HTC One (M8): Metal vs plastic - difference in quality, or personal preference?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Metal vs plastic - difference in quality, or personal preference?

http://feedly.com/k/1dT78mB gonna be real funny when these guys to bankrupt in the near future. Lot of big talk from these guys, samsung acts like they don't even exist while they keep barking at them,lol

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Cult of Android - HTC Official Calls The Samsung Galaxy S5 "A Cheap Piece Of Plastic" | Cult of Android gonna be real funny when these guys to bankrupt in the near future. Lot of big talk from these guys, samsung acts like they don't even exist while they keep barking at them,lol

If I remember correctly, the strategy of bashing other people's products is what made the S3 such a huge hit.
You know what, I'm surprised Samsung didn't try and patent that strategy and isn't trying to sue HTC for using it this go around.
But guess what, even if they do go bankrupt that doesn't mean they aren't right.
I'll come out and say it explicitly, the S line phones look like ugly, cheap, disgusting plastic to me. That AMOLED with those saturated colors with that crap plastic around it make it look hideous to me. At least the S4 Active looked fine, but good god do I freaking hate plastic casings.

avidberry

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Err, nope... S3 is successful since, at that time, it was one of the most innovative phones with lots of features (some of which didn't work properly... LoL).

For me, plastic vs metal is a matter of preference and actually pretty useless once we use cases. I'm rocking a G2 now to replace my Nexus 4. I use cases for both devices, thus whether it's plastic or glass, doesn't matter anything at all.

Let's be real, what's the difference between metal, plastic or glass your phone is made of once you put it into an Otterbox... LoL.

If I remember correctly, the strategy of bashing other people's products is what made the S3 such a huge hit.
You know what, I'm surprised Samsung didn't try and patent that strategy and isn't trying to sue HTC for using it this go around.
But guess what, even if they do go bankrupt that doesn't mean they aren't right.
I'll come out and say it explicitly, the S line phones look like ugly, cheap, disgusting plastic to me. That AMOLED with those saturated colors with that crap plastic around it make it look hideous to me. At least the S4 Active looked fine, but good god do I freaking hate plastic casings.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

http://feedly.com/k/1dT78mB gonna be real funny when these guys to bankrupt in the near future. Lot of big talk from these guys, samsung acts like they don't even exist while they keep barking at them,lol

Samsung acts like they don't exist, but launched a smear campaign against HTC. How does that compute? If HTC was of no concern, then why did Samsung waste time devising a plan, assigning resources, executing the plan, and monitoring the results?

Please explain how the above actions equate to acting like a competitor doesn't exist.

Posted via Android Central App

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Jason Mackenzie posted this on his twitter account

If you want to buy a product built out of cheap plastic, there's a solution for you. But we're going after a different customer, someone who wants the best.
Jason Mackenzie
HTC President of North America

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Err, nope... S3 is successful since, at that time, it was one of the most innovative phones with lots of features (some of which didn't work properly... LoL).

For me, plastic vs metal is a matter of preference and actually pretty useless once we use cases. I'm rocking a G2 now to replace my Nexus 4. I use cases for both devices, thus whether it's plastic or glass, doesn't matter anything at all.

Let's be real, what's the difference between metal, plastic or glass your phone is made of once you put it into an Otterbox... LoL.

What's the difference between metal or plastic during the times when a person's phone isn't in a case?

I've said this before about the case argument. A case should eliminate nearly every purchase decision that involves a phones appearance. The design, build material, and color are all concealed by a case. Therefore, it is futile for the consumer and manufacturer to take any aspect of a phone's exterior into consideration during purchase or product creation. That is the power of the case.

avidberry

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Now, without a case, a phone made of metal or even glass is indeed better looking than a plastic one. I'm not arguing that statement. The problem is, I see more iPhone's and One's users are using cases than Galaxy's ones, thus rendering the statement of "metal looks and feels better" pretty invalid since they will see and feel the case instead of the phones.

I know the second part of your reply was meant to be sarcastic, sadly it's true for many people. Why else would millions of people were buying Galaxy's products year after year?

What's the difference between metal or plastic during the times when a person's phone isn't in a case?

I've said this before about the case argument. A case should eliminate nearly every purchase decision that involves a phones appearance. The design, build material, and color are all concealed by a case. Therefore, it is futile for the consumer and manufacturer to take any aspect of a phone's exterior into consideration during purchase or product creation. That is the power of the case.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I don't buy plastic cases, and a lot of people go naked with their phones. Of course it might matter less in a case, but you can't say it makes no difference. The face is still exposed and the materials determine the shape of the phone too.

One major factor was the advertising power, discrediting it because of some features is ignorant. If that were truly the case, Oppo would probably be just as big as Samsung in the West.

. A case should eliminate nearly every purchase decision that involves a phones appearance.
This is just wrong. The appearance of a phone includes its shape, size, color, material. No matter how you wrap your plastic phone, I can still see the face and it is ugly.
Also, I don't buy plastic cases. I've only ever bought silicon, carbon fiber, or metal. Aesthetics are a huge thing in our world, I want aesthetically pleasing devices.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Jason Mackenzie posted this on his twitter account

If you want to buy a product built out of cheap plastic, there's a solution for you. But we're going after a different customer, someone who wants the best.
Jason Mackenzie
HTC President of North America

So how much more expensive is aluminum? I mean aluminum costs a buck a pound. There may be 2 oz of aluminum, still less than a quarter for the cost of aluminum. Granted they could be buying higher quality than standard aluminum, but the cost is not going to skyrocket. Now, aluminum does cost more to manufacture, no argument there. But to say that plastic is cheap... How much cheaper are the raw material costs?

If he is referring to the quality of the plastic used, Samsung uses good quality plastic. I have products with cheap plastic... They are way lower quality than the plastic in my of my note 2 and Note 3, and even my s3..

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Either aluminium or quality plastics are fine. I prefer how LG 's plastic designs to Samsung's. The G Pro and G2 look and feel high quality to me.

via one of the t@blets

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Samsung acts like they don't exist, but launched a smear campaign against HTC. How does that compute? If HTC was of no concern, then why did Samsung waste time devising a plan, assigning resources, executing the plan, and monitoring the results?

Please explain how the above actions equate to acting like a competitor doesn't exist.

They don't respond to any of their negative tweets or messages these days, at least from what I've seen. As for the rest of your post, I'm not sure what you are referring to

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

It's not made from the same plastic that feature phones from 2004 were made in.

Whatever kind of plastic they used for my old Nokia phone from 1999, I wish they would use again. I could drop that phone over and over again and there would be no scratches or traces of a drop whatsoever.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

They don't respond to any of their negative tweets or messages these days, at least from what I've seen. As for the rest of your post, I'm not sure what you are referring to

They responded last year when HTC won an award and mocked Samsung. Samsung responded back that while HTC won the best phone award, they (Samsung) were too busy enjoying the other awards they'd won also. HTC then jabbed back at Samsung, saying that the money they spent paying students to smear HTC's products in online reviews, had paid off.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

They responded last year when HTC won an award and mocked Samsung. Samsung responded back that while HTC won the best phone award, they (Samsung) were too busy enjoying the other awards they'd won also. HTC then jabbed back at Samsung, saying that the money they spent paying students to smear HTC's products in online reviews, had paid off.

Really, lol? Got a link by any chance, I didn't see this

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
There's been a lot of talk from HTC One fanboys over the past year how the One is a 'more quality' device because it's made of metal, and not the 'cheap plastic', like on Samsung devices. However, let's examine a few things:

- The metal is apparently more scratch-prone, as the guy who reviewed the phone for Engadget said his had already gotten a couple of small scratches. He also said this year's One was 'slippery as a bar of soap' and harder to hold than last year's model, a sentiment that was echoed by Phil:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...u-have-questions-fire-away-4.html#post3532484

- Most people that get a metal phone end up putting a case on it, so I don't really see what difference it makes?

I get that some people prefer the look and feel of metal, and that's fine, but I personally prefer plastic phones because they're generally lighter, and I really don't like heavy-*** phones. I guess my point is that I'm tired of people insisting that a phone with a metal shell is somehow of a higher quality than a phone with a plastic one. To me, it's just a personal preference, like LCD screens vs OLED, or big phones vs smaller ones. As long as it's durable and comfortable in the hand, I really don't care much about what the phone looks like.

My personal feeling on this year's HTC One is that I'm thrilled it has a microSD card slot and a proper Do Not Disturb mode (a feature I consider to be essential on any phone), but I'd rather have a plastic phone with another gb of RAM and a battery with more juice and/or replaceable.

I do have a case on mine, but that is with the complete expectation that I'm going to upgrade and I want to be able to present a phone in mint condition! I also truly believe that these phones will start commanding great resell prices because of the metal and their styling...somewhat like Apple iPhones. You can literally make money in the business of buying and selling iPhones and crazy as it may sound, these HTC ones are built with similar if not better quality. And, from an android perspective they are unique devices which may, at some point, garnish the same type of demand as iPhones!

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site
We can debate metal vs plastic...it's personal preference. I am a android person and use a S4 but hands down the most gorgeous phone I've had is the iPhone 4 (glass)...i still use it as a second phone ...after 3 years its little slow but still the most beautiful phone ever made...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
We can debate metal vs plastic...it's personal preference. I am a android person and use a S4 but hands down the most gorgeous phone I've had is the iPhone 4 (glass)...i still use it as a second phone ...after 3 years its little slow but still the most beautiful phone ever made...

I agree with you but can readily understand why many may not. The thing I love about the 4/4s now is that you can get some really sliq replacement front and back covers. I saw this electric blue mirrored set and it looked so triq that it made me want it. ...but alas with 2x 5s' I have no excuse. 😥

via one of the t@blets

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I also truly believe that these phones will start commanding great resell prices because of the metal and their styling...somewhat like Apple iPhones. You can literally make money in the business of buying and selling iPhones and crazy as it may sound, these HTC ones are built with similar if not better quality. And, from an android perspective they are unique devices which may, at some point, garnish the same type of demand as iPhones!

I think the sealed battery will diminish the value of used phone no matter how good it looks, feels outside. Battery can start wearing out after two years at any time. I personally wouldn't get any used phone with non-removable battery, iPhones included.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty