is there a solution for the Wi-Fi / 3G worthless "fighting"??

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
i don't know how many of you suffer from this bad algorithm of when to switch between WiFi and 3G,
there is no easy way of letting the system decide when to switch from WiFi when it's a too weak signal.
what happens to me daily at work, where the WiFi is not stable all around, is that the connection is too low, but the phone stays on it for too long, until deciding to go for 3G.
until it switches to 3G, he sometimes get enough signal from the WiFi, so it switches back...
well, you know how it goes.. needless to say all this time the internet does not really move,
and basically all this time wasted for nothing.
IF i had a way of at least deciding WHEN to switch to 3G, things would probably go smoother.
(for example, when there's only 1 "line" of connection).

anybody else bothered by this and found some way of making it work better?
thanks.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I think that is stock for the M8 4.4 not the M7.

To the OP. I don't think there is a solution for the issue you are having exactly, however you can do one of these and perhaps it will make the issue more bearable. On your quick select settings screen, two finger pull down on the notification bar or grid in the upper righthand corner with the silhouette, you can add WiFi there as a quick switch item. This means you will have to be aware of your connection status and make changes as needed. Or you can put a similar item on your homepage as a widget and do the same thing. Again this means you will have to be aware of your connection status. You could try Google Play with terms like WiFi strength and switch. See what if any thing pops up and if it sounds like it may be what you're looking for.

GL

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
thanks.
amazing how many options android has but this simplest task is only available now, and only on selected devices?
tried to search Play Store, but there's no one app that does exactly that, avoiding poor connections.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Try the app Better WiFi on/off. There is a setting for "connect to strongest AP". There are also other customizations that you might want.

Posted via Android Central App

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use WiFi Priority, it works pretty well. It allows you to set precise levels to control connections. You can set it to not connect if you come into range of an AP but the signal is too weak, and you can set it to automatically disconnect from an AP should the signal drop too low.

My issue at work is that we have WiFi all over the building, but there are different APs. As I would move from one area to another, my tablet would hang on to the previous AP even though the signal was so low there was no data throughput and I was in range of a much closer signal.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.hrCreation.wifiprioritylite&token=1940Led4

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
well, i have to get the full version to enable those options,
but i gotta make sure you are perfectly happy with this app,
and you really feel it make the Wifi works "smarter" and more efficient...
does it? ;)

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
well, i have to get the full version to enable those options,
but i gotta make sure you are perfectly happy with this app,
and you really feel it make the Wifi works "smarter" and more efficient...
does it? ;)

Yes, definitely. It was a bit tricky to get the settings right for a WiFI only device, but once I found them it's very good. Yeah, it's kind of devious though that the only feature I downloaded the app for in the first place you have to pay for. :)

Should be easier for you if you just want to tell it when to connect/disconnect WiFi and go to cell data. Just find the minimum signal level you want to stay connected to WiFi, then add like 15% to value to set the minimum signal level for connecting.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
well i had to purchase WiFi Priority,
and tweaked some of the options regarding what WiFi level is too weak, and then to go to mobile data.

it's works better, no doubt.
but it also crashes once in a while :(
and it still takes some time when waking up the phone-
then it's on Wifi-
then it disconnects form the wifi-
finally then it goes mobile.
it has to check it every time.

oh, well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member