Is the Hero worth $100 after 2.1?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I've had a Hero before.....started with a Pre. I took the Hero back for the Pre because of lag and lockups. I've found someone who will sell a Hero for $100. I can't get the EVO because I am not eligible for my upgrade until December and I guess it's $599 (according to Est Buy's website) instead of the originally annonced $450 (or else I'd trade my Pre, the Hero, and old HTC Diamond and get the phone near contract renewal price.)

With 2.1, is the Hero worth $100? I'm worried about the Pre's future and really want to use apps like Google Goggles and barcode scanners because I miss those from Android.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You can get a brand new Hero for $99 at Best Buy (with contract).

If you are already on contract and just want the phone until December when you plan to upgrade, then just wait with your Pre.

It is definitely worth $100, but maybe not if it's only going to be for the next 6 months before you upgrade to EVO...besides do you know how used your friend's version is?

Web OS is great, Pre is dead.

If you don't mind parting with the money and your friend took great care of the phone, it's pretty awesome with 2.1...just do a reset to factory to clean off any trash they had on the phone.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, Id say My Hero is worth it :)
I'm having no issues with lag... but then again, its Overclocked to 768MHz with custom memory settings. Definitely happy with the way its running now. Live wallpapers can run, but I live without them.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I think the person on craigslist said that it's a little banged up, because he originally wanted 120. Like I said...i know the Pre isn't going anywhere with the HP announcements (whether they covered up what the CEO said or not I don't trust HP's intentions. I mean printers...come on.)

I was planning to keep the Pre (with overclocking) and run a 2.1 root with overclock to overcome the lag. I just want the Hero for the useful apps like Google goggles and bar code scanners that webOS will never see.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I think the person on craigslist said that it's a little banged up, because he originally wanted 120. Like I said...i know the Pre isn't going anywhere with the HP announcements (whether they covered up what the CEO said or not I don't trust HP's intentions. I mean printers...come on.)

I was planning to keep the Pre (with overclocking) and run a 2.1 root with overclock to overcome the lag. I just want the Hero for the useful apps like Google goggles and bar code scanners that webOS will never see.

Im going to go with rufflez here my hero's worth a 100:D I wouldn't pay anymore then that for it tho.My gf just got evo yesterday and even tho im jealous and its a great phone,I still love my HERO.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I played with the EVO on release day. My annual upgrade is not available until November, however after handling the EVO, I was able to walk myself away from the ledge.

I 100% plan to get it in November, but (other than speed and screen size) it was such a similar experience as my Hero on 2.1, that I no longer feel as though I can't wait.

My Hero is such a great phone, that I feel no urgency to HAVE to get the EVO before my upgrade is ready.

Come talk to me after 2.2 is released on the EVO...I may change my tune and start twitching again...

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
So is the lag when you multi-task fixed? On 1.5, when I would browse the web and listen to music at the same time the phone would lock up so bad. Also, is the keyboard lag fxed?