More "info" on launch... ATT black 64gb, T-Mobile)

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought the SIM cards was only used to get LTE.. Not to activate the phone on Sprint network.

Yeah I don't know how it is on sprint. But on Verizon a LTE phone cannot be activated at all without a sim. So it's not like you can use evdo or 3g without a sim. Once the sim is taken out there's no service. But like you said the older cdma phones don't use Sims at all. But again, I'm not sire about sprint. Last time I had them they were still messing around with Wimax.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the SIM is for LTE only. The EVO 4G LTE has an embedded SIM just for LTE.

So it appears sprint phones do use Sims but people just cant/don't swap them like on other carriers? So can the LTE phone work without the sim? Meaning voice calls and access to evdo and 3g service. Verizon's can't. Sim is needed for activation and use.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
So it appears sprint phones do use Sims but people just cant/don't swap them like on other carriers? So can the LTE phone work without the sim? Meaning voice calls and access to evdo and 3g service. Verizon's can't. Sim is needed for activation and use.

My best guess is that the SIM would be required for activation and use.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
My best guess is that the SIM would be required for activation and use.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking after some of the other responses. So I guess the correct thing to say was cdma only phones don't use sim cards but LTE phones do. Learn something everyday.

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The question here is can a Sprint Phone that uses a SIM card still work and be activated without the SIM card... (3G etc)

Or did sprint drop the whole ESN thing and want to be a GSM carrier now

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The question here is can a Sprint Phone that uses a SIM card still work and be activated without the SIM card... (3G etc)

Or did sprint drop the whole ESN thing and want to be a GSM carrier now

Based on how it is with Verizon, I would say 'no' - the SIM card is most likely required for activation and the phone will have an IMEI number. Best way to verify is with an iPhone 5 user.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty