I did something pretty dumb just now

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So I'm sitting here at my desk on my laptop. The room is quite dimly lit, house pretty quiet for a change. My HTC One is sitting next to me as I read forums and check my Google+. Then my notification sound alerts me I've received some sort of message. I pick up my phone, and am pressing the area where the power button should be, and nothing is happening. About a solid minute passes and I'm sort of annoyed, thinking the phone I received just a few days ago is now dead. I hold my phone up to the computer screen, as I'm far too lazy to lean over and turn on a real light, and notice I'm pressing on the USB port on the wrong side of the phone. They located it in the exact location of the power button if you're holding the device upside down.
Sometimes, I am a dummy.

coggster

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh we've all done silly things - admittedly most of us don't then create a forum thread about it to tell the world so that has to be a "twofer" ;)

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
thats why i like the shape of the Nexus S. the small ridge on the lower rear lets you know by touch which end is up...

secretLOVER

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I was just wondering this morning if anybody else did that! Gotta get use to feeling for the headphone jack first.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just did the exact same thing with my One last night! LOL!

Also, a few times during the first week of having the One, I would pick it up upside down only because I was used to manufacturer's logo being on top of the phone - not the bottom!

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I did this same exact thing the other day. I thought I had smashed the power button inside the phone. I do think the power button may have been better placed right in the middle at the top. Just so it is easily accessible from both hands.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've definitely done that with the Nexus 4 a few times, but I've also gotten very good about feeling the raised outline around the camera or the speaker grille on the back and quickly rotating the phone between two fingers and right into my palm. I can do it and also hit the power button without looking at the phone. Works quite well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the things I love about soft keys, it literally doesn't matter which way it's facing, always points the UI in the right direction and I don't have to search or worry. The only time it's a hassle is when I have to try to figure out where the front facing camera is.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That's one of the things I love about soft keys, it literally doesn't matter which way it's facing, always points the UI in the right direction and I don't have to search or worry. The only time it's a hassle is when I have to try to figure out where the front facing camera is.

I keep my rotation locked out of the 180? (upside-down) position because I just can't stand the thought of using my phone upside down. :p

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I keep my rotation locked out of the 180? (upside-down) position because I just can't stand the thought of using my phone upside down. :p

I had that same feeling until I forced myself to do it with the N7 (needed the headphone jack on top for something). My wife still hates it upside down and doesn't want her home screens to rotate sideways. Now the only thing that makes it feel weird on the phone is that the curved screen sticks out more at the bottom and it makes pulling down the notification shade feel a little strange.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer