PSA: Zagg Shield - Beware

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI - I had a Zagg HD on my One for approximately a night. Night/day difference with the home/back buttons--in a very negative way.

As always, YMMV.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Good. I just took mine off and hope to find the buttons more responsive. I emailed Zagg with a picture of the shield on the device. Hopefully they can make a design change.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a Skinomi on mine and had been thinking that there was perhaps a software issue with the home back buttons on the phone since there have been some other reports of them working whenever they feel like it. So same issue with the Skinomi screen protector.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Good. I just took mine off and hope to find the buttons more responsive. I emailed Zagg with a picture of the shield on the device. Hopefully they can make a design change.

Appreciate your efforts. Keep us posted if they get back to you. I was impressed with the HD--I've only had the older, more orange peely ones. The keys were frustrating as all hell though, and taking it off made their effect ever more present and clear.

I have a Skinomi on mine and had been thinking that there was perhaps a software issue with the home back buttons on the phone since there have been some other reports of them working whenever they feel like it. So same issue with the Skinomi screen protector.

If this is the case, then I can see some validity in some folks' concerns regarding the buttons sensitivity. A screen shield should not inhibit enjoyment like that, at least IMO.

Does any one have a screen protector that does not negatively affect use?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Other people have stated this already.

Well that is disappointing :(

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I put a Zagg on over the weekend and so far I haven't really noticed any difference with the buttons. I do use Swapps, which is an awesome app, and that has been a little hindered due to the shield. I might up taking the front off and leaving the back on protector on.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I put a Zagg on over the weekend and so far I haven't really noticed any difference with the buttons. I do use Swapps, which is an awesome app, and that has been a little hindered due to the shield. I might up taking the front off and leaving the back on protector on.

Do you have the "HD" version or the "regular" version? Would be interested to see if there's any substantive difference.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing with Xtreme guard so I just trimmed it a little and now I'm fine. Entire screen is protected and the soft keys are not covered. It's not the screen protectors, it's the soft keys and they do not respond well when under this type of surfaces. I put a piece of tape on them just to test and the responsiveness was still bad.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing with Xtreme guard so I just trimmed it a little and now I'm fine. Entire screen is protected and the soft keys are not covered. It's not the screen protectors, it's the soft keys and they do not respond well when under this type of surfaces. I put a piece of tape on them just to test and the responsiveness was still bad.

Interesting. I may try the same once I make a warranty replacement claim on the Zagg.

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Spigen ultra crystal and it's awesome and feels like glass. I have issues with the home/back buttons, but I think I'll live with it instead of having a noticeable seam from the edge of the protector. It's nearly invisible as is.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a Spigen ultra crystal and it's awesome and feels like glass. I have issues with the home/back buttons, but I think I'll live with it instead of having a noticeable seam from the edge of the protector. It's nearly invisible as is.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Must not be that bad if you rather have issues with the button that across the bottom of the screen on the black part that is barely seen. Good luck with that LOL.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Must not be that bad if you rather have issues with the button that across the bottom of the screen on the black part that is barely seen. Good luck with that LOL.

If his is like mine it's intermittent and if you tap at the button a few times it will work. I would rather do that then having a section visibly missing from my screen protector.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If his is like mine it's intermittent and if you tap at the button a few times it will work. I would rather do that then having a section visibly missing from my screen protector.

Yeah that's fine if a person is ok with that. Not knocking anyone's preference. I'd personally rather tap my button once and have it work. Functionality is more important to me than aestetics. And to note, mine runs perfectly along the top and bottom borders of the actual screen part so it looks like that's how it should be and my buttons work on first touch. But, to each it's own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez