Restoring Apps and Data

madhat11

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my Hero for over a month and love the phone. Since then, i have been reading this forum on a daily basis and it has been a huge help in getting the most out of my Hero. In reading the threads today, they said to backup your apps and data to your SD card prior to installing the new version.

I downloaded Astro from the Market and backed up the data and successfully installed the new version of Android. Now, I want to restore the apps and data but do not have any idea how to make this happen. I downloaded Astro again and can see the backup apps and data but do not see how to restore the information to my Hero.

Can Astro restore the information or do I need to download a different application? Is there another application pre-installed that can restore information? Should I just go out to the market and download all of my apps again?

Sorry for the long post.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
i just typed an answer and the gateway timed out and i lost it. argghhh....

anyway...

Two people, myself included, have reinstalled apps thru Astro on the latest 2.1 only to have the Manage Applications app crash when accessed. so i advise against it for now. that being said... You may open astro, click tools / backup. then click the righthand tab, click the uppermost checkbox and click install. Or use Linda Manager (another file manager)and click SD Card/Backups/Apps and click each file individually... Or goto the Market and redo all.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The first time you log into your phone after an update, it lists all your apps (if available) under the downloads section and you can redownload each one. Don't exit the screen cause they disappear if you do. If you have a ton of apps, go to settings first and setup a wifi connection before going into the market.

jsage

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The first time you log into your phone after an update, it lists all your apps (if available) under the downloads section and you can redownload each one. Don't exit the screen cause they disappear if you do.

... found that out the hard way! fortunately I'd used MyBackup Pro before upgrading.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
madhat11 can you now access Manage Applications? i reinstalled everything thru the market this morning as well and i cannot. i thought it was astro but i guess im wrong. anyway i have the devs here checking my log to see if they can find the issue.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
OK with that being said, the questions was still not fully answered, for the apps we can download them again, but I backed up my people phone contacts to my SD card using Astro, how do I restore those contacts and my pictures once I do the upgrade, and is there a better program to back up the contacts from the phone to the PC, then send them back from the PC back onto the phone, would feel better having 2 different backups in case one does not work, can't hurt, LOL

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
OK with that being said, the questions was still not fully answered, for the apps we can download them again, but I backed up my people phone contacts to my SD card using Astro, how do I restore those contacts and my pictures once I do the upgrade, and is there a better program to back up the contacts from the phone to the PC, then send them back from the PC back onto the phone, would feel better having 2 different backups in case one does not work, can't hurt, LOL

If you have your contacts saved to gmail then when your phone first boots after upgrade sign into your google account and it will sync all your contacts.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have contacts saved to my Gmail, but not all my Gmail contacts have the phone numbers in them, like I have in the People widget, that is what I want to restore , or at least know how to restore it after I do the upgrade, in case I am not making myself clear, when you have a phone, and then upgrade your phone, I would go to the Sprint store and they would transfer my phone contacts from my old phone to my new phone, that is what I want to do without having to go to the Sprint store, or am I going about this the wrong way lol

If you have your contacts saved to gmail then when your phone first boots after upgrade sign into your google account and it will sync all your contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa