Help: How to a alphabetical column to the right in phone app (contact list)?

Mihai Ghita

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Just switched from Iphone to One and its a fun phone to have. I've managed to customize it rather well except one thing that I dislike. In phone app (standard one) the people list has no alphabetical column to the right (like for instance on the Iphone or in custom dialer apps). I don't want to use a custom dialer and I'm thinking it may be a way to enable that column. Its much easier to use while driving and trying to call someone who's name starts with an S for example.
Do you guys know if its there a hidden option in some menu that I can enable or perhaps add a column to right with the letters from A to Z? The only thing that I want is to use the default HTC phone app (no interest in 3rd party apps for that).
Thanks!

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Just switched from Iphone to One and its a fun phone to have. I've managed to customize it rather well except one thing that I dislike. In phone app (standard one) the people list has no alphabetical column to the right (like for instance on the Iphone or in custom dialer apps). I don't want to use a custom dialer and I'm thinking it may be a way to enable that column. Its much easier to use while driving and trying to call someone who's name starts with an S for example.
Do you guys know if its there a hidden option in some menu that I can enable or perhaps add a column to right with the letters from A to Z? The only thing that I want is to use the default HTC phone app (no interest in 3rd party apps for that).
Thanks!

Though not quite the answer you are looking for, try using smart dialer functions. For instance, if the person you are trying to call is Heather dialing 432(h-e-a) will bring up all the Heather's in the contacts list(will also list anyone who has "hea" anywhere in their name but will prioritize if the name starts with those letters). You can do this for last names as well so instead of searching a list you can usually get the contact you are seeking just by pressing two to three keys on the number pad. You might find this much faster than scrolling through lists.

Ken CleanAir System

May 2, 2013
Visit site
While not exactly what you want, you can quickly skip through the list by letter. What you do is scroll a tiny bit, which will reveal a black scroll bar on the right hand side of the screen. You can grab that bar and pull it down which will quickly scroll through the list while showing which letter of the alphabet you are currently on in the center of the screen.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Though not quite the answer you are looking for, try using smart dialer functions. For instance, if the person you are trying to call is Heather dialing 432(h-e-a) will bring up all the Heather's in the contacts list(will also list anyone who has "hea" anywhere in their name but will prioritize if the name starts with those letters). You can do this for last names as well so instead of searching a list you can usually get the contact you are seeking just by pressing two to three keys on the number pad. You might find this much faster than scrolling through lists.

I'm not new to Android by any stretch. I've used the Kindle Fire (which I rooter and flashed to my hearts content :)) and the Nexus 7 since it came out.

The HTC One if my first Android phone. I was looking for a quick way to search contacts within the dialer app and I have to say that the way you described is great.

Since the first day I discovered that and I just type two or three number for any contact and dial it right away or view its contact details.

It's a tiny feature but a lot useful one.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
+1 on Smart Dialer. I have been using it ever since my HTC One X and it is a beauty. It might get a while to get used to, but it'll only get easier and quicker from there.

Mihai Ghita

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for input. I'll try to get used to the system the way it is since neither smart dialer nor two fingers swipes are comfortable for me while driving (although in other circumstances are excellent tips - thank you for them :) ). Its not legal in Romania to be on the phone while driving anyways :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creshosk