Reception Quality on Verizon?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Galaxy S4 owner and am in the market to buy a new phone for one reason: reception problems. At work, I get no signal at my desk. My coworkers, who use Motorola Verizon phones, DO get reception at my desk. I love everything about my S4 except for its poor signal strength. Motorola has great radios but slow processors and 1GB RAM.

I'm a spec freak. I use my phone for everything, and the benefit of a speedy processor allows me flawless multitasking. The HTC M8 has impressive specs and has even beaten the S5 in some reviews. But how does the reception of the M8 stack up against the competition? Is it just as good as Motorola's, or possibly better? Can any M8 owners verify their signal strength and compare it against the S4 or a Motorola phone? Your input is appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I would have to say it's not hard ot beat Samsung when it comes to radios, although the S5 is supposed to be better.

I find the M8 on par with the Motorola X and Droid Maxx I had. In fact, in the grocery store I go to I always check sports scores while standing in line. It normally takes forever, and sometimes just hangs while jumping from 3G to 4G. With the M8 I'm getting 3 bars of 4G in the same spot. I know bars mean nothing, but it stays in 4G and I get pretty good speed in a spot where I normally get nothing with other phones.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem at my desk. My Razr Maxx HD and G2 both made calls at my desk, but wouldn't surf. Prior to the M8 being released, I bought a second hand HTC One Max and it wouldn't do anything at my desk. I couldn't surf, or talk on it.

The M8 has been mixed. I got a voicemail the other day even though it never rang while at my desk, but anytime I've pick it up to make calls, it has worked. So it's hit or miss with me. I'd say it's not as good as the Moto radio, but it's not as bad as some other radios.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I love HTC radios never any issues cannot say the same for Samsung and LG I was a little disappointed with the GPS on the G2

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I find its better than my Moto X while on the move. I rarely drop calls. Standing still it seems to have equal footing with the Moto X. For some reason even though they are pretty much the same phone inside, my wife's Droid Maxx always seemed to do better than the X in general but I haven't been home since I've gotten my M8 to do a comparison yet. It's definitely better than any Samsung I've ever owned. They constantly dropped while on the move.

Armadillo, the other white meat.

Dr_Collie

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm a Galaxy S4 owner and am in the market to buy a new phone for one reason: reception problems. At work, I get no signal at my desk. My coworkers, who use Motorola Verizon phones, DO get reception at my desk. I love everything about my S4 except for its poor signal strength. Motorola has great radios but slow processors and 1GB RAM.

I'm a spec freak. I use my phone for everything, and the benefit of a speedy processor allows me flawless multitasking. The HTC M8 has impressive specs and has even beaten the S5 in some reviews. But how does the reception of the M8 stack up against the competition? Is it just as good as Motorola's, or possibly better? Can any M8 owners verify their signal strength and compare it against the S4 or a Motorola phone? Your input is appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

I have an M8 and use it primarily at work for web and email. I work in an area where there is a lot of cell traffic (lots of nearby offices). My M8 frequently has problems dealing with the signal from Verizon and just hangs up when trying to load web pages. MY S4 (prior phone) does not do that. It sometimes pauses for a couple of seconds while loading but it always loads the pages. My work IPhone5 always loads the pages as well. These are same place comparisons. The same thing happens at home. Thus, my experience says you will not get an improvement with the M8,

The only explanation I can come up with is that the M8 does not handle lesser quality signals as well as the S4. I had the same problem previously when I had a HTC Thunderbolt, so it appears to be an HTC problem.

I suggest you either borrow a M8 to try using it in the places you plan on using your phone or put any new phone through a heavy use schedule during the return period.

Mine is so bad I expect to return the M8 and get a Samsung (either the S5 or another S4).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty