Review of Jetstream

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Since I have used every tablet on the market, I figured I might as well try the Jetstream too.

Here is a quick review for those wondering what this device is like:

I picked this up at a local AT&T store this morning. The store was only shipped one, but it was one more than the first store I tried. Obviously AT&T doesn't expect to sell many for the price.

The Scribe Pen is free with the purchase of the Jetstream. For the $, they should give you something. I still find it odd that HTC doesn't include the Pen in the box. I compare that to buying a new car, but the motor is separate.

The size and weight are very nice. Smaller and lighter than the HP Touchpad or Toshiba Thrive.
It has a nice metal back. The back is smooth. I think I prefer the Lenova rubbery back compared to any other tablets. But this back looks sharp, and is well designed.

The outer casing has a slight curved design, very similar to the HTC FLyer, or EVO View. This is nice, as you can lay it flat of the screen, but the slight curve keeps the screen from touching the surface.

The screen is beautiful. Nice, bright and clear. Very well done.

The Sense Launcher is nice. I really liked the Flyer/View for it's use of Sense, so this is thumbs up.

The overall speed of the device is great so far, but it needs to be put through a workout before I can really comment. My initial impression is that apps open quick and fast, and web browsing is better than other tabs, especially with loading pages.

The Pen input is just like the Flyer/View. For taking notes, the screen size is perfect. I am also currently trying out a Lenova Thinkpad, and I prefer the Jetstream especially with it's Pen Input and PDF annotating. The Jetstream also allows you to write/draw on any screen anytime, which is great for jotting down notes.

Overall I really like this device. The price point is obviously off the mark, but when you compare it to a 3G iPad, I would pick the Jetstream over the iPad. The 4G, and the Pen input really appeal to me.

JOHN

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
well, if nothing else it's fast....

I got handed one yesterday to evaluate, could not discuss until today for nondisclosure reasons.

I am still testing it right now (between three other projects)

Physically it's quite nice looking. It's got a metal back with grills for speakers etc and a slide up access port for the sim and micro sd slot. Sort of like the flyer.

It feels subjectively more solid in hand than the galaxy tab 10.1, though a bit heavier.

The screen seems quite good. It blows away the xoom, and seems roughly equal to the tab (colors better, view angles a bit worse).

What is going to make this interesting for some is that based on initial benchmarks with our own in house app, it is THE FASTEST TABLET. We are seeing results anywhere from 30 to 120% faster than the xoom and Samsung. 'm not sure if it justifies the big price premium, but if you are looking bragging rights....

Before anyone asks, no I have not downloaded any of the standard benchmark apps like linpack et al yet. I hope to do so when i get done with our in house app.

Also subjectively, Sense is superior to Touch Wiz on this size device IMO.

I will try to answer any non app specific questions if you post them. Because of testing, I can't load any market or 3rd party apps until testing is complete, and that may take a couple of days.

Just saw that it's 849 off contract. Yowsa.....

I think this is my new tablet (until have to get it back anyway)

shawnee

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
How's the handwriting experience? Would you say its more accurate than the Flyer? I had the flyer and saw plenty of potential in scribe tech. Unfortunately, I ended up returning it because the screen was just too cramped. Are there any noticeable differences between handwriting tech/software vs. the Flyer?

Big Thanks

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
The handwriting is pretty much the same. The selectors are the same. You have the option for taking a screen shot for notes, which I believe before it just took the screen shot.

The screen size is really nice.

How's the handwriting experience? Would you say its more accurate than the Flyer? I had the flyer and saw plenty of potential in scribe tech. Unfortunately, I ended up returning it because the screen was just too cramped. Are there any noticeable differences between handwriting tech/software vs. the Flyer?

Big Thanks

Reactions: shawnee

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The handwriting is pretty much the same. The selectors are the same. You have the option for taking a screen shot for notes, which I believe before it just took the screen shot.

Agreed on the screen size using the stylus. It supports annotation within PDFs which is useful if you do a lot of revisions and editing. I can see a niche market just for those features alone. So far though, support for the stylus is pretty limited.

Completely changing the subject, the headphone jack has above average audio quality

shawnee

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the insight. I might give this one a go.

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
The analogy of a car with no engine is a bit much, but I get your point. I would say it's more like a TV with no remote. Did you buy it just so you could test it, or are you actually gonna keep it?

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I really really hope that htc releases a wifi only version, because I really liked it. I have a gt10.1 and would love to have the jetstream also

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch