Should I trade in my HTC One for S4 or Moto X?

jrasero23

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So the HTC One is an awesome phone but I have some major quirks about it

I waited and got the HTC One on Verizon on the 22 so I have today and tomorrow to return (14 day policy)

My biggest complaint is battery life. It's not bad, I got from 7-7 with 20%-30% left but I hardly touch the phone. Everyone minute I use the phone it goes down 1%. I have BT off, WIFI on where I can, 4G on, screen auto, sync on, gps off, with most apps closed all the time

when the screen is off and not touching the phone after 10 minutes my battery drops 2-3%. That seems really fast

I have gone through two other replacements, the first had a defective battery, and the second a defective GPS

Should I return for a Moto X or S4 or is the One's battery life the best I am going to get?

My top things that I want in a phone are camera and battery. The One has a great camera but so far a bad battery?

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the one on att and I have used every phone att offers and imo it has the best battery life and I use my phone a lot on WiFi and not much on 4g or lte and all other radios turned off. At the end of the day I use it from 9am to 12am and I usually have 20% left. Could be a bad lot of phones.

Also it could be different on another carrier. Different radio frequencies use more or less battery. I have not used the motox but I have used the s4 and I got less battery life then the one with it. If u are worried about battery life get the s4 because of the removable and expandable battery.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't comment on the moto X, but I love my s4. If you're having battery issues still, just swap out batteries for a fully charged replacement.

GS4/iPhone5

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I wonder why you're losing that much battery (1% for about 1 minute usage), unless you're streaming HD video or something.

I always have Power Saver turned On (and auto-brightness), and last night I had my phone on Vibrate at night, and between 2am and 7am, it lost a total of around 2%. I slept with 100% showing on my phone, and woke up with 98% showing. Also, on days that I don't use the phone much - meaning a few calls (total maybe 30-45 mins) and occasional Whatsapp messaging - my phone lasts like 1 day 4 hours (28hours) according to the Power option in Settings. Obviously, your usage probably varies from mine, so I'm not expecting your phone to last as long.

I had a habit of looking at my phone (with my iPhone and this) every couple of minutes to check if I had any notifications. If you do the same, try reducing this, and try checking if the notification LED is on instead of turning on the screen. If you leave your phone idle for a little while, your phone automatically turns off WiFi and some other things (maybe reduces clock speed?), so you might be able to squeeze out a little more battery life out of it. Good luck!

jrasero23

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes do HBO Go but I experience 1% every minute even on Facebook. I have had 3 HTC One and all had iffy batteries.

IMO my usage is really minor during the day, I barely touch the phone

Verizon doesn't have power saver mode, for whatever reason

Either way the battery isn't horrendous like my old Galaxy Nexus but the rapid drain is a bit concerning

I am thinking of going to Verizon tonight and getting a S4, I was in love with the idea of an all metal phone but it is always in a case so the HTC One's biggest advantage really is mute

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
moto x had a terrible camera so the S4 or G2 thats due out soon-. that said I think youll be disappointed with the S4 after using the one-

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I've had the Verizon model since the release date and haven't had any battery drain issues. Mine rarely move if the screens off and I average a few minutes of screen time for each percent. You could be in a bad area for reception or just having very bad luck with One's. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
First off, kill the auto brightness and set at 30-40%. Auto brightness uses much more batt than setting it at a static setting. Second, check to see if your syncing EVERYTHING to Google by default. If you don't need a service, such as Google books, magazines, contacts, etc., kill it. More you have synced, the more batt it uses. If you use G+ extensively, leave it running for notifications, if not...sign out of it. Facebook? Sign out. All these things hurts battery life no matter what phone you use.

Good luck!

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
As always, it depends on you. Me? My S4 is on EBay right now. Using the DE One. Love it.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Well when you will get the purple tint bug in your One camera...S4 will be a great device!
I am waiting for a fix from HTC but I will not wait more than a month,today the Note 3 will be unveiled,perhaps even more tempting than S4

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
No root
Brightness: auto
Bluetooth: on
GPS: on
Nfc: on
Lte: on
WiFi: on even when not connected
Battery life has been improving for me as time goes on.
uploadfromtaptalk1378280828941.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Club Paradise

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Your battery doesn't sound right to me. I think the the one has a great battery.
If I change my phone before bed and unplug after 7-8 hours sleep I wake up and battery is still around 97-96% every morning.
It easily lasts through the day for me with moderate to heavy use and usually still have around 20% left at bedtime.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
You can see threads on the s4 forum about abysmal battery life. You see them here too. I have had no problems with my battery in fact with the hd screen and all the juice used to power smart phones these days I think the battery life is pretty amazing

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So the HTC One is an awesome phone but I have some major quirks about it

I waited and got the HTC One on Verizon on the 22 so I have today and tomorrow to return (14 day policy)

My biggest complaint is battery life. It's not bad, I got from 7-7 with 20%-30% left but I hardly touch the phone. Everyone minute I use the phone it goes down 1%. I have BT off, WIFI on where I can, 4G on, screen auto, sync on, gps off, with most apps closed all the time

when the screen is off and not touching the phone after 10 minutes my battery drops 2-3%. That seems really fast

I have gone through two other replacements, the first had a defective battery, and the second a defective GPS

Should I return for a Moto X or S4 or is the One's battery life the best I am going to get?

My top things that I want in a phone are camera and battery. The One has a great camera but so far a bad battery?

The One does not have a bad battery. But you don't like it so go get an S4, then you can buy extras and change the battery every 2 hours because you like it to be at 100%. Apparently.

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
That's odd battery behavior. Mine is fine so far, so I hope you just got a bad batch.

When the xbox 360 came our I got two bad units within a month. That Walmart had received a bad batch.

As far as a different phone- I am really big on aesthetics so I would definitely go with the moto x. Hands down.

...I mean, pretty much any of these phones will do just fine letting us access a calendar, do some texting, and check our Facebook :)

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

jrasero23

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I went to Verizon and they said since I exchanged the phone twice already they would have to do a mailed replacement

I didn't want to do that, plus the guy took out a brand new One and showed me what I could get and it had even more gaps than my current

I decided to not get the S4 since really it gets such similar battery to the One and the Moto X camera with auto focus was a huge let down. Yes the X took good photos but auto focus?

Still I feel the HTC One is the best Verizon phone even with the Note 3 on the Horizon since I don't like phablets

Yesterday I ran down the phone 7:00am to 12:00am with 4% left, so not bad, but I maybe had 2 hours screen time at most

I am going to download gsam for more accurate screen times and post later

But overall I feel like spurts huge battery drains when I don't touch the phone

one reason could be 4G and me working in a basement with 3 bars, but I don't want to turn off 4G like I did with my Galaxy Nexus

Hopefully the battery things levels out or I will sell since my 14 days is up today and I think I still want to try to make it work with my One

dad2paisley

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I charge my phone around 11pm and when I wake up 100%. Good to heavy use and when I go to bed at 11pm I still have around 24% left. Not to bad.

dad2paisley

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
The One does not have a bad battery. But you don't like it so go get an S4, then you can buy extras and change the battery every 2 hours because you like it to be at 100%. Apparently.

Yes, the battery will run down when you use the phone. It will not stay at 100% all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez