New HTC One (M8) or Galaxy S5 ?

jeffdanger

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Went to the Verizon store today with intentions to purchase an S5 but walked out with an M8. Longing for the S5 camera but I do have to look at the phone all day long and the M8 is sweet! Has all I want with exception of a great camera but I decided I could live with that. Anyone else do the same?

Last edited by a moderator:

angieberry10

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: New HTC M8 or S5 ?

I think you're going be more pleased with the camera than you realize

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

^^What he said. I've been able to get some really good shots out of this camera, constantly surprises me

Posted via Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Went to the Verizon store today with intentions to purchase an S5 but walked out with an M8. Longing for the S5 camera but I do have to look at the phone all day long and the M8 is sweet! Has all I want with exception of a great camera but I decided I could live with that. Anyone else do the same?
I bought the M8 FOR the camera, but even if they had the exact same cam, I'd still pick the M8. I just don't like the plastic body and the touch wiz.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just from what I've read, I think I would have to choose the S5 between the two. Fortunately, there are offerings from LG and Apple as well.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My intentions when I walked into T-Mobile was to get the S5 mainly because of the camera. Once I started messing with it in the store I couldn't pull the trigger. Had a bad feeling. Well I walked over and saw the One and I was wowed. Very impressed. So I got the One. So glad I did. And the camera is not as bad as some people say. Pretty good in my opinion.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My intentions when I walked into T-Mobile was to get the S5 mainly because of the camera. Once I started messing with it in the store I couldn't pull the trigger. Had a bad feeling. Well I walked over and saw the One and I was wowed. Very impressed. So I got the One. So glad I did. And the camera is not as bad as some people say. Pretty good in my opinion.

The ONLY thing that is of any consequence is that you're happy. Enjoy your phone!

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the photos taken by the M8 camera are quite good, personally. One of the great qualities that most users seem to skip over is its sheer speed. It rivals my (allbeit somewhat old) SLR in picture taking speed. I am really enjoying the UFocus effect, as well.

My main drivers for choosing this phone (I just picked it up yesterday) were:
- Physical design: The most gorgeous phone I have ever owned. I like having the ports on the bottom and the size feels exactly right for my hand and face (when talking).
- Easily rooted and ROM-ed, if I decide to do that down the road.
- Sound quality. The headphones have very full sound and those built in speakers are great! I can't overstate how good the call quality is. I was in a noisy restaurant earlier today and could hear every word on my call with crystal clarity. I don't think I can say that about any other movie phone I've ever used.
- Battery life: Compared to my GS3, the M8 is terrific on battery usage, even with location history and sharing turned on for Google Now.
-Signal strength: I didn't really choose this phone for that because I couldn't know what it would be like ahead of time. I am getting solid Ltd signal where I never have before (including my office and my home; two problem spots for me).

Of course, there are some things I don't like, mostly quirky design decisions by HTC. I don't like that the notification light shuts off after 5 minutes or that it doesn't blink while charging (that second bit might be a bug). I don't like that I can't get rid of HTC's own lockscreen widget. The NFC notification is dumb and I am struggling with file management restriction made by Kit Kat (not HTC's fault).

-SR-

Last edited:

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I echo everything the reviews have said about this great phone, but they don't mention the crystal clarity of the calls. Sometimes I forget I am I using a cellular phone and not a land line. Its that good.

It also hangs onto signal in spots my GS4 could not.

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Ditto....Walked in with intentions of getting a s5. Walked out with a M8. I stopped by at&t today, and after handeling the M8 for the last week. Picking up the S5 display model again, I knew in 10 secs I made the right choice. And I have been a Sammy guy the last few phones. Goodbye touch wiz, goodbye plastic!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Haha. That's so wrong. Had them both and kept the S5. The M8 isn't even close.

I only report what I read... to each his own-

oh... and here are two seperate quotes from you... yes. YOU.

"""""Agreed. A lot of the photos that I've seen taken with the s5 have not really been that good"""""""

and here is a quote on a picture someone posted-

"""""that is truly disappointing, hopefully thats operator error because the M8 that I just sold could do way better""""""

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

"""""Agreed. A lot of the photos that I've seen taken with the s5 have not really been that good"""""""

"""""that is truly disappointing, hopefully thats operator error because the M8 that I just sold could do way better""""""

Well played sir. Well played.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Lol...now please post some of my M8 comments from when I had it a couple weeks back:) especially why I sold it:))))

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I was torn between the two. I ultimately decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy S5. Why? Because I liked the display much better and I didn't like the length of the M8. Otherwise.. the M8...with the metal body and dual speakers.. is a very sharp looking phone.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
We have an M8 and an S5 at home now - and while I don't like the M8's on-screen buttons, it's still the better phone for one simple reason: it's much, much faster than the S5. The whole UI on the S5 is somewhat slow-ish. Partly it's subjective - it just FEELS slow somehow. But other things are more obvious: apps start slower, there's a considerable amount of lag in some apps (Tapatalk, Chrome and Feedly, for example) and the UI (e.g. when starting the task launcher). The S5 should be blazingly fast, but it just isn't. I already put Nova on it but that didn't make a real difference. It's just another Samsung.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
early reports on the s5 are of poor build quility. a rattle somewhere in the phone along with a slow crappy camera.

No rattle on mine. The camera isn't "crappy" - it's the best camera any android phone has ever seen. But the software is slow and laggy, as are other parts of the phone.