Did You Replace Your Own Phone Battery?

PoorInRichfield

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
TL:DR;

Have you replaced your own battery in your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL? How did it go? Would you do it again or just pay the $80 to have someone else do it?

The AccuBattery app is showing that my Pixel 2's battery only has about 1/2 the capacity that it had when new and it's becoming obvious that this is likely true. When my phone is at around 35% capacity or less, it has started shutting down when I try to do more than one task at a time, like take a picture when I'm running an app like Strava (i.e., taking pictures when I'm out hiking and I'm logging my hike.) I'm assuming that's happening because the battery just can't meet the demand of the apps and thus the phone shuts off. 35% capacity of a battery that only has half it's capacity isn't much capacity! :-\

For $80, I can have UBreakIFix replace the battery and apparently they are authorized by Google and use Google-approved parts. Batteries Plus has a similar service for $10 less, but for some reason they don't list the Pixel 2 for battery replacement. Another option is buying a battery replacement kit from iFixit for about $40 that includes the battery, waterproofing seal, and all the tools needed to do the job. The iFixit web site also has a really nice video tutorial showing how to do the battery replacement. However, even though I'm not afraid to tinker with things, the battery replacement on a Pixel 2 looks like it could be far from easy.

Part of me wants to try the iFixit kit just to see if I can do it. If I am able to, then "I win"... new battery for only $40. However, if I crack the screen or damage some of the electronics in the process, I've suddenly increased the cost of the repair pretty radically and potentially made my phone worth nothing. Taking the phone to have the battery replaced for $80 seems a bit much considering the resale value of the phone is barely that and that's money that could go towards a new phone.

PoorInRichfield

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
You could trade it in towards towards a 4a and get a decent amount
I thought about now just isn't the right time financially. I'd also prefer a phone with a telephoto lens if I did spend the money and the Pixel 4 is way more expensive.

FWIW, as a Google Fi subscriber, the Pixel 4a 5G is $350 (same as the 4a which is weird). Trade-in values are much lower through Fi, but in the end, buying the phone through Google Fi is slightly less expensive.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

I never replaced my Pixel 2's battery. I would not trust myself to do that! If I were in that position, however, I'd pay the $80 for someone else (trustworthy) to do it - if I didn't have device protection.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought about now just isn't the right time financially. I'd also prefer a phone with a telephoto lens if I did spend the money and the Pixel 4 is way more expensive.

FWIW, as a Google Fi subscriber, the Pixel 4a 5G is $350 (same as the 4a which is weird). Trade-in values are much lower through Fi, but in the end, buying the phone through Google Fi is slightly less expensive.
I suggested that because you mentioned puting the money towards a new phone and the value of trade might be more than resale value.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've done few battery replacement on phones and the 2xl I have tried to replace the battery and front screen on the corner cracked , so it's not one of the easy ones out there just let you know.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I suggested that because you mentioned puting the money towards a new phone and the value of trade might be more than resale value.

I too would go that route if need be. Sometimes buying a new phone would be cheaper than replacing different parts on ones current device.

PoorInRichfield

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Google must've sold all the phones they wanted to sell as the Pixel 2 trade-in values are back down to nearly nothing and the Google Fi discounts on the 4a 5G are gone. :(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I spent years repairing cellphones, opening them without needing a video. I still can. I won't. For the $59 difference (a replacement battery is about $11), I'd have them do it. (When I was doing the repairs, figuring the difference in the value of a dollar, I made more than $59 in the time it would take me to replace the battery. Besides, if *I* screw up, it's my problem. If they screw up, it's their problem. [And I won't take someone else's phone as a replacement - who knows what condition the insides are in?])

I learned, a long time ago, to include the value of time in the calculation. (Besides, a "new" Pixel 2 battery is about 3 years old, and it's been sitting on a shelf self-discharging for 3 years. I'd sooner wipe the phone, sell it and buy something new [if there was anything out there that I was willing to spend money on - there isn't yet].)

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I'd be too scared to. It's so easy to screw a phone up now. I had an old droid htc incredible back in the day and tried to replace a busted screen and digitizer. Followed the instructions word for word and watched a video as well. Still screwed it up beyond repair.

Unless you really know what you are doing, these things are best left in the hands of repair professionals.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
TL:DR;

Have you replaced your own battery in your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL? How did it go? Would you do it again or just pay the $80 to have someone else do it?

The AccuBattery app is showing that my Pixel 2's battery only has about 1/2 the capacity that it had when new and it's becoming obvious that this is likely true. When my phone is at around 35% capacity or less, it has started shutting down when I try to do more than one task at a time, like take a picture when I'm running an app like Strava (i.e., taking pictures when I'm out hiking and I'm logging my hike.) I'm assuming that's happening because the battery just can't meet the demand of the apps and thus the phone shuts off. 35% capacity of a battery that only has half it's capacity isn't much capacity! :-\

For $80, I can have UBreakIFix replace the battery and apparently they are authorized by Google and use Google-approved parts. Batteries Plus has a similar service for $10 less, but for some reason they don't list the Pixel 2 for battery replacement. Another option is buying a battery replacement kit from iFixit for about $40 that includes the battery, waterproofing seal, and all the tools needed to do the job. The iFixit web site also has a really nice video tutorial showing how to do the battery replacement. However, even though I'm not afraid to tinker with things, the battery replacement on a Pixel 2 looks like it could be far from easy.

Part of me wants to try the iFixit kit just to see if I can do it. If I am able to, then "I win"... new battery for only $40. However, if I crack the screen or damage some of the electronics in the process, I've suddenly increased the cost of the repair pretty radically and potentially made my phone worth nothing. Taking the phone to have the battery replaced for $80 seems a bit much considering the resale value of the phone is barely that and that's money that could go towards a new phone.

If your phone is in otherwise good working order, where are you going to find another phone comparable to your pixel 2 xl, with a new battery, for $80? If it's about saving money that's hard to beat.

PoorInRichfield

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
If accubattery has any merit to it, it's showing a battery health of 84% on mine. Is that replacement level or is that still good for a 3 year old device?

84% is very good. I use AccuBattery as well and my phone is at 50% capacity :-( I made the mistake of being one of those people that left the phone on the charger over night and always charged to 100% capacity.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
84% is very good. I use AccuBattery as well and my phone is at 50% capacity :-( I made the mistake of being one of those people that left the phone on the charger over night and always charged to 100% capacity.

I try and keep my pixel 1 topped off.... I always charge to 100% and never run it too low if I can help it. I bought it brand new about 2 and a half years ago. But I turn it off at night after topping it off (I have a landline), and never charge it all night. It hasn't lost any noticeable battery life. But neither has my 2015 Moto X Pure Edition with the same treatment for about 2 and a half years as well.

Batteries have a limited number of full charge/discharge cycles they're designed for in their lifetime..... you can greatly stretch that out by minimizing how big the charge/discharge cycle is by keeping them topped off as much as possible.....in other words if you don't let them get to low before you charge them back up you can greatly extend their life. Then when you do need the extra battery life you can still have it even years down the road ;)

PoorInRichfield

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
After hemming and hawing over this for a while, I decided to buy a used Pixel 4 XL on Gazelle for $300 and am going to sell my Pixel 2 to hopefully recoup some of the expense of buying a phone that I don't really need. I just couldn't justify spending $80 for a replacement battery when that money could go towards a new phone. First app I'm going to install on my "new to me" phone will be AccuBattery so hopefully this phone's battery will last a little longer! No more plugging in my phone all night long... although I heard there's a new Pixel charging feature that will control the battery charge rate based on one's alarm wake-up time? Not sure if this is a Pixel 4 or 5 feature.

It's a shame though... my Pixel 2 is in excellent condition and has served me well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia