuts?

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Just upgraded to the new 2.1 firmware, doesn't seem any faster, frankly.

One cosmetic problem:
How do I rename (or recreate) Direct Dialer shortcuts?

Before, on the original 1.5 firmware, I was able to use 'AnyCut' to create new shortcuts and custom-label them. But now AnyCut seems to be incompatible with the 2.1 firmware, at least it's unable to 'find' any of my Exchange-based Contacts.

Is there an alternative to AnyCut that's more compatible with the Hero+2.1, or is there a new 'rename' function included with 2.1 now?

Thank you for any suggestions!

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
nevermind, I got a suggestion to use FolderOrganizer Lite which worked (though it requires two steps to do what AnyCut used to accomplish in one)

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Ugh, FolderOrganizer Lite 'works' but it's really really slow to dial a Direct Dial shortcut, e.g. 3-4 seconds. It looks like it doesn't directly dial, instead it loads FolderOrganizer (first delay) then it jumps to the app's built-in Shortcuts list (second delay) and loads the dialer from there.

So I'd still like to find a better solution, i.e., something that creates re-labeled shortcuts (on the Home screen) which directly activate the Direct Dial. Any more suggestions?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used this, but can't you add contacts to the home screen, like you would a widget. I don't know about renaming it, but you should be able to put a contact there and call.... Same with the people widget, you can set defaults to either call/text/e-mail from the widget.

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The HTC people widget works for me, it'll even add whole "groups" at once which is good... and it can be named... 1 touch to dial my hubby, that's perfect for me...

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I wasn't familiar with that one! it's not quite what I'm looking for but it does let you pick a default action, e.g. one-touch dial. And it doesn't include the unnecessary "Call " wording to the label. Also, it's a big widget and clearly intended for groups; I only want 2 shortcuts.

The other issue is that I don't want to rename my Contacts. I suppose I could create duplicates with shortened names, e.g. "Home", and put those in a new/dedicated group.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
ok this doesn't work for me - here's what I want to do:

I have my wife as one contact in People, with her cellphone number and home number. I want to create one shortcut to direct dial Wife-Cell and another to direct dial Wife-Home. When I add 2 direct dials, it doesn't tell me which one is which. Is there a way to rename these, or a different way to do this?