what legitimate defense does HTC have for putting MicroSD card slot in the One for just one country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That reminds me of the whole build-your-own-Motorola-X-phone rumor. If done right, it's awesome. If done poorly, it would be the spawn of untold fragmentation. I would agree with you though, that in this case not having external storage options is just fine. That's the direction things are heading, and eventually streaming will be a viable replacement for local media without the time delays, battery hit, and data cap usage that we deal with right now (to varying extents).

If I was going to build my own Android device, it'd look a lot like this:

Attachments

• Don'tPanic.png
    Don'tPanic.png
    647.2 KB · Views: 148

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That's all great...for the future. But as you just pointed out, we are not there yet. And that's what bugs me. I feel that manufactures are putting the cart before the horse and dropping external storage before larger expanded internal storage is viable or before we have networks without the congestion and data cap nightmares that our cell system has become in the United States. We are in a growing pains phase that is very frustrating for the consumer. And it could (and should) be better then that.

I would say we're getting close, though you're right that we aren't there yet. That's just one factor in the discussion of expandable storage though. Manufacturers want to save space, have fewer physical openings on the sides of the device, and push their own streaming solutions. Plus the rather widespread availability of WiFi does somewhat mitigate the streaming issue. I run everything I do off of hotspots ? I don't have a hardline for internet access ? and almost exclusively use streaming solutions. By using my streaming services intelligently, such as by utilizing the caching and offline-storage features of Google (Play) Music, I'm running into fewer and fewer issues.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the 16GB S4 only has 8.82GB actually available to the user. TouchWiz and other bloat-ware take up the rest out of the box.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
what legitimate defense does HTC have for putting MicroSD card slot in the One for just one country?
(while the rest of the world get HTC One phones without MicroSD slots)

(1) cost
(2) demand by Google
(3) kowtowing to the commies
(4) bloody doesn't care
(5) taking customers for granted
(6) want to have negative quarterly report in a few months
(7) lack of space on the phone
(8) don't want to make moeny by seling more One phones
(9) aesthetics
(10) all of the above
I think only HTC can answer that.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
wait... isn't HTC the one abiding by Google's new standard for Android's buttons? I think I read something about Android only having two buttons now (home and back), except that Samsung and most other manufacturers aren't complying with it yet.

You are correct.

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Didnt hurt the Monster IPHONE for not having one now did it.

david

Actually it did, if you go by the latest numbers. For every one iPhone sold today, Android will sell three. True, there was a time with Cupertino was king, but the king is dead... Long live the king. Now, the benefit is that Apple overcharges by 300% for 50% the product and their iDiots will fork over their money without a second thought. And Microsoft makes more money off of Android than Google does. Still, Android outsells the rest in sheer numbers. I guess Tim Cook doesn't believe in thermonuclear war the way Joshua did.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually it did, if you go by the latest numbers. For every one iPhone sold today, Android will sell three. True, there was a time with Cupertino was king, but the king is dead... Long live the king. Now, the benefit is that Apple overcharges by 300% for 50% the product and their iDiots will fork over their money without a second thought. And Microsoft makes more money off of Android than Google does. Still, Android outsells the rest in sheer numbers. I guess Tim Cook doesn't believe in thermonuclear war the way Joshua did.

It didn't actually. The reason android is outselling apple is because of the sheer number of android manufacturers. If android wasn't outselling apple, considering there are over a half dozen android manufacturers, there would be something seriously wrong.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually it did, if you go by the latest numbers. For every one iPhone sold today, Android will sell three. True, there was a time with Cupertino was king, but the king is dead... Long live the king.
Android OS outsells iOS by a large margin these days, but that isn't the only important metric. Android is often used because it's a cheap (read: free) OS. Recent browser stats show that far more people are using mobile safari than any other browser. More browser usage on iOS than Android. Additionally there's the app market, devs make more money with iOS apps than with Android. I'm not saying iOS is a better OS or a more popular OS, I'm just pointing out that there are more metrics than just install base which is becoming more and more meaningless.

Now, the benefit is that Apple overcharges by 300% for 50% the product and their iDiots will fork over their money without a second thought.
If Apple was overcharging they wouldn't be selling in the volumes that they are. Econ 101, supply and demand. The market sets the price. Given that Apple often finds itself in a position of not being able to keep up with the demand for their products I'd say their pricing is just fine. If you don't like their pricing or their products then don't buy them. That'll show em.

For many people iOS and Apple devices is the right choice and to label them as idiots is just fanboyish.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Now the HTC One for Japan also gets microsd card slot.... go figure.... it's clear that HTC feels Americans and Europeans don't "deserve" to have the microsd slot...
(either that or HTC engineers think American are too stupid to handle SDcard and extSDcard locations on the HTC One phone... or any Android phone)

Japan's KDDI gets HTC J One with microSD slot | Android Central

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's definitely the only possible conclusion...

Couldn't possibly be differences in how devices are used in different areas with different networks? Lol all of this SD card stuff is ridiculous. Are they angry that cars don't have a hitch to hook up to horses? People are so angry about it without ever trying to consider the better alternatives available or reasons for moving on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
They figured if Apple can why can't they.

I maybe alone on this but it's been a PITA trying to transfer my library and hate that I have to connect it to my iMac.

I rarely use the Camera but I don't go ranting about it. Other than greed there's no excuse for any company not to put one.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
They figured if Apple can why can't they.

I personally don't like Apple iPhone & iPads. However, I have respect for Apple for sticking to their policy. They do not put microSD slots in *any* iPhone... not even for China.

HTC, on the other hand, puts microSD slots for HTC One phones sold in China, and now Japan. I won't be surprised if HTC continues to lose customers.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's definitely the only possible conclusion...

But what IS the real reason? I have heard some things about how the Chinese networks are laid out and how the people use their phone, but what is the explanation for this difference in Japan? I would be interested in knowing.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't like Apple iPhone & iPads. However, I have respect for Apple for sticking to their policy. They do not put microSD slots in *any* iPhone... not even for China.

HTC, on the other hand, puts microSD slots for HTC One phones sold in China, and now Japan. I won't be surprised if HTC continues to lose customers.

Yeah...the microsd slot isn't why they've been losing customers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

sparkly flea

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps because we have a plethora of Cloud options for storage and extensive wireless coverage wherever we wander? Not so much in China. US and "foreign" devices/machines often differ. Do people really feel so cheated? Plenty of other things in life more worthy of angst.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
But what IS the real reason? I have heard some things about how the Chinese networks are laid out and how the people use their phone, but what is the explanation for this difference in Japan? I would be interested in knowing.

You should quit asking for a Real reason because NO ONE HERE KNOWS, and probably never will. People have given their speculative guesses, which you aren't happy with, but unless someone on this forum is on the design board for the One, no one knows the "real" reason. So really it's pointless to ask.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps because we have a plethora of Cloud options for storage and extensive wireless coverage wherever we wander? Not so much in China. US and "foreign" devices/machines often differ. Do people really feel so cheated? Plenty of other things in life more worthy of angst.

Considering the poor networks some carriers have and the data plan limitations that some other carriers have, cloud options are of limited use and value at this point in time in the United States.

sparkly flea

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Considering the poor networks some carriers have and the data plan limitations that some other carriers have, cloud options are of limited use and value at this point in time in the United States.

Depends on your circumstances I suppose. I recently took a road trip from Portland, Oregon to Helena, Montana, about 10 hours or so. 85% of the time I had 3G or better reception. Probably 40% of that was in 4G or 4G LTE. I stayed in hotels with free wifi and in some places I could connect free to AT&T hotspots (no data charges). Coupled with a 6gb data plan and "free" access points I find the Cloud pretty useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.