Which ONE Should I Get?

wirelessG

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been a Verizon customer for years (and still have unlimited LTE data) but I'm thinking of switching for the HTC One. The main reason (aside from Verizon's prices and the One being so beautiful) is that I travel in Asia every year, and would like a phone that lets me pop in a local SIM and get cheap local data/voice.

But which One should I get? I don't know much about the different bands out there, but I read in user comments that the unlocked Developer Edition isn't fully compatible with T-Mobile's network here in the U.S. and that I'd get 2G connections most of the time. That's no good. And I don't want to pay AT&T prices, since $$$ is the other reason I'm leaving Verizon!

My question is: if I buy the T-Mobile version of the HTC One, will it still be unlockable and usable in Southeast Asia? Or if I get the Developer Edition, will it really be that bad on T-Mobile?

Sterling147

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Is there a reason that you are not considering Sprint? They have reasonable plans and the Sprint version is a world phone. I am not a Sprint employee, although I do have my service with Sprint. I am just wondering. I could definitely understand if you were considering a S4, where Sprint is charging their customers and extra $50.

wirelessG

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, I read the sticky about the Sprint version having a SIM card slot, which was surprising, but there seemed to be a lot of unanswered questions in the thread regarding the bands it would use for HSPA, compatibility with international networks, etc. I guess I just figured T-Mobile and AT&T were the only ones using HSPA themselves, so it'd be a safer bet. Also, avoiding a 2-year contract would be nice, especially if I buy the phone outright. But I know Sprint has some good plans.

poncewattle

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
if I get the Developer Edition, will it really be that bad on T-Mobile?

Check out this user-generated map. No idea how reliable it is. But according to that, I live in a T-mobile refarmed area so I'm going to try a Simple Mobile sim (a TMO MVNO) in my HTC One when I get it this week and see. If that's the case, I should get 4G and eventually LTE that works on the Developer Edition.

(If it sucks, I plan to add it to my AT&T plan)