HTC One (M8) did weird things to my SD Card

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Before you assume that I haven't read and/or don't know about the changes to KK and SD access, I do. This is not that, and I haven't seen this issue reported yet.

I moved from a Note 3 to the M8. The Note was updated to KK and I never saw any of the issues reported by some that SD features were affected.

After I picked up the M8, I installed my SD card in and the phone couldn't see any of my music and only a couple of pictures. I assumed that it was because they were in folders that the new KK folder wouldn't allow it to see, but that made no sense, because write access is changed. Read access is fine. I removed the card and put it back into my Note 3. Now I see that the M8 had changed two of my folders. Movies is now Music.4 and Pictures is now Pictures.8

So I powered off the M8 thinking that because it was a warm swap, I messed something up. Powered it up and now the phone sees pictures and music. Here's the issue...

That Music.4 and Picture.8 folder are completely empty. All of the files are gone.

Also, in my Movies folder, about 10 of my movies have also been altered to "moviefile.mp4.#" and the number is randomly between 1 and 9. Of course, since the phone didn't create the file/folder, it won't allow me to change the name of the file. Used my computer to rename all of the files individually, and that worked, but the other files are completely gone. Probably 4gb of music that was on my phone, and had never been put on my computer....

Even after KK, I could change and move files all day long on my Note 3. My assumption is it's because the Note 3 comes with a File Manager and the M8 does not. If this is the simple solution (or rather explanation) I understand. It sucks, but I understand. Why in the world doesn't HTC phones come with a file manager, or am I just missing it in settings?

Anyone else have their phone do this random appending of files/folders or have it delete files wholesale?

Still loving the feel, size, and look of the phone, but I'm NOT a happy camper...

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Nope. AT&T version. And I've never seen a file explorer on either this or the M7 I had last year.

Last edited:

dario999

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Exact same thing happened to me. But in my case it was going from the Note2 4.3 to the M8. Same weird folder names, missing files, etc. I needed to reformat the card and reload the files via Google's sync process, whatever it is called. Prior to this I reloaded the files using Note2 and the same thing happened again.

My guess is the Samsung file format or method to writing files is just a little to unique for this thing. The 64gig card is the only card I write to using the Note2 versus my SD converter. Other 32 gig cards worked fine on the M8. Now the 64 gig card is humming. It just needs to stay as far away from the Note2 as possible.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Same thing for me. Going from a note 3 on 4.3 to my m8. I also had to reformat (make sure you format to exfat through Windows and not fat32 on the phone). Reloaded the card and it works great now. It was a 32gb SanDisk sdxc.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Good rule of thumb for this stuff. If it doesn't exist in at least three places, it doesn't exist.

Backup your backup (on as many devices as you can) and you will never lose anything. I've been doing this for years and have yet to lose anything important to me.

Posted via Android Central App

kelvin emmett

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi did you get a fix for this, if my phone is powered off or the battery runs flat I loose everything that was on the sd card and the card is not recognised.