T-Mobile via Consumer Cellular

modeler

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
I am using T-Mobile service on Consumer Cellular. I recently called Consumer Cellular with a question about my account. The customer rep told me that T-Mobile service is being discontinued and I must switch to ATT. I declined the rep's offer to send me an ATT sim, because ATT signals are very weak in my neighborhood. If my only option is to switch to ATT I will have to change to a T-Mobile service provider. On the other hand, if the rep is only being encouraged to get more customers to use ATT I will continue with Consumer Cellular.

Does anyone have any experience or comments concerning this issue?

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No experience with that, but check out Ting Mobile (I use it). They have agreements with multiple carriers (I'm on T-Mobile's network through them) and their prices are a bit better.

If the rep at Consumer Cellular is directly saying they are discontinuing the AT&T contract - it's probably valid as it happens every so often.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Why not just sign up with T-Mobile directly? I use T-Mobile prepaid and it is a bit cheaper than postpaid. I am pretty sure they have senior type discount as well.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It seems fishy to me that the first time you're hearing this is when you made an unrelated call to CS. I would think that there would have been some push notification to you, and other TMo customers on CC, about that. Maybe call again and see if another rep confirms this.

Consider Mint Mobile if you need to switch. Best value for moderate data users that runs on TMo towers. Only downside is that customer service will not be up to Consumer Cellular standards.

modeler

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
I am using T-Mobile service on Consumer Cellular. I recently called Consumer Cellular with a question about my account. The customer rep told me that T-Mobile service is being discontinued and I must switch to ATT. I declined the rep's offer to send me an ATT sim, because ATT signals are very weak in my neighborhood. If my only option is to switch to ATT I will have to change to a T-Mobile service provider. On the other hand, if the rep is only being encouraged to get more customers to use ATT I will continue with Consumer Cellular.

Does anyone have any experience or comments concerning this issue?
On the off-chance that ATT has improved its coverage since I last used them 2 years ago, I switched my CC account from TMO to ATT towers. ATT signal strength varies all over the place, from weaker than -120dBm to as strong as -112dBm. TMO signal strength had been much more consistent, running at around -105dBm. The degradation in ping and download speeds between TMO and ATT is quite obvious. Comparison made between my phone on ATT and my wife's phone still on TMO with CC. I have yet to connect via 5G with ATT towers, whereas 5G was often good with TMO. These tests were made within several hundred feet of my residence. Of course differences vary with location. I will continue the comparison at other locations before deciding on whether to stay with ATT towers or go to TMO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000