Just held the HTC one in the store

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
i can tell ya why. Not to be mean (however true : ) BUT its because (most) phone store clerks are i-d-i-o-t-s and if it were left up to them HTC wouldn't sell ONE unit...lol

If HTC wants to get back to the top, they should do tons more advertising, cut out the middleman, & sell directly to the customer.

Most store clerks drive sales AWAY with their inexperience and unfamiliarity with the products they sell. The sales they DO make are prolly from customers that had their mind set to get the phone before they ever got in front of the salesperson....They sit their bored all day, pick up the phone and learn it for goodness sake! (Rant over : )

BTC

When the phone puts itself battery saving mode it doesn't automatically turn off again when plugged in, so any time the powers off and phones been below a certain level it will stay on till someone instore turns it off again in the notification centre.

sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Online hype. You do realize that almost every reviewer, people that get paid to do reviews, are totally enamored with the HTC One. The first statement on every review is build quality. Reviewers from phonedog, technobuffalo, and pocketnow. All want the HTC One as their personal phone. I think I will go with their opinion.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's noncompliance from app developers that causes this and it can't be "disabled". The S4 will have the same issue in the same apps.

What causes this is HTC not being compliant in having only hardware buttons. In fact, it has nothing to do with developers.
Of course if HTC went with all on screen buttons, then you will also have such a black bar, but now it would be normal to have all on screen buttons and that black bar.

On the s4, this won't happen.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Online hype. You do realize that almost every reviewer, people that get paid to do reviews, are totally enamored with the HTC One. The first statement on every review is build quality. Reviewers from phonedog, technobuffalo, and pocketnow. All want the HTC One as their personal phone. I think I will go with their opinion.

Let's see what happens when the S4 becomes available. There is still an embargo on reviews of the US version. So far GSMarena and PhoneArena have rated the S4 higher than the One. Cant find a review that goes the other way.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
What causes this is HTC not being compliant in having only hardware buttons. In fact, it has nothing to do with developers.
Of course if HTC went with all on screen buttons, then you will also have such a black bar, but now it would be normal to have all on screen buttons and that black bar.

On the s4, this won't happen.

Very true. In my short time with the One in the store, I found the black bar persistent and annoying.

theodoreandon

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Not actually, they HTC one still is a great option to have if u looking for a phone, my girlfriend wants nothing to do with android... From the hype on this site about build quality and screen I thought it could get me away from buying a s4...but in person it's small and texture and shape just doesn't blow me away... If it wasn't for all the hype I'm sure if that was my first time ever seeing hearing and seeing the phone I would felt different, just like hype of s4 was let down to some, HTC one in person from online hype is just Ok

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

The S4 is plastic. It feels like a toy. I cant stand dudes like this. So pea-brained.

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's noncompliance from app developers that causes this and it can't be "disabled". The S4 will have the same issue in the same apps.

Is the black bar around the same height as the on screen buttons of the nexus? If so, i should be used to this.

Sent from Ravenholm.

BlackWindow8

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Not blown away. Before I touched the HTC One, the Galaxy 4 was not a consideration. Now that I've actually got a feel of it, Samsung might just get my money

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this is accurate. The spec from Google is to eliminate the menu button. HTC has done this. Developers are supposed to update their apps so they aren't dependent on a menu button. Some developers have not done this, thus the black bar that is used for menu access.

If the spec also states that buttons should be physical, so be it, but that isn't a factor here.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Lay the phones side by side! Use both the phones! Anyone that says they like the Samsung more obviously likes either the branding or defending their choice. You aren't convincing me. The one is superior. There's a reason that reviewers are liking the one. Htc is getting aggressive and Samsung fans are feeling upset about their own design. Don't hate it's all good

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Lay the phones side by side! Use both the phones! Anyone that says they like the Samsung more obviously likes either the branding or defending their choice. You aren't convincing me. The one is superior. There's a reason that reviewers are liking the one. Htc is getting aggressive and Samsung fans are feeling upset about their own design. Don't hate it's all good

Wow, please pass around the magic mushrooms. Sure reviewers love the One, and with good reason. They also love the S4 with good reason. The only head to heads I've seen have the S4 on top.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is accurate. The spec from Google is to eliminate the menu button. HTC has done this. Developers are supposed to update their apps so they aren't dependent on a menu button. Some developers have not done this, thus the black bar that is used for menu access.

If the spec also states that buttons should be physical, so be it, but that isn't a factor here.

The spec from google is that all buttons are to be software or on screen. Not just the menu button.

Since HTC did NOT comply, they are out of spec.

What you have been hearing is what some here would call "hype". I call it being lied to. But I'm still getting the HTC One regardless, mostly because I know what I'm getting into and can see right through the hype.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Don't hate...words you should learn to live by.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

HTC has less than a 2 week window to sell a sh_tload of One's. One the S4 hits the shelves and Samsung and the carriers start pimping the S4 as we all know they will, it's hard to see the One competing in any serious fashion for consumer oxygen and actual sales. Will it help HTC survive? Almost definitely but each uber-successful release Samsung gets closer and closer to complete domination, for better or for worse.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I held one when I went into the shop last week. I also thought the same. The phone felt just ok. Build quality seemed good but I didn't get all excited about it. I wouldnt say it's as nice as an iphone 5 to hold.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87