Fast Boot?

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I've never noticed this, I used it on my m7 all the time and now my m8 without any difference in battery life.

Posted via Android Central App

It does make a difference. If you use it on your m7 and m8 all the time then how would you know? It isn't allot of extra battery use but it is more when having fast boot enabled

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It does make a difference. If you use it on your m7 and m8 all the time then how would you know? It isn't allot of extra battery use but it is more when having fast boot enabled

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Because I've tested with it on and off and using gsam the battery life is the same, for me at least.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It's basically like putting your Windows PC to 'sleep' when you have Fastboot enabled.

All fast boot does is keep the ram powered on when you shut the device off. That way when you turn it back on, it will start up faster. It doesn't do anything else.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That's absolutely not the case for me. I've had Fastboot enabled since I got my M8 and have had nothing but stellar battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

And since you never even tried it without you have no idea what the difference even is. Can you see just how dumb your post reads? Being that it is a fact Fastboot uses more power even if it is not much you would still get more power with it disabled.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
And since you never even tried it without you have no idea what the difference even is. Can you see just how dumb your post reads? Being that it is a fact Fastboot uses more power even if it is not much you would still get more power with it disabled.
I just plugged in my phone and I was at 20% at 21 hours. Fact is fast boot has absolutely no impact on battery life. Were adults having a discussion nothing else. Leave the name calling and childish behavior at the door. *reported*

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I just plugged in my phone and I was at 20% at 21 hours. Fact is fast boot has absolutely no impact on battery life. Were adults having a discussion nothing else. Leave the name calling and childish behavior at the door. *reported*

FYI: Fastboot only effects battery while the phone is OFF! What part of Fastboot makes you think it has anything to do with battery life while turned ON?

Maybe my earlier post is becoming clearer now?

aramos87

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, I know this. With fastboot on, my phone booted in 18.65 seconds and I had full control of everything, including my widgets. With fastboot off, the phone took 48.12 seconds to boot to the point where I could unlock it, and the widgets didn't full load until the 1:13.45 mark. So it does make big a difference, makes sense that it would be due to the ram being cleared out on a "slow boot". I just wonder why the setting is in the "Power" section... does it save power to have it unchecked? I would assume so, since it would mean no power is being used to keep ram powered on.

What version of the phone do you have, I only ask because when I restart my phone with it checked and with it unchecked the restart times are identical. I have an AT&T version.

malaka_yatti

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am using HTC One M8, but I don't have such an option called fast boot in my settings and I am trying to root my phone and because of this situation i cannot do that. Please lemme know if you know any solutuion

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am using HTC One M8, but I don't have such an option called fast boot in my settings and I am trying to root my phone and because of this situation i cannot do that. Please lemme know if you know any solutuion

It is located under the POWER settings page and then at the bottom of the page.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I also find very little difference in having it checked or not when starting from a cold boot. I have always had it on as I thought it worked like a PC does in that it would bypass certain hardware tests, like RAM chip tests, or BIOS tests. I realize that Android is different than Windows and other OS's but I guessed that at the hardware level similar tests were being done when starting the phone cold. I do note that on my Verizon version the setting does state that using the feature will allow the phone to start up and shut down faster?? Seeing that hardware tests do not take place when shutting down, it appears as if those who say it is keeping the RAM activated makes sense. By keeping the RAM turned on when power cycling the phone, the RAM does not have to be flushed on power down, not does it have to be populated when turning the phone on. But, is it the volatile RAM that is being used, or is it a type of cache that is being written too, and accessed when booting up? Sort of like what takes place on a PC over time where the most used files for startup are place in a particular location for quicker access, and thus quicker boot?

Some-E

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Fast boot is much more than keeping RAM powered up. Or, to be more accurate: it's much much less than booting up your device from the cold. I have used fast boot option on 5.1.1 (CM12.1 unofficial for Galaxy S2 GT-I9100), and it "shuts down" in seconds, and also wakes up in seconds, but not everything is just frozen, some things "boot up" or restart after fast boot. I have observed (using OS Monitor) that there is some file system scanning after each fast boot. It could be the infamous media scanning, that occurs after storage volumes are mounted. I'm seeing it the way that the OS doesn't leave media "open" in fast boot mode. By unmounting the storage, it makes sure every read/write is completed before powering components off. I'd do it like that, but I'm no hardcore expert, so I'm basically guessing (saying this to keep it fair - don't ask me for more details, as I don't know).

The real benefit? If everything works with fast boot, the OS does not need to do full startup, load all the system components, graphics, sounds, devices, daemons... it needs for normal operation. If normal full boot takes time, be sure it consumes battery. But, how much can one or two minutes of heavier loading hurt? We're supposed to run the battery for hours in actual use. Anyway, the post-boot activity will be cut down, and definitely it's a battery saver if you don't need to have the device running for the next 30 mins plus. I would use fast boot if I was on a bus for example, without a charger, and needed to check the map or messages and then get some sleep. Or just hang out without the device :)

Cons?
1) Firstly, as previously stated, all the "dirt" and errors follow. If the system is overly loaded, it will be after fast boot.

Note that you still should be able to do forced full reboot by keeping power button depressed as long as the screen goes black, approx. 7 seconds on my I9100 - or just take the battery out on the fly, if it's removable. The only case when to NOT force reboot / cut the power is this:

2) I think I found a real danger with fast boot: I kinda bricked my phone yesterday. I guess I didn't wait long enough for shut down, and took battery off. I was just doing a normal shutdown, to replace the battery with a new battery! What a waste... :D Doesn't boot, the phone is stuck on Cyanogen logo and sometimes flashes of "Optimizing...". I let it run for several hours, but it doesn't finish.

So, if fast boot works ok, it saves battery because a) the device doesn't boot from zero and b) it doesn't really operate being sleeping.

My EUR cents...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qaz