HTC One (M8): Camera Lens Issue

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8): Camera lens cover issue

Car polish works...? Is there something in particular that cleans it...? Would nail varnish remover work???

Although the car polish, toothpaste and other "stuff" others have suggested has worked for them, I used a lightly moistened with water microfiber cloth and was able to rub it all off. In my option, all the other stuff is overkill. My next choice would be rubbing alcohol.

Just my .02 from my own experience.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Although the car polish, toothpaste and other "stuff" others have suggested has worked for them, I used a lightly moistened with water microfiber cloth and was able to rub it all off. In my option, all the other stuff is overkill. My next choice would be rubbing alcohol.

It's interesting how the hardness of the coating seems to vary, or perhaps the amount of it. On my front facing lens I was able to scratch it off with my fingernail and a cloth. On the back it took five minutes of toothpaste to do it.

Sent from my HTC One M8

abbzys24

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

I got my device back yesterday and I activated it and it doesn't work!! I can't make calls or texts, I was on the phone with a Sprint technician for a hour. He told my my phone is for sure defective. Even though when I went to the Sprint store before calling the rep and it was working there I left the store and didn't realize but the phone stopped working again. I'm using it to type right now because I'm connected to WiFi and with the new Sprint update I can WiFi call and text, I went to the Sprint store earlier and it was working again in the store. The guy told me come tomorrow before 6 so he has a hour to work with it. He even tried telling me that it wasn't a Sprint phone. I wanted to start laughing when he said that. I just told him I'll be back tomorrow because I know it's not gonna work. The Sprint technician told me on the phone that I have 14 days because the phone came directly from HTC to go into the store and get a new one because its defective. I'll keep you guys updated. All I wanted was a new phone because of the camera issue. If that camera issue happens again I'm just gonna use toothpaste lol. Well I'm gonna go tomorrow to the Sprint store. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Did it work for you?

vixen80

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

Same issue Here. Phone immaculate yet camera lens scratched so bad it was making pictures blurred. After reading on internet and deciding I'd got nothing to lose I tried the drop of water and credit card trick and the lens is now perfect. I'm usually quite sceptical about these things but this does actually work. Here's a before and after image:

Before:

After:

crawfojj

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I watched the haze slowly build up on my main lense and decided to take action today when a picture I took outside came out looking pretty rough. I used some Meguiars PlastX (plastic cleaner & polisher) that I had laying around. Tiny drop on a microfiber wipe and it came off in seconds. All good!

I used the Meguiars PlastX (Thanks btbam08) a couple of nights ago and now my phone is back to taking great pics again! Finished it off with screen cleaner and microfiber cloth. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Here's right before.
2014-07-15 20.03.40.jpg
And right away after
2014-07-15 21.16.19.jpg

Sal Gs

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Camera lens cover issue

I used Turtle Wax Scratch & Swirl Remover. It worked well for me, looks like I never scratched my camera lens.

matchtrader2000

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Camera lens cover issue

Same issue here. Used the angled corner of a micro sim card which fit nicely into all three camera lens covers on the phone and provides a bit more surface area for cleaning than a credit card. The problem is now solved. A whole lot simpler than returning it to HTC.

jwalker007

May 15, 2010
Visit site

After reading through this entire posts weighing the pros and cons, I decided to go the alcohol and Q tip route, it worked perfectly in 5 minutes using a circular motion. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Zahra Khan

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi!

My issue seems to be a little different. While my back camera's lens cover is scratch free, for some reason, suddenly my front facing camera lens has developed a lot of scratches, so much that the lower half of all pictures are blurry. How do I get rid of this? Can this be scratched off too? I'm scared of worsening the situation even further. I was thinking of applying the scratch removal formula that people use to remove scratches on cars. Please help me out here, its been only a couple of months and I hate seeing anything wrong happen to my phone. Thanks.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Hi!

My issue seems to be a little different. While my back camera's lens cover is scratch free, for some reason, suddenly my front facing camera lens has developed a lot of scratches, so much that the lower half of all pictures are blurry. How do I get rid of this? Can this be scratched off too? I'm scared of worsening the situation even further. I was thinking of applying the scratch removal formula that people use to remove scratches on cars. Please help me out here, its been only a couple of months and I hate seeing anything wrong happen to my phone. Thanks.

The front one on mine was the first to fall to the scratches. I can assure you it's just the coating, not the lens itself. I was actually able to scratch it off the front one with my fingernail. Looks like you're destroying it at first but then you realize you're just scratching off the coating and the actual material underneath is perfect. So either do that or use the toothpaste or one of the other cleaning methods on here. But just remember, it's the useless coating, not the lens.

Sent from my HTC One M8

dougxd45

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

I too used the alcohol and qtip method. Took 5 or so mins and viola!!

Does anyone actually know why this coating is technically there in the first place? Seems pretty obvious now that it shouldn't be there.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I too used the alcohol and qtip method. Took 5 or so mins and viola!!

Does anyone actually know why this coating is technically there in the first place? Seems pretty obvious now that it shouldn't be there.

The theory was it was a super cheap UV coating. Even glass UV filters for DSLRs don't really do much of anything, so it's kind of a neutral thing until it starts scratching off.

Sent from my HTC One M8

joe morgan4

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

I too just noticed this issue today, since I'm at work, with no access to running alcohol or toothpaste, I tried spit and a microfiber cloth, I mean my shirt. Worked just fine.

Last edited:

joe morgan4

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

I starting to think most of you are OCD. It's just a film over the lens that can be cleaned off with a little work. Why its there I don't know but I think its just a protective film from the manufacturing process that was never cleaned off.

Posted via Android Central App

Well said. I just used my spit and my shirt and all is well hahaha. Film is gone!

RockyMtnRedRaider

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I tried 99.9% pure alcohol and a cotton swab for 20 minutes, and it didn't work for me. Panic set in, and then I went to Wal-Mart and spent $7 on Meguiar's PlastX. Used that, combined with a microfiber cloth. Worked perfectly. Highly recommended. Only the edges around the perimeter of the lens show signs of the coating. I might get ambitious later and finish it off, but for now I am happy! Great pictures again.

RockyMtnRedRaider

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I tried 99.9% pure alcohol and a cotton swab for 20 minutes, and it didn't work for me. Panic set in, and then I went to Wal-Mart and spent $7 on Meguiar's PlastX. Used that, combined with a microfiber cloth. Worked perfectly. Highly recommended. Only the edges around the perimeter of the lens show signs of the coating. I might get ambitious later and finish it off, but for now I am happy! Great pictures again.

Attachments

• IMAG2838.jpg
    IMAG2838.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 60

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

So this issue is still occurring on newer units?

I have heard it even happens on replacement lenses. I had mine replaced and put a shield on it when it returned. If the shield gets too much of a pain, I will just do the PlastX thing and be done with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87