HTC One (M8): Not impressed by the battery...

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I still think the battery in mine is rubbish. I left my phone charging until 11pm last night, started at 98?.Then used it for about an hour before going to sleep.

I woke up at 6 and was down 50% in that time.

Not impressed, any suggestions? See attached image

2h70xdy.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not impressed by the battery...

Probably because your in a low reception area, as shown by your one bar in the photo.

Also, held awake was 6 hours, not sure what this means, but it sounds like you had an app keeping the phone awake most of the night. Try downloading the app greenify and see what apps are running, if they're something non essential put then into hibernate and see if that helps with your battery.

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

turn off nfc and any radios you do not use. also I found that these battery apps do more harm then good. I had battery master installed and my battery life was worse. I uninstaleld it and battery life greatly improved.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

I had a session of crazy battery use, guessed it was an app gone wonky so rebooted the phone and it all settled down.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Your mobile network signal looks bad. As your radio searches to connect to a stable network, it chews more power trying to do so.

My battery life is ridiculously good. 6 hours screen on time, never deplete the battery in a single day. I love it.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

If this bad battery life is a one off then reboot your phone to clear out any apps that have gone bad.
If it happens every night then you've got something you have to try and fix.

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

Ok I turned off Google location services, htc account sync and did a hard reboot. Looks like I've managed to get the "awake" time matching closer to the screen on time now.

2u7u5q0.png

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

Give it a day or so and if it's all good re-enable google services.
Hopefully you'll be fine now and a reboot (as with computers) often sorts out things like this.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

If I'm reading this correctly, you're losing 40% between midnight and 6am? With your phone being "awake" but the screen is off? As opposed to what that last poster said, I don't think your problem is fixed, that's should not be normal. Also why doesn't your battery ever start at 100%.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

That's not normal at all. Something is keeping your phone awake. Your awake activity should mirror your screen on time almost exactly.

Posted via Android Central App

Zomb!e

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

I would start by hunting down the app that's keeping your phone awake. I haven't used gsam or greenify in forever but they should give you an idea on which apps to check into.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Dogmann

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Hi all

Not only have i found battery life to be brilliant on my M8 but it also charges faster then any other phone I've ever had and that has really surprised me. I have syncing on all the time for Google Now, my calendar and 3 E-mail accounts on push and only GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth are turned off when not in use i also always have my screen brightness on full as i always do on all my phones as personally always want the best screen experience possible all the time. This is the first HTC phone i have had since the HTC HD WM 6.5 days so I'm far from being a HTC fan boy and have to say i am really impressed by not just the excellent build quality of the M8 but also by how unobtrusive Sense is initially i was planning on flashing my M8 to a GPE Rom but now really can't see the point. Which is very different to how i felt about my Galaxy S3 which ran a Nexus Rom from as soon as i got it as couldn't stand all that Samsung bloat and TouchWiz. As i have typed this post i have just checked my Battery stats and after 22h 16m 5s i am on 48% i don't know about anyone else but i think that's pretty amazing and I'm not using any battery saving modes either.

13887841542_66460839ab_c.jpg
[/url]HTC One M8 battery status by Marc Obermann, on Flickr][/IMG]

Marc

Last edited:

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Yeah there's something wrong there, because mine is two days old and I had the same thing as you last night...unplugged at 11pm and off charger overnight, started at 100%, and

nymenytu.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

If I'm reading this correctly, you're losing 40% between midnight and 6am? With your phone being "awake" but the screen is off? As opposed to what that last poster said, I don't think your problem is fixed, that's should not be normal. Also why doesn't your battery ever start at 100%.

If it was a crashed app locking the phone awake (most likely) a reboot will fix that.
If the app is broken and wake locks every time it's run then it'll keep wakelocking the phone every time it's run.

Chances are it was a random app messing about, it happens.
Doesn't mean the phone is broken.

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok looks like I've nailed it. Battery use is MUCH better now. It seems one or all of switching off the sync, location services and hard restart has made it sleep properly when the screen is off. Thanks for all the help guys!

2e4jcpv.png

Last edited:

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Alright, here's a question. Is this under average battery life from what some of you guys are getting? I'd post the GSam info but I restarted at one point and that apparently resets it. I'd categorize my usage today on the higher side of medium. I wasn't gaming or doing much of any video watching, but quite a lot of texting, a couple short calls, and web browsing quite a bit. That's with Auto-sync off and mobile data off for about half the time I was on wi-fi due to a pretty bad connection in my building. Thoughts?
Screenshot_2014-04-18-01-01-41.jpg