Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Here are some numbers I found at laptopmag.com concerning screen brightness:
GS3 213 Lux
GS4 258 Lux
Smartphone Average 299 Lux
HTC one 463 Lux
Iphone5 525 Lux

Does this take into account reflectivity of the screen used? If not, kind of meaningless numbers in sunlight.

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Here is a quote from CNET (who actually liked the S4 display slightly better overall)

?The HTC One's much brighter display makes it the better choice if you spend most of your day outdoors. Under strong sunlight, you'll be glad to have those extra candelas at your disposal, especially when using the screen as the camera's viewfinder.?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is a quote from GSMArena's exhaustive comparison of the 2 excellent devices:

"Where the One runs into a problem is sunlight legibility - it's good, but not great. It's comparable to that of a Sony Xperia Z and noticeably better than that of the HTC Butterfly. However, the Galaxy S4 screen is just less reflective, giving it better sunlight legibility even if the maximum brightness is lower."

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Here is a quote from GSMArena's exhaustive comparison of the 2 excellent devices:

"Where the One runs into a problem is sunlight legibility - it's good, but not great. It's comparable to that of a Sony Xperia Z and noticeably better than that of the HTC Butterfly. However, the Galaxy S4 screen is just less reflective, giving it better sunlight legibility even if the maximum brightness is lower."

Here is a quote from CNET (who actually liked the S4 display slightly better overall)

?The HTC One's much brighter display makes it the better choice if you spend most of your day outdoors. Under strong sunlight, you'll be glad to have those extra candelas at your disposal, especially when using the screen as the camera's viewfinder.?

So their both good in sunlight, and both better than the other. Clear as mud. Seems like you can find an argument in favor or against for just about all aspects of either phone. So use them both and pick the one you like better. ;-)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So their both good in sunlight, and both better than the other. Clear as mud. Seems like you can find an argument in favor or against for just about all aspects of either phone. So use them both and pick the one you like better. ;-)

I vehemently disagree with this statement. I couldnt decide so I got BOTH! :cool:

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

I vehemently disagree with this statement. I couldnt decide so I got BOTH! :cool:

LOL. For some, that is an option.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is what is holding me back is I need to get a straight answer about the S4 In direct sunlight I am getting 2 opinions I tend to believe that it is not that great as past experience with Amlod tells me,and some really un bias users have said it is not good in direct sunlight.

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

Honestly I've never had an issue with amoleds. I started with the Samsung Epic 4G and liked the ability to change the sd card whenever I had to exchange it. As for the screen I liked how it would adjust to the light and if you wnat it bright all the time just set it to about 75 or 90%

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The Best Display: Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5 vs Xperia Z vs One vs Galaxy S3 vs Lumia 920 - iPhone.PandaApp.com

PhoneArena was lucky enough to get their hands on the Galaxy S IV early and this allowed them to compare it to the top contenders of the smartphone market today. And now let's have a good look which phone gets the best display:

Brightness and Visibility

Despite the improvements that Samsung continues to do to its so-called Super AMOLED screen technology, it's still lagging behind the quality LCD screens in the brightness department. We find the LCD displays of the iPhone 5, One, Xperia Z and Lumia 920 to be a bit brighter than the one of the GS4, and even more compared to the GS3, which is dimmer than its successor.

This lack of brightness also leads to worse visibility in outdoor conditions for the AMOLED screens. The Galaxy S4 isn't unusable, but it's perceptibly harder to read than the bright screens of the Apple iPhone 5 and HTC One, which lead the pack in this respect.

webbie2

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I like my s4. When I got my phone the rep said that the HTC one has been returned a bunch of times. I guess it all depends on what you prefer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I was dead set on trading my Note 2 for the s4 until I actually got my hands on one. I just wasn't that impressed with it. I ended up trading for the One and I love it! I love Zoe and the camera period. I'm sure I will get bored eventually like I normally do and end up trading for the s4 or something else, but right now I'm happy :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

UseA Launcher

May 24, 2013
Visit site
This is what is holding me back is I need to get a straight answer about the S4 In direct sunlight I am getting 2 opinions I tend to believe that it is not that great as past experience with Amlod tells me,and some really un bias users have said it is not good in direct sunlight.

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

I have both an iPhone and a S4. I can tell you that the iPhone looks gorgeous in direct sunlight. That said the S4 looks good and you can see things on full brightness and it will do the job, but its not as bright as others. If thats a huge dealbraker for you then think things through. Btw I love my S4 50 times better than the iPhone.

GS4 Love

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between those two phones as well. I'm on an LG optimus S right now so either will feel like an upgrade by leaps and bounds. I love the One's low-light performance (I'm THAT person who just HAS to instagram when she's at a concert or show) and I'm ok with installing apps to get a launcher. with sprint, I wait 2 years to upgrade my phone, and the ability to change out the battery on the S4 down the line is appealing. I'm not sure which would provide the best update support over the next two years; I'm assuming being able to root would play in the most with getting the latest android build in a year, year and a half, but that's based off my experience with sprint and the optimus S. I use app2sd a lot on my current phone, but its in-phone storage is dismal, so it may not be an issue with the One. I doubt either of these phones will fit easily fit in my pockets or running belt (I use runkeeper and charitymiles on outdoor runs), but since the One is a little smaller, it may squeeze in them a bit better? and as a commuter student, battery life is a biggie, but that seems pretty subjective.

what may be make it or break it for me, besides the is 3g performance--sprint STILL doesn't have 4g LTE in Denver. I'm hoping they'll get their act together in the time I'd be using either of these phones, but if that's not anytime soon, can anyone speak as to how they'd perform in 3G?

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Wow, that looks like a real outlier. They actually claim the s4 is better in bright light than the HTC? Kind of hard to take that seriously.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd personally pick the S4 just on the on/wake button placement. The longer screen and stupid decision to put it on the left vs. The right top corner kills me. Other than that mm.they're both good devices for totally different groups of people. Make sure you go hold one, play with the software and consider the features and if each has some that work better for you than others.

Jack

Posted via Android Central App

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between those two phones as well. I'm on an LG optimus S right now so either will feel like an upgrade by leaps and bounds. I love the One's low-light performance (I'm THAT person who just HAS to instagram when she's at a concert or show) and I'm ok with installing apps to get a launcher. with sprint, I wait 2 years to upgrade my phone, and the ability to change out the battery on the S4 down the line is appealing. I'm not sure which would provide the best update support over the next two years; I'm assuming being able to root would play in the most with getting the latest android build in a year, year and a half, but that's based off my experience with sprint and the optimus S. I use app2sd a lot on my current phone, but its in-phone storage is dismal, so it may not be an issue with the One. I doubt either of these phones will fit easily fit in my pockets or running belt (I use runkeeper and charitymiles on outdoor runs), but since the One is a little smaller, it may squeeze in them a bit better? and as a commuter student, battery life is a biggie, but that seems pretty subjective.

what may be make it or break it for me, besides the is 3g performance--sprint STILL doesn't have 4g LTE in Denver. I'm hoping they'll get their act together in the time I'd be using either of these phones, but if that's not anytime soon, can anyone speak as to how they'd perform in 3G?

The s4 is actually a bit smaller if that is the determining factor, although they are pretty close in size.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The s4 is actually a bit smaller if that is the determining factor, although they are pretty close in size.
definitely more worried about longevity and 3g performance than size, haha. the longer I can go without the phone getting annoying, the happier I'll be.

also, anyone know which has a more resilient screen? I tend to drop phones. a lot.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
definitely more worried about longevity and 3g performance than size, haha. the longer I can go without the phone getting annoying, the happier I'll be.

also, anyone know which has a more resilient screen? I tend to drop phones. a lot.

I am not sure there is a definitive answer for that - S4 supposed to have gorilla glass 3 vs 2 on HTC One, but there have been a lot of reports on the s4 screen cracking - or the digitizer under the screen.

S4 Screen cracked in front jeans pocket! Galaxy S4 is very weak! - xda-developers

I would hope that both would hold up if you treat them with care. Frequent drops are likely to result in a broken screen at some point.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure there is a definitive answer for that - S4 supposed to have gorilla glass 3 vs 2 on HTC One, but there have been a lot of reports on the s4 screen cracking - or the digitizer under the screen.

S4 Screen cracked in front jeans pocket! Galaxy S4 is very weak! - xda-developers

I dont believe Gorilla Glass is meant to protect against screen's cracking. It is designed to resist scratches. I could be wrong.

I would hope that both would hold up if you treat them with care. Frequent drops are likely to result in a broken screen at some point.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I guess that the idea was which screen is more resilient, so there could be more than one thing to consider - scratches or cracking. I guess GG3 would help with scratches but the fact that the GS4 is not as rigid may point to easier to crack when twisted.

In any case, if you plan on dropping the phonse frequently, I wouldn't place money on either of them lasting for the length of a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty