HTC One M7 bricked after failed encryption - factory reset failing. How can I fix this?

pexter

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
HTC One M7 bricked after failed encryption - factory reset failing

UPDATE: SOLVED
As you guys are incredibly slow :D (jk, love ya all <3), I googled and learned how to work with adb & fastboot on my Mac. So I rooted the phone and installed Cyanogenmod 12. The phone is operational again.

Thanks anyway!

---------8<-------------

A tremendous noob here. And most likely a certifiable *****, but my mom hasn't had me tested yet.

Never rooted a phone in my life or even accessed a recovery console before. Was playing with options to encrypt my Stock M7 with Lollipop (carrier OTA version), fully aware of the risk of a factory reset should it fail. Was okay with it. Except the factory reset doesn't work. So I'm no longer okay with it, as the phone is bricked.

Boots into recovery console that reports error in mounting /data:

E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg (Code -1)
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg_yes (Code -1)
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg_no (Code -1)
E:missing bitmap icon_ruu (Code -1)
Backup necessary files in data partition
E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument).. try emmc mount
Formatting /cache...
Data wipe failed.

Running data wipe manually from the menu (option "wipe data/factory reset") seems to be successful:

-- Wiping data...
Backup necessary files in data partition
E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument).. try emmc mount
Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.

Wiping cache partition manually (option "wipe cache partition") is also successful:

-- Wiping cache...
Formatting /cache...
Cache wipe complete.

Checking recovery logs hints at non-existence of

/devlog/scid.bin
/tmp/last_install

Reeboot to bootloader loads this phone info:

*** LOCKED ***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.61.0000
RADIO-4T.35.3218.16
OpenDSP-v35.120.274.0718
OS-7.19.401.2
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Feb 12 2015, 15:22:10.1331

The bootloader menus offer no clues as to how to proceed, I can initiate factory reset from there, but it results at the same boot procedure as outlined above.

So I'm stuck. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Xyand

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Hey Op my phone ran into the same problem, the exact exact some problem with all the same reading. However I'm not really sure how you manage to solve the problem with adb and fastboot? perhaps you can be kind enough to make a little step by step tutorial, please? this problem has been annoying me for the past few days and Im at the verge of mental breakdown with all those answers on the internet. Many thanks.

Muhammad Ali Shafiq

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

I also had the same problem my HTC One M7 Restarted Automatically and then it was stuck at the boot logo screen. asking to decrypt my mobile I entered the password it says decrypt unsuccessful. Asking for a factory reset. when I do that it gets into the same loop as mentioned above.im stuck at this point tried all the options in the bootloader but failed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks & Regards,

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Any solution? My phone bricked too, flashed stock recovery, erased cache, booted to recovery, wiped data/factory reset, flashed twrp recovery but still cant see the storage and unable to mount, sideload, adb push.....NONE

Tillmann Krauss

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

same problem here.
Even "fastboot oem rebootRUU" does not jump correctly into RUU-flash mode anymore to flash the right, clean RUU.
Stock recoveries suck... :(

MzLizz23

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea how to root a phone is there an easy way for people who are a little slow at these things to fix the problem or at least decrypt it so I can get into it it gets stuck at enter password to decrypt then tells me the password is right. It. Still won't let me into the phone except for boot loop it has all the same errors but won't reset or anything just right back to enter password to decrypt