New Convert. Sort of...

opeycunningham

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey y'all. I am a brand new HTC One user after having been an iPhone addict for the past several years. Actually I have at least one of every iPhone that has come out. Still devoted to Apple and the Mac, however, I've been finding the type to be difficult to read lately, and I'm continually frustrated with the screen real estate on the iPhone 5. Also, the user interface is getting stale in my opinion. iPads are great but even the Mini is too big to be useful for a daily workflow and frankly I just don't find myself reaching for it; just too unwieldy to put in content.

I saw the HTC One out in the wild last week and I basically became obsessed with it. Did a lot of internet research, app research, et cetera.

I love this thing. There's really nothing I have on my iPhone in the Mac eco-verse that there doesn't seem to be for droid. The functions and all the option switches are a little daunting, and there are few things that I would really like to have, but I'm completely hooked on this bad boy. So far nothing has been a deal breaker. Slightly disappointed that I can't save photos from email, but not the worst thing in the world.

One thing I particularly like is the ability to start typing either a phone number or a name on the keypad and have the phone run through the permutations. There's nothing like that on iphone. Also there seems to be a learning function when typing text because I see messages that certain words have been "saved." although the voice transcription on iPhone with Siri is pretty good, it doesn't learn and that's really been frustrating to me.

It's weird because almost everything in iphone had become second nature to me and now learning something all over again is a little challenging. This HTC is a giant piece of hardware that I'm afraid I'm going to drop. I'm used to doing everything with one hand including texting, and I dictate most of my emails into Siri. Also I have accidentally squeezed the volume button too hard and jacked the sound way up to painful a level.

I don't see myself getting rid of my iPhone just yet. Maybe soon, but it's kind of my security blanket. Still having a little difficulty syncing contacts and calendars although I think I have it worked out. I seem to have duplicated and triplicated my contact list somehow, but I think that is a relatively minor thing given how awesome this phone is.

I used to be a blackberry addict way back when (loved that pearl--had 3, plus a bunch of others 8820, I think? and others). I even had an HTC running a Windows OS. Or should I say "not running..."

Anyway go easy, and any tips that you have, I'm all ears!

Posted via Android Central App

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to android :) the one is a beautiful device! Don't feel like you have to ditch your iPhone immediately, many users here have an affair between the two.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I keep going back and forth between the iPhone and Android phones, it's awful! I just traded my Galaxy Note 2 for the HTC One, and oh my gosh, I don't know what I'm doing on here anymore! I haven't used an HTC since the Evo 3D and I wasn't too impressed with it. But then I saw the reviews and the camera features on the One and I had to have it (just like I do any other new phone I see). I want the s4 also, but I wanted to get away from Touchwiz for a while...and the camera on the One kept bringing me back. So I traded my N2 for the One and I don't regret it at all! It is almost the perfect size lol.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a big fan of extended experimentation when it comes to gadgets, especially when you get to dive into a whole new ecosystem. Make sure you have a clear picture of any return policies and TRY it. Go on, you know you want to! ;-)

Edit: Whoops, saw you got it already, good for you! My suggestions:

Play around with widgets in depth, they can be great.

Explore live wallpapers, they're silly fun.

If you start getting bored with the phone try an alternative launcher like Nova, even lots more fun.

Give Blinkfeed a shot

Watch youtube videos on all the camera features, there's a lot there.

Try SwiftKey (alternative keyboard)

Look for alternative workflows to be more efficient. Question your habits, don't just try to replicate how iOS does everything.

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I've mostly used iPhones over the years. I've dabbled in android, from time to time, but I always ended up back with the iPhone. The SGS3 almost got me to stick with android, but I just found touchwiz to be insulting. I just got the HTC One today actually, and while that's not long enough to form a really firm opinion, I think I've finally found the android phone that will unhook me from the iPhone for the foreseeable future.

I would recommend installing SwiftKey in place of the stock keyboard. I would also recommend nova launcher. I have to admit I didn't give the sense launcher much of chance. I probably will in due time, though. Make sure to link your Dropbox account, as you will get 25 gb of free storage for 2 years and you can set it to automatically upload all your photos/videos.

Posted via my HTC One

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The biggest advice I can give is to "buy in" to Google. Use the services. Android is only half an os Imo without using the Google services baked in. Like the poster above me said, don't try to do things on the One like you did them on your iPhone. Things will be different and the best way to acclimate is when you have a problem, first, ask yourself what your end goal is, then ask how to do it on Android. You might find that something that initially seems clumsy when compared to iOS may actually be better for you on Android once you get used to it. And never forget, the best thing about Android is you have options, many options. Your next stop in these forums should be the home screen thread. You won't believe how different people make their phones. Good luck and enjoy.

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't see myself getting rid of my iPhone just yet. Maybe soon, but it's kind of my security blanket. Still having a little difficulty syncing contacts and calendars although I think I have it worked out. I seem to have duplicated and triplicated my contact list somehow, but I think that is a relatively minor thing given how awesome this phone is.

I'm with you on the contacts thing. I have my Google contacts syncing with my Mac and all seemed well. What's on my Mac matched perfectly with iCloud and Google. Then my phone started pulling in really OLD Google contacts. I'm talking contacts I've long since deleted from Google and don't show up when I go to Contacts online. When I go to contacts on my phone and look at the duplicates they're both listed as coming from my Gmail account but have completely different information in them (old numbers, email addresses, contact pics, etc). I have no idea where the phone is pulling them in from unless it's an old Google backup or something. I think I've finally got them all straightened out on my phone but now my Mac wants to delete 97 contacts when it tries to sync with Google. I just turned off sync on the Mac to save the headache. That might be the biggest thing I wish the One did better. On my iPhone when I made a change to a contact it was on iCloud and my Mac within seconds. When I change it on my One, God only knows where it's going to change it or if I've changed the right "version" of the contact. It's maddening. I'm sure it's user error on some part and I'll get it figured out eventually. That said, it's not as easy as it should be and I don't consider myself an *****. I would think, "Sign in with Google and the contacts from Gmail get added to the phone." That would make sense. Oh well, for all the fabulous things this phone does, I'll learn to stop being so OCD about my contacts. :)

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to android :) the one is a beautiful device! Don't feel like you have to ditch your iPhone immediately, many users here have an affair between the two.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Guilty as charged. :) I'm kind of forced to keep my iPhone 5 for now because my work doesn't allow Android devices so I need it for email, etc. I still like the iPhone though. I won't badmouth either one because without iPhone our Androids might still look like a BlackBerry and without Android the iPhone might not have improved as much as it has. I know the UI hasn't changed much since 2007 but it has had many improvements thanks to competition from Android (and with elements almost directly lifted from Android). They're both great devices for anyone who wants to use them and I consider myself lucky to be in a torrid affair where I get to use them both. :)

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Try a free app called Skyvi, Android out-siri's Siri! There are quite a few voice recognition apps out there for Android and they are getting better all the time.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey fella, stick with it I say! It took me ages to 'wean myself off' iOS and the iPhone after my first Android phone. You need time to start looking at things in a way different from Apples. I totally agree with the post above; make full use of Google services. And remember your contacts will be pulled in from Google, Facebook and other places too. But the cool thing is you can link the contacts together, which is brilliant.

Take a look at Google Play music. For me it was the perfect solution for music. I still use iTines (I know, I know) as I use it for podcasts too. Google Play Music then synchronises all my music and podcasts to my phone so I have access to all my iTunes music and podcasts anywhere. You can choose to stream or to download to your phone. And it's free!
Regarding keyboards, I use Swype myself. I tried Swift but it just seemed to predict words for me, usually not the ones I wanted so I dropped it. I understand it is very popular though, but definitely try Swype as well as I absolutely love it.

I dont know about the saving pictures from emails thing, have you tried long pressing the picture? I find it hard to believe you can't save it.

You wait, you will eventually 'settle down' with Android and then you wil love it. I used an iPhone the other day and laughed at how weird and backward it felt compared to Jellybean. Although I do still think they are great phones.

Regards

R

ETA: Start using Google Now too - I used to get really annoyed at it,but it has really come along now and it understands almost everything I ask it now. You can send texts, tweets, set alarms, reminders, call people, navigate etc. And faceboook integration should be coming soon. Just talk to it normally, don't try and enunciate clearly - I started doing this and it is amazing.

opeycunningham

May 24, 2013
Visit site
You guys rock! Would love to answer each post individually, but there's so much information above, I'll just respond with a blanket post.

This is exactly the kind of information I needed and why I posted. I'm going to try some of the services and apps that you mentioned. I haven't found a really good user guide which starts "at the beginning," i.e. from the vantage point of knowing nothing.

The options are a little daunting. I totally do want to work on my home screens, but I haven't really downloaded all the apps I want yet so I'm kind of holding off until I understand the UI better. I guess in a way iOS is comfortable in that you get what you get. In order to do a lot of customization you have to jailbreak, which I've done in the past, but frankly it's just too much to have to keep up with with all the iOS updates.

The other reason for stressing over the contacts and the iPhone, is that my wife and I share a calendar(s) and contacts. We use one iCloud account to sync everything across our desktops iPhones and iPads, and it really is very convenient. I guess there is a good reason to keep the calendar shared with iCal, but I suppose there really isn't an absolute necessity to share contacts across platforms. Plus I'm kind of a stickler for accurate, complete and useful information the contacts, and I'll deny I ever said this, but sometimes "someone" puts in half-information like just the first name, no area code, and the wrong email domain names. That tends to bug me. (Just kidding, love you Honey!)

Thanks again for everyone's help! Please don't stop there keep the tips and encouragement coming!

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Good on you for trying out the other OS, and not being biased towards what you're comfortable with. I too recently switched back to Android from using an iPhone 4s, and after a few days I'm already more efficient with my droid then I was with my iPhone. In fact, when I pulled out my my old 4s for some data, the screen looked so very small. I could never go back.

cabiggs152

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Google now! One of the best things to date. Let's me know where I'm at how long until work syncs with gmail, Google calendar. That is the true Siri killer. And when hangouts gets full SMS its over for i message IMHO

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

59er9er

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Slightly disappointed that I can't save photos from email, but not the worst thing in the world.

Are you talking about an attached photo in an email you've received? If so, yes you can do that. I have saved photos from email viewable in the 'All downloads' album, in the photo gallery.

I came from the iPhone universe too and at first the transition was challenging but I've now decided that the HTC One is the best for me at this time. I use my phone for work quite a bit (calendar and mail) so the iPhone's small screen was less than ideal. The HTC One with its screen size and swiftkey has allowed me to fire off messages as fast as I can type them on my macbook pro.

Just sold my iPhone 4 a few days ago so no turning back for me now. ;-)

opeycunningham

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about an attached photo in an email you've received? If so, yes you can do that. I have saved photos from email viewable in the 'All downloads' album, in the photo gallery.

Hmmm....I do have some photos I've placed in the All Downloads gallery but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for saving photos from inside email. Long hold and the three vert dots dont have the option. I am a photog enthusiast (even a side biz that doesn't make any money) so I am constantly emailing myself shots to share, for instagram, making wallpapers//backgrounds and stuff. What's the best method to get shots on your phone from another phone or from desktop?

FYI: jairyhunter if anyone wants to connect in IG.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm....I do have some photos I've placed in the All Downloads gallery but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for saving photos from inside email. Long hold and the three vert dots dont have the option. I am a photog enthusiast (even a side biz that doesn't make any money) so I am constantly emailing myself shots to share, for instagram, making wallpapers//backgrounds and stuff. What's the best method to get shots on your phone from another phone or from desktop?

FYI: jairyhunter if anyone wants to connect in IG.

If you are sending the images to yourself then just send them as attachments and when you click on them they will download to your gallery. If you are talking about images embedded in emails then a long press on the image will give you the option of opening the image in a browser and from there you can save it as required.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey y'all. I am a brand new HTC One user after having been an iPhone addict for the past several years. Actually I have at least one of every iPhone that has come out. Still devoted to Apple and the Mac, however, I've been finding the type to be difficult to read lately, and I'm continually frustrated with the screen real estate on the iPhone 5. Also, the user interface is getting stale in my opinion. iPads are great but even the Mini is too big to be useful for a daily workflow and frankly I just don't find myself reaching for it; just too unwieldy to put in content.

I saw the HTC One out in the wild last week and I basically became obsessed with it. Did a lot of internet research, app research, et cetera.

I love this thing. There's really nothing I have on my iPhone in the Mac eco-verse that there doesn't seem to be for droid. The functions and all the option switches are a little daunting, and there are few things that I would really like to have, but I'm completely hooked on this bad boy. So far nothing has been a deal breaker. Slightly disappointed that I can't save photos from email, but not the worst thing in the world.

One thing I particularly like is the ability to start typing either a phone number or a name on the keypad and have the phone run through the permutations. There's nothing like that on iphone. Also there seems to be a learning function when typing text because I see messages that certain words have been "saved." although the voice transcription on iPhone with Siri is pretty good, it doesn't learn and that's really been frustrating to me.

It's weird because almost everything in iphone had become second nature to me and now learning something all over again is a little challenging. This HTC is a giant piece of hardware that I'm afraid I'm going to drop. I'm used to doing everything with one hand including texting, and I dictate most of my emails into Siri. Also I have accidentally squeezed the volume button too hard and jacked the sound way up to painful a level.

I used to be a blackberry addict way back when (loved that pearl--had 3, plus a bunch of others 8820, I think? and others). I even had an HTC running a Windows OS. Or should I say "not running..."

Anyway go easy, and any tips that you have, I'm all ears!

Welcome to Android and the forums!

I don't have too much to add as everyone has already touched on something that I would have suggested anyway.
You can always download a different launcher from Play. It is like a different User Interface, and many like Nova and ADW, are highly customizable. I like Nova, you can change the color theme, grid layout, scrolling speed and animation, and more. And all of that is on the free version.

You can also check this out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android and to AC! Here's my general advice to new Android users.

1. Use as many of Google's services as you feel comfortable using and have the desire to try out. Everything from Gmail to Play Music and Google Now to Google Plus offer a great experience on Android. Things like Google+'s Auto Backup (formerly Instant Upload) for photos is great. The new Hangouts app is great as well. I have many friends on iOS with the Hangouts app and they've all migrated to it from Facebook group communications. It's all-around a better communication platform now.
  2. Explore. Do whatever you want on your phone. Install launchers (Nova Launcher, Apex Launcher) from the market, it's a stock-Android-like homescreen replacement. Then you can evaluate whether you like HTC's homescreen or a more stock homescreen. Try out live wallpapers. Look around the Play Store for apps you hadn't considered before. Explore the settings. Change things. By far the best way to get used to the multitude of features and functions Android has to offer is just to explore your new device to no end.