Bacon flavored, HTC One shaped Batman.

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to offer a small, simplified mini-review of what I do and do not like about the phone. I encourage you guys to tag along, maybe you can even offer insight on some things that I may have found issues with. :)

Disclaimer: This "review" is strictly my opinion on things. Don't make it anything more than that, please.

Exterior Design: I'll start off and say I'm one of the lucky ones. No gaps. No corner overhangs. No pixel issues. No rough edges or catches. The phone is flawlessly built.

What I like:
Aluminum build.
Speaker placement.

Preference things:

I would rather have had volume rocker on the left side of the phone, power button on the right side. However, I understand why they have it where it's at. (IR Blaster) No points docked.
A little less bezel.

What I don't like:

Two button layout. I know there has been much discussion here, but it's just my opinion. It's something I'll get used to, but I would have preferred a 3 button layout, "google standards" or not. -1

Score: 9/10

Display: Density King.

What I like:
Incredibly dense. Text and lines are sharp and clean.
Colors accurate, whites are white.

What I don't like:
Could be brighter at max brightness -.5
Blacks aren't as black as I'm used to. However, coming from amoled and understanding how both displays work, I know why. No points docked.

Overall: 9.5/10

Speakers:
BOOMSound!

What I like:
Everything. Range, volume, placement, overall sound quality, and the list goes on. They're just on a different level than everything else I've ever used.

Overall: 10/10

Call Quality, Speakerphone, Contacts, Messaging: Call me mayb...no, that song is f***ing terrible.

What I like:
Call quality is fantastic.
Speakerphone is loud and clear.
"People" is well put together and extensive. I like the thread/feed tabs in regards to each contact, and also the People Widget.
Messaging is great. Love the UI, settings, and theme choices.

What I don't like:

On the other side of things with "People," some of it could be made a bit more streamlined and less jumping through hoops. That can be said for most of Sense 5, but getting to that next. -.5

Overall: 9.5/10

Camera: Almost Ultra.

What I like:
Feature set with zoes, highlights, etc.
Night shots and HDR are very solid.
Great macro shots.

What I don't like:

*Hate* The camera setup/UI. Much prefer the stock 4.2.2 one I had on my GNex. -.5
The auto settings are not ideal. Sharpness needs to be taken down to -1, saturation (sometimes) needs to be bumped to +1, Auto ISO choices tend to be off. -1
Lack of resolution tends to play a factor in distant details. -1

Overall: 7.5/10

Sense:
SPIRIT FINGERS, PEOPLE. SPIRIT FINGERS.

What I like:
Feature rich.
Honestly, I love blinkfeed and the weather widget attached.
Folder system in the app drawer is wonderful and welcomed.
Love the people widget, as I have 10-12 "favorites."
New look of Sense 5 > Sense 4
Snappy, responsive, seems less boggy than Sense 4.
Keyboard is the ****. I had Swiftkey on my Gnex, no plans of installing it on the One.
Browser is sleek and snappy
TV tool is neat

What I don't like:

Blinkfeed needs more customization and freedom. -.5
Screens/windows should be able to be placed in whatever order desired. Not just left to right. -.5
Much like I referenced in the People section, there is a lot of hoop jumping, hopping around, long ways in sense 5 that I think could be streamlined and made shorter/more efficient. -1

Overall: 8/10

Battery: Not a Maxx, not a Thunderbolt. :p

Not really a like/don't like deal. Can't say much, really as this is based off 24 hours. For a battery unconditioned to my uses, and the fact that there's still more than I can optimize, it has done well.

Overall: 8/10

Breakdown:
Sauron's Secret Phone

Design: 9/10
Display: 9.5/10
Speakers: 10/10
Call Center: 9.5/10
Camera: 7.5/10
Sense: 8/10
Battery: 8/10

Total: 61.5/70

88%

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Single greatest One review on the interwebs.

Really good review. Thank you personally and for all the others reading this that bought the HTC ONE or thinking about it.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Good level headed review! I personally am a HTC sheep and would give everything a 10! Lol:-D

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, guys. Review is super simple, but that's about as deep as 24 hours of use will allow. Might do another one in a month or two with some legitimate analysis and writing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez