Questions from a prospective buyer on HTC One physical characteristics and usability

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Here on a very different note regarding button placement on the One, and I have owned the the HTC EVO 3d and the Htc EVO 4gLTE, the One has superb button placement. With the buttons being flush and, in the case of the power button (sub flush), you just don't get all of those accidental presses and powering your phone off and on and turning volumes up and down and possibly even turning off ringers unintentionally.

Could not agree more. I'm loving the flush buttons

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Could not agree more. I'm loving the flush buttons

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Now that you mention it, even though the flush buttons did annoy me at first with requiring me to either directly look or develop memory of where they are, I have never once pulled my phone out of my pocket or other container to find it on due to accidental button press, and that is a nice benefit! (Especially when I think of how often I get pants-calls from some of my friends whose phones clearly aren't as good about that)

whitecollar

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I found the One to have HORRIBLE button layout and style. So incredibly user UN-friendly compared to the S4. No matter how much I tried to "like" the layout, it became more and more annoying (and cumbersome) to use. I much prefer the S4 layout. Fits like a glove and can easily be navigated with one hand, no need to constantly adjust/move the phone around to power it up, change volume etc. And you can just hold the volume down button to go into vibrate mode.

Worst of all was not having a physical "Home" button. The left/right touch buttons on the One annoyed me to no end. HORRIBLE decision by HTC to make it that way in my opinion.

I had the choice of getting the One or the S4 and based on the horrible buttons it offered, I had to pass and go S4. I don't regret it at all.

I can't remember ever reading so much talk about buttons on a phone.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Now that you mention it, even though the flush buttons did annoy me at first with requiring me to either directly look or develop memory of where they are, I have never once pulled my phone out of my pocket or other container to find it on due to accidental button press, and that is a nice benefit! (Especially when I think of how often I get pants-calls from some of my friends whose phones clearly aren't as good about that)

Same here. It took me a day or so to get use to the placement. Being flush i had to actually look at the phone to hit the button's. Now i prefer it totally and i like where the power button is. I guess i just dont understand how the button placement it such a nuisance to people

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Same here. It took me a day or so to get use to the placement. Being flush i had to actually look at the phone to hit the button's. Now i prefer it totally and i like where the power button is. I guess i just dont understand how the button placement it such a nuisance to people

I always used my iPhones in the left hand, which was ideal for that phone's button placement. With the One's buttons arranged in a mirror image, it's not as easy. I deal with it, though.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I always used my iPhones in the left hand, which was ideal for that phone's button placement. With the One's buttons arranged in a mirror image, it's not as easy. I deal with it, though.

Overall I'm right-handed, tho whenever I use my phone one-handed it's the left hand as well. But, for whatever reason the HTC One's button placement works well for me now that I'm used to it. Probably due to the exact details of *how* you hold the phone, what angle, what fingers where, etc..

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Noone can tell you that you will adapt to the HTC One power button layout just because they did. That's ridiculous. Everyone's experiences are different. You have to experiment with the device yourself.
Nothing beats hands-on time.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes it was a major struggle to me as well but after some time i managed to move my finger over 1.5" and found the power button.

In all seriousness though i like the button layout, here's why.

1. The flush buttons. Now that the buttons are flush i have nearly no accidental pushes and well this makes me happy. I really thought i would miss the physical camera button on my Evo lte. I really dont though. I actually like that its gone and out of the way.

2. I hold my phone right handed and the power button is now less of a stretch. With the raised buttons on the side of the phone (like my daughters s3) i always have random volume issues.

Does this mean i couldnt get used to the layout on the S3/4? If i said i couldnt i would ask someone to slap some sense into me ;)

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
"Subflush"? Why the concern about pushing buttons in your pocket? In the modern day world of lock screens, is pocket dialing really an issue for anyone? This hasn't happened to me on ANY smartphone with a lock screen, even with the (relatively) easy to press iphone buttons.

I tried the One out in the store the other day and hated the buttons, I'm sorry to say. The locations aren't bad, but feedback is ZERO. I got rid of my One X for similar reasons (among others), and it seems like it only got worse with the One - except the buttons do seem easier to press. Ugh, this may be enough to drive me away from this awesome phone. I really want to give it a shot, but every retailer seems to have restocking fees.

Flame away based on my ergos fixation, btw. Apparently the majority of people here either don't care about it or prefer it the way it is, so I guess I'm the exception.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
"Subflush"? Why the concern about pushing buttons in your pocket? In the modern day world of lock screens, is pocket dialing really an issue for anyone? This hasn't happened to me on ANY smartphone with a lock screen, even with the (relatively) easy to press iphone buttons.

I tried the One out in the store the other day and hated the buttons, I'm sorry to say. The locations aren't bad, but feedback is ZERO. I got rid of my One X for similar reasons (among others), and it seems like it only got worse with the One - except the buttons do seem easier to press. Ugh, this may be enough to drive me away from this awesome phone. I really want to give it a shot, but every retailer seems to have restocking fees.

Flame away based on my ergos fixation, btw. Apparently the majority of people here either don't care about it or prefer it the way it is, so I guess I'm the exception.

You're not alone. The buttons look nice and but poorly located and offer little feedback. Several reviews have noted as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non