Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fast Boot?

Under the Power settings, there's an option called Fast Boot. Is there any reason to NOT having this option checked? I'm not turning my phone off very often, but why would I NOT want it to start back up as quickly as possible when I do? I just thought this was kind of a strange option.

Default Re: Fast Boot?

With FastBoot on you never actually shut down the device while rebooting and if your trying to fix something that is glitched it will rarely help to reboot with FastBoot on. If you don't reboot often just disable it.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ahhh....So the phone never actually powers completely down when Fast Boot is toggled on, then. I see. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    With FastBoot on you never actually shut down the device while rebooting and if your trying to fix something that is glitched it will rarely help to reboot with FastBoot on. If you don't reboot often just disable it.
    I don't think this is accurate. If I shut my phone off, not just restart, it doesn't stay on. It shuts off completely. I might be wrong, but I don't think it keeps the phone on

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
    raichur0xx0rz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I don't think this is accurate. If I shut my phone off, not just restart, it doesn't stay on. It shuts off completely. I might be wrong, but I don't think it keeps the phone on

No it doesn't keep the phone on, it's meant to help power on your device quickly, usually from a cold-boot.

The main issue with it is for those who need somewhat regular access to the Bootloader/Fastboot Mode or Recovery, which isn't a ton of people, which is why it is checked by default.

I was wondering this myself. Seems that there must be some kind of disadvantage, otherwise fast boot would be regular boot. Seems like it kills all operations as all my apps are shut and restarted when I fast boot (as if they were force closed).

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    No it doesn't keep the phone on, it's meant to help power on your device quickly, usually from a cold-boot.

The main issue with it is for those who need somewhat regular access to the Bootloader/Fastboot Mode or Recovery, which isn't a ton of people, which is why it is checked by default.
    Well the question is, why have it as an option at all. Why not just always make the phone "Fastboot" ... is there some reason you wouldn't want it to fastboot? What is different about the boot sequence?

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post

It doesn't "keep the phone on" It keeps the RAM powered on so it can boot faster but you also retain all the errors in memory you might be trying to flush out.
    Thanked by 2:
    ImmaSlave4U, cizzlen and ErnstMach like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWu View Post
    Well the question is, why have it as an option at all. Why not just always make the phone "Fastboot" ... is there some reason you wouldn't want it to fastboot? What is different about the boot sequence?
    There are several older HTC devices that it is just common knowledge to keep Fastboot off. It has been improved so it functions alot better now but there are still times you have to disable it to get a full reboot. Its a common power cycle process that their support service will ask you to do before returning for service.
    Thanked by 2:
    cizzlen and ErnstMach like this.

Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    I was wondering this myself. Seems that there must be some kind of disadvantage, otherwise fast boot would be regular boot. Seems like it kills all operations as all my apps are shut and restarted when I fast boot (as if they were force closed).
    There are very few if any non-HTC apps that support Fastboot.

It doesn't "keep the phone on" It keeps the RAM powered on so it can boot faster but you also retain all the errors in memory you might be trying to flush out.
    Keeping the Ram powered on would only apply to restarts. If you power the phone off, the Ram isn't going to be kept on.

Keeping the Ram powered on would only apply to restarts. If you power the phone off, the Ram isn't going to be kept on.

With Fastboot enabled yes it does keep the RAM powered on. This has already been tested tirelessly on XDA.

Additional supporting threads:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-one-s/6...-fastboot.html
    Uncheck Fast boot
    Thanked by 2:
    cizzlen likes this.

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Well, I know this. With fastboot on, my phone booted in 18.65 seconds and I had full control of everything, including my widgets. With fastboot off, the phone took 48.12 seconds to boot to the point where I could unlock it, and the widgets didn't full load until the 1:13.45 mark. So it does make big a difference, makes sense that it would be due to the ram being cleared out on a "slow boot". I just wonder why the setting is in the "Power" section... does it save power to have it unchecked? I would assume so, since it would mean no power is being used to keep ram powered on.
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.

The power draw with Fastboot on and the device off is minimal to the tune of less than a 2% additional lose. It take so little power to maintain RAM.
    ImmaSlave4U likes this.

There are very few if any non-HTC apps that support Fastboot.
    So, then many apps are being affected by fast boot, meaning it should have a good chance at fixing glitches. Your first statements was perhaps a bit too broad is all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    So, then many apps are being affected by fast boot, meaning it should have a good chance at fixing glitches. Your first statements was perhaps a bit too broad is all I'm saying.
    Here is where it gets complicated. An app can benefit from Fastboot without supporting it like widgets because the system elements handling the widget are saved through reboot.

Basically Fastboot saves everything in RAM through reboot but Android only keeps what it needs to boot disregarding what is beyond that but doesn't flush the memory either.

Here is where it gets complicated. An app can benefit from Fastboot without supporting it like widgets because the system elements handling the widget are saved through reboot.

Basically Fastboot saves everything in RAM through reboot but Android only keeps what it needs to boot disregarding what is beyond that but doesn't flush the memory either.
    That makes sense. So, I'm gathering that normal boot is left as an option for completely flushing the RAM for situations in which it's necessary (glitches, etc)?
    Thanked by:
    Dws51 

Exactly Its great to use for fastbooting but always consider if your having a problem disabling it and rebooted might help and if you don't reboot much than it is not of much use for you.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Wow. This thread sure got interesting! Thanks for all the discussion, guys. It's definitely WAY faster to leave the Fast Boot on. Hopefully I don't run into this phone bogging down anytime soon, and I won't have to worry about powering it down in order to speed things up. My Moto Razr Maxx got to the point where I was turning it on and off 3 times a day. I'll keep it on Fast Boot, but maybe completely power it down once a week to "flush" it out. Thanks again!

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

The main con with FastBoot enabled is it drains your battery significantly more.

Quote Originally Posted by d_la_roc View Post
    The main con with FastBoot enabled is it drains your battery significantly more.
    I've never noticed this, I used it on my m7 all the time and now my m8 without any difference in battery life.

ImmaSlave4U likes this.

I've never noticed this, I used it on my m7 all the time and now my m8 without any difference in battery life.

It does make a difference. If you use it on your m7 and m8 all the time then how would you know? It isn't allot of extra battery use but it is more when having fast boot enabled

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    It does make a difference. If you use it on your m7 and m8 all the time then how would you know? It isn't allot of extra battery use but it is more when having fast boot enabled

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Because I've tested with it on and off and using gsam the battery life is the same, for me at least.

Topgonzo likes this.

It's basically like putting your Windows PC to 'sleep' when you have Fastboot enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    It's basically like putting your Windows PC to 'sleep' when you have Fastboot enabled.
    All fast boot does is keep the ram powered on when you shut the device off. That way when you turn it back on, it will start up faster. It doesn't do anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast