HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I am getting very good battery life. 19 hours of use and still 70% left. And I always leave everything on...bluetooth, wifi, gps, nfg etc. I am on Verizon, Lollipop 5.0.1. Have had the phone for about a month.

Screenshot_2015-05-05-11-49-12.jpg

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Since we're sharing screenshots, here's mine:
Screenshot_2015-05-05-17-21-13.jpg

I'm not sure how that History total works, though. I know I had my phone on the charger for about 20 minutes this morning (i.e., 10 hours ago). (I meant to recharge it for the day but forgot to plug it in when I was supposed to.)

Go Faster

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Er...okay...where to start?

1. My battery life is fantastic. I can go through a 15 hour day and have 50% or more remaining each and every day with moderate use.

2. The HTC One M8 has a 5" screen, not 5.5" screen, and it is most certainly not a "phablet" as you suggest.

3. You're talking about a phone that came out a year ago as though it came out yesterday. Why?

4. You speak of HTC being a "failure" and yet the HTC One M8 was (in my opinion and the opinion of many others as well) the best phone of the year.

5. I don't mean to offend you, but HTC is more than capable of surviving without your "advice" regardless of how much you demand they follow it - if you have an issue with battery life, either your expectations are unrealistic or you're not taking the necessary steps to ensure your battery lasts the whole day. If you are having issues, there are many people here willing and able to assist you with your phone's battery life, but instead of criticizing the manufacturer, you'll have to start a new thread and request help.

You were actually able to understand that fool ? Send him an iPhone.:D

outdoortim

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: My battery life sucks what's wrong ?

work gave me this phone i am 53 and know nothing, it turns off for lack of charge at about 2 hrs with everything i can find turned off. My work contract says I must not download anything , I have not. I am a van driver, and know my area I do not use sat nav, or use it for anything but calls. I have turned off wi fi,, so no internet etc ( i am on home desktop now,) but the phone still knows where i am ( it tells me the weather) as if I can't look out of the window! What is it running?

Last edited:

outdoortim

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
My work gave me this phone, and yes I am 53 and know nothing but the battery lasts less than half a day, I am not allowed to download anything and do not need email so have turned off wifi . I am a van driver and know my my area so never use sat nav or anything like that I am not on facebook or any other social makeadiffgerence stuff, either the battery is duff or I am running something I don'nt know it is on extreme battery saver but this dos'nt seem to make a difference,, Sorry to ask but I am clueless, I could mend an engine , birth a cow or build a house, but I can't master a few buttons.

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok, this phone has the worst battery life I've ever experienced but I do love it overall. I actually blame Sprint more than i blame HTC. Anyway, i returned my first one after 1 week when I first got it b/c I thought the battery was defective, but now I realized that the previous one was probably in range of this one.

i average about 1hr of screen time per day and burn my battery at 4%+ per hour. randomly, I will drop down to 2% with this type of usage. I dont game. I facebook, do some photos and check emails and my fitbit - occasionally some Spotify. I have power saving on (screen brightness and no haptic). Recently, I installed Google Photos which IMHO made the battery life even worse.

here's some GSAMs
Screenshot_2015-06-24-23-35-55.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-24-23-36-04.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-24-23-36-45.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-27-11-11-05.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-27-11-11-12.jpg

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you one thing, low cellular signal will cause higher battery use.
Looking at your pic your in the red half the time which is low signal and yellow the rest, which isnt much better.

foomex

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
My battery usage improved dramatically the day I uninstalled Battery Doctor, Clean Master and CM Security.
I have CleanMaster but I have always doubted it accuracy. I use the "Junk File" function the most and it weirds me out that I can junk out around 400MB per day. Bottom line, I've trashed 35.5GB in 6 months, according to Clean Master.
Is that all fake numbers? How am I supposed to clean caches and junky files on my own? Please tell me, I want to get rid of CleanMaster.

My work gave me this phone, and yes I am 53 and know nothing but the battery lasts less than half a day, I am not allowed to download anything and do not need email so have turned off wifi . I am a van driver and know my my area so never use sat nav or anything like that I am not on facebook or any other social makeadiffgerence stuff, either the battery is duff or I am running something I don'nt know it is on extreme battery saver but this dos'nt seem to make a difference,, Sorry to ask but I am clueless, I could mend an engine , birth a cow or build a house, but I can't master a few buttons.
That straight off wrong. Couple of comments/questions:
1) When charging it, do you wait until it is 100% fully charged?
2) If you do, and you have a pre-used phone, you should tell them ASAP so they log in your comment, perhaps the last owner drained all of its power and left you a pretty dead battery.
3) If you do, and it was given to you brand new in the box, then you should tell them ASAPest!! Because they gave you a damaged phone and they should ask for a replacement.

4) If you just charge it for a while and don't even know how much percentage you charge it with... try charging 100% of it for once and see if there are better results.
5) There are three ways to get the weather.
a)Wi-fi, but you turned that off
b)Mobile Data (3G/4G/LTE), you need to check if this is off (Settings>Mobile Data>Off)
c) Location (Settings > Location > Off)

6) HOWEVER, you should be able to have those services on and still get a good usage during the day. Unless you have a really aggresive-draining running app in the background. (You can see what's running on Apps > Manage Apps > Swipe to the left two or three times to get to "Running Apps"

7) I'd recommend you to either ask help from a tech-saavy friend/co-worker that will help you. Or keep asking questions here until you figure it out.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have CleanMaster but I have always doubted it accuracy. I use the "Junk File" function the most and it weirds me out that I can junk out around 400MB per day. Bottom line, I've trashed 35.5GB in 6 months, according to Clean Master.
Is that all fake numbers? How am I supposed to clean caches and junky files on my own? Please tell me, I want to get rid of CleanMaster.

I stay away from optimization type apps by third party developers, so I don't have first hand experience with Clean Master. (First party apps like Snapdragon Battery Guru made by Qualcomm are a possible exception because they are tailor made for their products) In your case, I think the "junk" files Clean Master is removing are cache files, which are cycled out by Android already. Think about it. The phone has either 16 or 32 GB internal storage and most of us don't run those optimization apps, but there isn't a plague of running out of space. If that 35 GB of deleted junk was standard files, everyone else would have ran out of space long ago. So I wouldn't worry about that number as it is misleading, much like the other advertised functions in those kinds of apps. They rely on the ignorance of users to promote/sell their apps.

I've no doubt that you could be deleting 400MB a day, but it's generally best to not bother. Especially if it's cache files. Those files don't use any resources in and of themselves, other than take up a little space. What they do is allow apps to run smoother and save on resources. Let's say you want to go to a pic heavy site in your web browser. If you go there often, many of those pics could already be in cache. That means the browser can display them quicker from the local file, doesn't have to use mobile or Wi-Fi data to get it again, and saves a little battery in the process. If you've cleared the cache, the browser is going to just add files back to it again automatically. Using an app to clear the cache regularly, you're now actually using more resources to keep things running due to the reloading of the cache and processing otherwise cached files from scratch.

There are times where cleaning cache may help if things get slow or buggy, but that's usually tied to one specific app during its use. Clearing it can maybe get rid of the corrupted file. To do this, go into the phone settings and tap the App Manager option in the menu. It'll then display your apps in various tabs. Find the app in question and select it. In there you'll see an option to clear the cache and another to clear the data. Clearing the cache won't harm anything. Clearing the app data effectively resets it as if you just installed it brand new. All saved files tied to it will be deleted (I.e. Game saves and such) and you'll start over from scratch if nothing is backed up. Sometimes things get so corrupted that you do have to use a data reset.

Jjb123

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: My battery life sucks what's wrong ?

There is a real problem with your device. Sounds like a rogue app killing the battery. The absolute best way to solve it is to factory reset and see if the problem stops. Once you do the reset keep the phone free from any additional apps. If it works fine then go ahead and reinstall your apps. If not, get it replaced ASAP. NFC uses very little power. If you are in a very weak area for coverage it would kill your battery pretty quick, but that would have been the same on your old device.

Posted via Android Central App

Hey I bought this phone pre owned and I have bigger problems I have only been reading through this for about 10 mins and I have lost 4 percent battery what should I do :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez