HTC One - Kitkat rollout for Dev and unlocked editions. Does anyone know if it fixes the camera

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know if this update to 4.4 and Sense 5.5 FINALLY fixes the camera bugs? I've been stuck with the blurry/purple hue for months and if this update doesn't fix it then I'm getting a replacement.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Kitkat rollout for Dev and unlocked editions starting today, does anyone know if it fixes the ca

No it doesn't. And to make matters worse, I now have it with with some sun lit photos (indoors with daylight)... Basically now anything black makes the camera jump to purple mode!

Posted via Android Central App

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Kitkat rollout for Dev and unlocked editions starting today, does anyone know if it fixes the ca

Just got it this morning and you're right, nothing to fix it.

This is getting really absurd. The camera on this phone is useless to me because of this, and I can't get a replacement of the phone because it's the dev edition and HTC doesn't do full phone replacements. They acknowledged this issue in September and they still haven't rolled out a fix? I've been very happy with how they've been timely with updates for the One, but the way they've handled this gives me pause on buying another phone from them in the future.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This is my first HTC phone, and the camera issue has me on the fence about my next phone been from them.

Posted via Android Central App

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

This is getting really absurd. The camera on this phone is useless to me because of this, and I can't get a replacement of the phone because it's the dev edition and HTC doesn't do full phone replacements
Send it in to be fixed. Others on this board have reported that this is a hardware issue. Send it to HTC and have them fix it. My DE has been to HTC twice to fix different issues. They always send the same device back, but with broken components swapped out.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to HTC yesterday about this issue. I am sending my wife's phone in to repair it. Any idea how long it took them to fix it and ship it back?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to HTC yesterday about this issue. I am sending my wife's phone in to repair it. Any idea how long it took them to fix it and ship it back?
Well, let me start by saying that I didn't have a great experience the second time I had to send my phone in for repair. I sent it 2nd day, morning delivery to ensure they got it quickly and it took over a week and a half for them to put it back in the mail. They offered no option for me to even pay them for faster return shipping. Between the two trips to HTC for repair (the second issue was caused while in for the first repair) I was without my device for over 3 weeks or so. It wasn't fun.

I think on the first trip in it was in and out in the same week, but I would plan for a week and a half to two weeks without the device.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, let me start by saying that I didn't have a great experience the second time I had to send my phone in for repair. I sent it 2nd day, morning delivery to ensure they got it quickly and it took over a week and a half for them to put it back in the mail. They offered no option for me to even pay them for faster return shipping. Between the two trips to HTC for repair (the second issue was caused while in for the first repair) I was without my device for over 3 weeks or so. It wasn't fun.

I think on the first trip in it was in and out in the same week, but I would plan for a week and a half to two weeks without the device.
I am hoping to borrow a phone from a friend so she has something to use in the meantime. Thanks for the info.

stray_647

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
You guys need to please followup and let us know the outcome after the repairs so the rest of can figure out if it's worthwhile to.send in our htc one for repairs.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You guys need to please followup and let us know the outcome after the repairs so the rest of can figure out if it's worthwhile to.send in our htc one for repairs.

If your device is broken and under warranty then it's always worth it to get it fixed.

tuco789

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

I can report that the purple problem with my images got fixed when I took the phone to the service. I contacted HTC service desk and they asked me first to do a full reset. When that didn't help they gave me the details of the local service center in Finland. I took my phone there, they sent it to Poland to the HTC European service center who changed the camera module. I got my phone back in seven days and I'm very happy I finally went through the process. Now I again have a phone that takes amazing low-light images, which was the major reason I chose this device in the first place. Of course it is a bit worrying that this problem occurred at the first place, so I'll report back if the purple haze reappears ;)

Below you can seen an image I took before the service, and after. The lighting conditions were pretty much exactly the same. I'm running Android 4.3 on an unlocked device (not Dev edition)

2013-12-04 10.08.36.jpg

2013-12-12 16.48.08-2.jpg

Last edited:

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Seeing that fixing the hardware solved the issue is good to hear! The problem for me is that I don't want to be without a phone for that long, but with the million different ways to call/text people these days I might be able to slough it out.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just an update that I got my wife's HTC One back from HTC and it was repaired and now the camera functions perfectly. I sent it out on Dec 18th and had it back Jan 2nd. Considering the holidays and that I shipped it ground 3 day shipping to Ontario from BC I got it back very quick. I would recommend getting it done while you have warranty.

Zachary Fischer

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here, but I have an HTC One 64GB Dev Edition that's been converted to Google Play Edition. I bought it used (and cheap!), so the case has some wear & tear, the screen has some scratches on it, the camera lens is cracked, and apparently the camera module is one with purple fever lol. I just sent the device in to GopherMods today, here's what I'm having done: For $200 (plus shipping) I'm having the phone re-cased in red, and the screen replaced (I also sent them an anti-glare,anti-fingerprint screen protector to be applied as soon as they replace the screen). For an additional $30, they are replacing the battery (although I wish there was a higher MaH battery they could put in), and since I just recently found out the camera issue is hardware related, I e-mailed them to ask if they'd do the camera module too. I will update this over the next couple of days to let you know the results (they swear its going to be gap-free, blah blah blah), and since I paid extra for overnight shipping both ways, it shouldn't be long!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38