what is the satellite icon up top?

cstrasz

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've only noticed this the past few days but I'll see a satellite dish blink up top when sending data. Any idea what this represents?

Posted via Android Central App

Dellani Oakes

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I have the same thing on my phone. I haven't used the GPS and I am not sending or receiving any data. It appeared shortly after I updated Google Drive two hours ago and hasn't gone away. I'd like to know how to make it go away. Not that it's a big deal, the blinking bugs me. Yes, stupid and insignificant, but it still bugs me.

gizdroid

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Dellani,

It's possible GPS (location) was defaulted to ON when you were working on transferring the files, especially if you were working with images/video. Most phones come with GPS location enabled for logging where each picture was taken. It's in the "Details" section of the image's or video's file. That's by the way how some criminals get caught..they send a pic to a friend not knowing it contains their precise location on the planet.

A "perhaps" scenario is that while you were working with files, a "backup" app programmer decided to be "helpful" and "safe" and make sure the image files have the GPS location "stamp". It certainly wouldn't be the first time a zealous programmer's "helpful feature" pops-up out of nowhere to affect one's work.

So your solution may be to disable the "location" stamping of images. However, it may come back whenever again you perform backups or file transfers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez