Flashing ROM issue?

jml9153

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
So just to be sure I understand this and don't brick my phone.. I download and extract that file and put it in the backup folder for twrp and then restore it like any other backup as opposed to installing a ROM .zip like I would with a new ROM, and despite being on GPE ROM, it should work?

Posted via the Android Central App

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So just to be sure I understand this and don't brick my phone.. I download and extract that file and put it in the backup folder for twrp and then restore it like any other backup as opposed to installing a ROM .zip like I would with a new ROM, and despite being on GPE ROM, it should work?

No. Extract and Flash the firmware in RUU mode first. Then boot into recovery and flash the entire nand backup.

Posted via Android Central App

jml9153

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I've never used ruu mode before. How do I get my phone into ruu mode? And do I do both extract and flash software in ruu mode?

I'm just confused on which file is the backup and which one I'm flashing? Maybe because I've never used ruu mode?

I really appreciate your patience with me. I didn't imagine running into this many problems and obstacles

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
That's fine.
1. Extract the firmware.zip from the back up with 7-zip on your pc.
2.While in fastboot, type command on your pc /fastboot oem rebootRUU(your phone will then reboot to a black screen with HTC silver letters)And make sure the firmware is in the same folder as your fastboot and adb applications.
3.While in RUU mode type/ fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
4. Run that same exact command again/fastboot flash zip firmware.zip Always flash firmware zips twice!
5.Now type/ fastboot reboot-bootloader
6.Now you just get into twrp and restore from the nand backup you put in the twrp folder.

jml9153

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for late response, busy weekend. I'm following the steps you posted above. Im trying to flash the firmware I'm ruu mode. When im In command prompt, after I type the fastboot flash firmware.zip command, it comes back "target reported max download size of 1830711296 bytes" then shows the little blinking line under it as if it's waiting for me to type and appears to stay that way. Is this good or bad?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It's not bad but it means it is not sending the file. You shouldn't have to type anything. It should say a bunch of things like flashing radio 30 times and all kinds of other stuff then put you back at a command prompt. Are you connected to usb 2.0?

jml9153

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
It's not bad but it means it is not sending the file. You shouldn't have to type anything. It should say a bunch of things like flashing radio 30 times and all kinds of other stuff then put you back at a command prompt. Are you connected to usb 2.0?

How do I tell if I'm connected to usb 2.0? And is USB 2.0 what I want to be using or not?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So usb 2.0 ports are black and usb 3.0 ports are blue. You want to be using the black 2.0 ports. If you already are try a different usb port. If that doesn't work try rebooting and trying again. Make sure that your tools and files are in the same folder.

jml9153

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
It has to be 2.0, its an old computer and I don't see any blue around the port so I'm guessing its 2.0. And what I noticed a long time ago that confuses me is even if I put a file in the same folder as my adb and fastboot files are, command prompt can't locate the file if I try to push/flash it. But if I put it on C: and type something like flash c:/file.zip it works.

Should I just try different ports? I've been plugging my phone into the exact same one forever.

jml9153

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to after I get out of work. But I'll post back here if that works or not. Again I'm on Verizon if that makes a difference.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And what I noticed a long time ago that confuses me is even if I put a file in the same folder as my adb and fastboot files are, command prompt can't locate the file if I try to push/flash it. But if I put it on C: and type something like flash c:/file.zip it works.
Sounds as if you're in the command prompt (cmd), but not in the adb directory, but running adb because it's in the computer's environment string. adb won't find files in its directory unless you point it to them (flash c:/adb/file.zip) or the adb directory is the current directory (you have a c:/adb> prompt. By giving it an unambiguous filename (c:/file.zip) you eliminate that problem. (file.zip is "ambiguous", because it could be on any drive, in any directory. By default it's in the current directory on the current drive - what you see in the prompt. If it's not, programs can't find it. If you use the cd command to go to the adb directory, and put the files for upload in that directory, just pushing the ambiguous filename will work.)

jml9153

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Sounds as if you're in the command prompt (cmd), but not in the adb directory, but running adb because it's in the computer's environment string. adb won't find files in its directory unless you point it to them (flash c:/adb/file.zip) or the adb directory is the current directory (you have a c:/adb> prompt. By giving it an unambiguous filename (c:/file.zip) you eliminate that problem. (file.zip is "ambiguous", because it could be on any drive, in any directory. By default it's in the current directory on the current drive - what you see in the prompt. If it's not, programs can't find it. If you use the cd command to go to the adb directory, and put the files for upload in that directory, just pushing the ambiguous filename will work.)

So in simpler terms, the cd command will basically tell command prompt where to look for that file, eliminating the need to specify its exact location?