HELP HTC ONE or GALAXY S4?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I guess that the idea was which screen is more resilient, so there could be more than one thing to consider - scratches or cracking. I guess GG3 would help with scratches but the fact that the GS4 is not as rigid may point to easier to crack when twisted.

In any case, if you plan on dropping the phonse frequently, I wouldn't place money on either of them lasting for the length of a contract.

The screen on my daughter's One cracked right down the middle after only a 3 foot drop.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
half of the dropping from my current one is just from taking it out of my pocket and losing grip. since the One won't even fit in my pockets, it may be better? if I drop it into my purse, it's a rather soft landing.

my current phone doesn't have glass to the very edge of the screen, though, which probably helps with corners hitting the ground, along with a soft case (which I would definitely be getting for either phone). and I typically get phone insurance with sprint for most of the phone's life--I think that would be covered? I'll have to look at the terms and conditions again.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The screen on my daughter's One cracked right down the middle after only a 3 foot drop.
nuts. so basically, both are very, very fragile phones. I was looking at the note 2 a few months back, and remember reading on their forum that people had issues with it cracking easily, too. is it just par for the course with the big ol' touchscreens everyone's coming out with? iphone 5 is the most appealing as far as size alone goes, for me, but I doubt it's any more rugged. I can baby a phone, but I'm also a natural klutz, so I'm a bit fearful of that!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Bought my htc One at best buy 2 weeks ago. When I did the rep was pushing the s4 (even though I said I was only interested in The One). We were discussing the pro's and cons just like we do here then the topic of screen quality in sunlight came up

I took my new One and he brought his s4 (not sure if it was actually his or a demo) outside to compare. Hands down The One looked better to me. I can even see the screen fine when I'm wearing my torch glasses at work.

If this is a concern for anyone when buying your phone just ask. They were more than willing to walk outside to compare for me

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
nuts. so basically, both are very, very fragile phones. I was looking at the note 2 a few months back, and remember reading on their forum that people had issues with it cracking easily, too. is it just par for the course with the big ol' touchscreens everyone's coming out with? iphone 5 is the most appealing as far as size alone goes, for me, but I doubt it's any more rugged. I can baby a phone, but I'm also a natural klutz, so I'm a bit fearful of that!

If you are prone to dropping your phone or otherwise concerned about the screen cracking get a decent case. One thing to keep in mind is that the One despite it's truly awesome build materials was recently rated as one of the most unfixable phones currently available whereas the S4 ranks very high in fixibility.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Bought my htc One at best buy 2 weeks ago. When I did the rep was pushing the s4 (even though I said I was only interested in The One). We were discussing the pro's and cons just like we do here then the topic of screen quality in sunlight came up

I took my new One and he brought his s4 (not sure if it was actually his or a demo) outside to compare. Hands down The One looked better to me. I can even see the screen fine when I'm wearing my torch glasses at work.

If this is a concern for anyone when buying your phone just ask. They were more than willing to walk outside to compare for me

When I bought my S3 and was taking out my SD card, the BB guy told me not to lose it cause the S3 doesn't have an SD card slot and another BB employee concurred with him. I waited till the S3 was setup, I turned it off and pulled the back cover, slapped in my SD card, replaced back cover then turned it on as I was smiling and walked out. I made them look real freakin stupid.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If you are prone to dropping your phone or otherwise concerned about the screen cracking get a decent case. One thing to keep in mind is that the One despite it's truly awesome build materials was recently rated as one of the most unfixable phones currently available whereas the S4 ranks very high in fixibility.

Wanna know why?

It's P.L.A.S.T.I.C. !

My 3 and a half year olds dump truck bought at dollar general feels more elegant....and sturdy. I bet though, you break the One, you walk out with a new one if you have insurance. With the S4, they will try to fix it and gouge the crap out of the plastic like they did on my hTc Evo. Actually, they broke the plastic housing in 4 places....I got a brand new one in the box....

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wanna know why?

It's P.L.A.S.T.I.C. !

My 3 and a half year olds dump truck bought at dollar general feels more elegant....and sturdy. I bet though, you break the One, you walk out with a new one if you have insurance. With the S4, they will try to fix it and gouge the crap out of the plastic like they did on my hTc Evo. Actually, they broke the plastic housing in 4 places....I got a brand new one in the box....

Meh, I have cases on both my phones so it becomes a moot point as to which one is aluminum and which is poly carbonate. I do confess, however, to periodically taking my One out of it's case to fondle it's awesomeness. Much like taking the cover off a sports car and driving it on sunny weekend days.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Wanna know why?

It's P.L.A.S.T.I.C. !

But you have to admit there are a lot of build quality complaints about the HTC One right here in this forum. Parts falling off, gaps, dust under the lens. So I don't think the aluminum case is all it is cracked up (no pun intended) to be. :) I bought the S3 when it was new and I've had the S4 since it was introduced and I have never had a crack, scratch or negative build quality issue.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
But you have to admit there are a lot of build quality complaints about the HTC One right here in this forum. Parts falling off, gaps, dust under the lens. So I don't think the aluminum case is all it is cracked up (no pun intended) to be. :) I bought the S3 when it was new and I've had the S4 since it was introduced and I have never had a crack, scratch or negative build quality issue.

I dont think build materials is the same as build quality. I prefer the more sturdy aluminum than plastic even tho im using a plastic phone right now. My wife too my favorite phone...the one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

... And at the same time my htc One has no build flaws, nor did my EVO lte . Now my daughter's s3 on the other hand is flimsy with a cracked screen from an 8 to 12" fall. My aluminum evo took fall after fall without a ding or scratch and helped in my decision to get the aluminum htc One

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Meh, I have cases on both my phones so it becomes a moot point as to which one is aluminum and which is poly carbonate. I do confess, however, to periodically taking my One out of it's case to fondle it's awesomeness. Much like taking the cover off a sports car and driving it on sunny weekend days.

Ya know I do to! My wife says "your gonna drop it and then you'll be sorry"....I smile then politely nod then put it back in it's case.....

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

There's just as many complaints about the S4...about it's software and lag/stuttering. Besides my One is perfect in every aspect. Probably just as perfect as your S4.

Now, I will admit, the first One I got (silver) it had a screen lift on the top left. BUT :) the first S4 I had couldn't keep a signal and it would overheat and lock up. Not to mention the battery lasting maybe 6-8 hours tops. The second S4 is much better. Neither had quality issues with it's housing.

I'm happy with the one. I am. Your not going to change my mind. Period. End of story. You can waste all your time trying to convince me but your falling on....um...blind eyes....

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I see this all the time but I must be the only one my battery does not take a long time to charge at all

I've found that it really depends on the charger. My iPad chargers, even though it's 2.1 amps doesn't charge the One nearly as fast the HTC charger the phone came with. I have charger from a MiFi that chargers the One just as fast as the HTC charger as well. It's kind of hit and miss, but when all else fails, use the charger that came with the phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
If you like incredibly horrible button placement, then by all means go with the One. :)

Maybe it's because I came to the One from an iPhone 5 and have only owned a handful of Android devices, most recently the Note 2, but I don't find the button placement to be that horrible. I do hate it when I get the on-screen menu button so you do have a point there, but I feel the pros of the One outweigh the cons in the end.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
so if I get the One and ever have issues with it, I gotta make sure to get insurance and hope to get a replacement/refurb for a decent price. I was looking at getting the One from newegg (it's $129.99 with upgrade from them, OR $149 with upgrade from amazon, vs $199.99 from sprint. S4 is $199 from both), and I think I can get sprint's insurance on it even if I don't purchase from them, though I don't think they'd handle the repair or replacement like they would if I did purchase from them, so it may be worth the extra $70 down the line. or pay $199 for the S4 from sprint for a plastic phone that can at least be more easily fixed if anything were to happen.
Wanna know why?

It's P.L.A.S.T.I.C. !

I'm coming from a plastic phone, and I've learned to cover it up in screen protectors, skins (decal girl has nice ones, though it's probably not as necessary with these phones that are all screen, now, but my old phone body was sensitive to chipping in the front and corners), and cases, so in the end, the aluminum isn't going to be showing or felt much. and I do like being able to pull out my battery when my phone is frozen and won't turn off with the power button. I would hope that when they get geriatric neither phone has problems with freezing and ignoring power off buttons, but in two years, who knows?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EcuadorCynthia