Slow charging on USB?

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
My phone seems to take way longer charging on USB than on a regular outlet. I know it's not unusual to take longer that way, but it takes several hours to get from 30 or 40% full to 100% full.

Is anyone else noticing that?

OlSarge

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have been noticing this awell but not sure why. the only thing I can think of is that the phone try's to focus more on syncing than charging, thats why the Pre had a just charge icon.

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the sync thing is on all the time while it's plugged in. My Pre could charge fully in 3 hours. I plugged my Hero in 2 hours and 30 minutes ago and it's only gone up 5 of the 10 battery bars. It took close to 6 hours via USB to charge it fully last time. That's a bit much.

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I just use the wall charger that came with mine. The reason I went with android was so I didn't have to plug my phone into a computer to do anything with it.

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The wall charger is nicer, but I charge mine at my work desk quite a bit and i use the wall charger at home. I've used my USB for the past 3 or 4 phones to charge at work so it's just what I was used to...

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Are you charging from a laptop? Some don't put out much power, at least not as much as a desktop. That's why some external hard drives or optical drives need two USB ports to operate.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Turn off USB debugging on the phone, Unmount the USB device from the PC.

Or Buy a USB->mini USB cable with only 2 pins for the power circuit vs. one with a data connection as well.

Or disable the HTC driver.

Any of these will allow the phone to use a power only connection vs. a shared power/data connection, and the charging rate will be faster.

@kehanra69 - Make sure you're using one of the USB ports directly attached to the PC motherboard. These are usually the 2 or 4 on the back beside the PC power connection. The other are all using an internal hub, and are likely not "powered" USB ports.

Angelo921

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Turn off USB debugging on the phone, Unmount the USB device from the PC.

Or Buy a USB->mini USB cable with only 2 pins for the power circuit vs. one with a data connection as well.

Or disable the HTC driver.

Any of these will allow the phone to use a power only connection vs. a shared power/data connection, and the charging rate will be faster.

@kehanra69 - Make sure you're using one of the USB ports directly attached to the PC motherboard. These are usually the 2 or 4 on the back beside the PC power connection. The other are all using an internal hub, and are likely not "powered" USB ports.

Where do I go to Turn off USB debugging on the Hero?