Does it support wireless charging? (Qi)

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Seems as if the newer handsets all do, but I didnt see anything to indicate this from official specs

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Metal chassis? Well, the iterd has a metal (aluminum) chassis and it supports qi wireless charging so that crap is out of whack. It's simple. Remember the patent licensing between Apple and HTC?? I'm sure Apple figured out a way to do it but didn't/wouldn't license it to HTC if the "one" uses an aluminum chassis. Either that or HTC needed to keep it's cost down to be able to sell it cheaper than the S4. Either way, I call bunk. HTC needs to be "future" proof if they want/need to stay in the race and this slices and dices its Achilles heel.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Metal chassis? Well, the iterd has a metal (aluminum) chassis and it supports qi wireless charging so that crap is out of whack. It's simple. Remember the patent licensing between Apple and HTC?? I'm sure Apple figured out a way to do it but didn't/wouldn't license it to HTC if the "one" uses an aluminum chassis. Either that or HTC needed to keep it's cost down to be able to sell it cheaper than the S4. Either way, I call bunk. HTC needs to be "future" proof if they want/need to stay in the race and this slices and dices its Achilles heel.

The iphone does not have wireless charging

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is hard on the battery as it creates more heat, so while convenient, maybe not the best idea with a non-replaceable battery. Also, isn't the battery in between the screen and electronics? This may also be a roadblock.

"Batteries are also exposed to elevated temperature when charging on wireless chargers. The energy transfer from a charging mat to a portable device is 70 to 80 percent and the remaining 20 to 30 percent is lost mostly in heat that is transferred to the battery through the mat. We keep in mind that the mat will cool down once the battery is fully charged. Read more about Charging Without Wires." How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

"Lost energy turns into heat and a wireless charger can get quite warm during charge. Any temperature increase to the battery causes undue stress, and batteries charged on wireless devices may not last as long on a mat as on the regular plug-in charger. It should be noted that the heat buildup only occurs during charging; the Qi wireless charger will cool down when the battery is fully charged." Charging Batteries Without Wires

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OK I'm digressing here.....

It doesn't do wireless natively but it does with a sleeve. I bet the refresh though, 5S? will have it.
Any phone cab support it if someone makes a case or sleeve for it, so in that sense yes. Bit as others said no all metal phone can support it because you'd basically electrifying the entire shell.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I fall into the camp of not caring about wireless charging. Until they figure out how to make it more efficient and get a higher charging rate into the phone I'll pass. I will not deny it is much more convenient to drop your phone onto a pad then plug it into a cable. Bit as of now that benefit is negated by long charge times.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I fall into the camp of not caring about wireless charging. Until they figure out how to make it more efficient and get a higher charging rate into the phone I'll pass. I will not deny it is much more convenient to drop your phone onto a pad then plug it into a cable. Bit as of now that benefit is negated by long charge times.

If they would just make decent docks for these things then it really wouldn't be much more convenient either.