Used HTC One with a bad battery - worth it?

Baconwich

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Currently bidding on a cheap used HTC One listed as having unusually short battery life. It's from a reputable seller (same people I got my keyboard defective Q10 from) so I expect they'd have done a fairly thorough inspection to discount user error.

Now, replacement battery on etradesupply is under $20 before shipping. I can completely strip down my Q10 and have it back running again in under half an hour, but ifixit has the One on the opposite end of the repairability scale, and I'll be honest: it looks pretty daunting.

So what I want to know: is the HTC One worth the hassle? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, but actually enjoy tearing apart and fixing phones(and this just looks like a final boss levelled version of what I've already done). If I can get it and the replacement parts on the cheap, is it worth it?

Baconwich

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I'll let you know. It's only at $2.50 now but there's still two days left for bidding. My Q10 was under $50 until the last few hours when it shot up to $150.

TechNashville

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll let you know. It's only at $2.50 now but there's still two days left for bidding. My Q10 was under $50 until the last few hours when it shot up to $150.

I just looked at a Teardown guide and the One has a 1 out of 10 for repairability. You'll need a few tools to replace it, including an i opener, metal spudger, Phillips #00 screwdriver, plastic opening tools, a small suction cup and tweezers. That said, it can be done.

Posted via Android Central App

Baconwich

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I just looked at a Teardown guide and the One has a 1 out of 10 for repairability. You'll need a few tools to replace it, including an i opener, metal spudger, Phillips #00 screwdriver, plastic opening tools, a small suction cup and tweezers. That said, it can be done.

Posted via Android Central App

The only things I'm missing are the suction cup and spudgers, which I've already got on order. I've read that a thin, flat putty knife could be helpful too. Kinda want to pop open an iPhone 5 some day too, and that could come in handy.

Truth be told, I'll probably do it if I can get the phone inexpensively enough.

Baconwich

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I don't have an iOpener, that is clever. I just have a heat gun...

I wonder if any old heated beanbag would work. You can make those super easily, and I've already been planning on doing some up for household use anyways.

TechNashville

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I don't have an iOpener, that is clever. I just have a heat gun...

I wonder if any old heated beanbag would work. You can make those super easily, and I've already been planning on doing some up for household use anyways.

I bet it probably would. I think the advantage to this thing is that it heats more uniformly than something like a heat gun. Right?

likeag8

Banned
Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

For that price, why not? I am not the best person to repair a phone, but for that price I would probably give it a shot.

Baconwich

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
For that price, why not? I am not the best person to repair a phone, but for that price I would probably give it a shot.

Final selling price: $233.50. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the thing might actually be repairable. Hope the buyer knows what they're getting into. =P

likeag8

Banned
Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Final selling price: $233.50. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the thing might actually be repairable. Hope the buyer knows what they're getting into. =P

at that price I'd almost settle for a lightly used one from ebay. I believe that they go for around $300 there.

Sent from my HTC One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch