Car charger amp output

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I know this has been mentioned here before but I just want to clarify. Does it matter what the output amperage is of a car charger for this phone? I contacted HTC and they told me it must be 1 amp or under to avoid damaging the phone. I don't understand that since the charger that came with the phone is 1.5 amps. I have read some articles where higher amp chargers overheated the phone but there was the argument that it was not the charger that caused it. So if anyone knows for sure, please reply.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I highly suggest a two amp charger. Anything less and your phone will take longer to charge. I don't know where you got your information but it's totally erroneous.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Whoever at HTC that told you that is an *****. Typically, manufactures (phone or otherwise) will only design power supplies/chargers Just strong enough to run the device. So if the factory charger is rated 1.5A, then you don't want to go anything less. The only exception maybe being charging the phone while powered off since it's not needing to power the circuitry. It's fine to go with a stronger charger because the phone is what determines the power draw. Compare it to the wall charger plugged into the wall. The house circuit is rated at least 15A, but you know it's not forcing that to the charger and phone. It'd blow up!

A stronger charger may help charge a little bit faster, but I've never seen a noticeable difference because the phone is setup to draw a specific amount. I do prefer strong chargers, though, for flexibility and so it's not stressed as much as one that just meets the minimum. It'll run cooler and tend to last longer. On the flip side, once that is too weak and rated below the stock charger could overheat and burn out prematurely because the phone is demanding too much from it.

I've also seen manufactures claim you can only use OEM chargers because the phone needs the right type of signal or something like that. Motorola claimed aftermarket ones wouldn't work at all with my Bionic, but about all I ever use is an aftermarket car charger with no problems. There may be some durability or electrical noise qualities that make an OEM charger "better" in a pure technical view, but not enough to be worth the premium they charge and probably nothing the end user would notice. That's my opinion, anyway.

GregIsARadDude

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been curious about this too. I had a USB adaptor for my car that charged my iphone, albeit slowly. I recently was on a long drive and that USB adaptor wasn't charging my HTC One, just maintaining the same battery level. The only plus side is that i found out I have a 12V outlet in the backseat of my car (Bonus!) but now I'd really like to find a good USB adaptor that will charge my HTC One.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, I don't know how a word starting with "I", ending in "T" with a "dio" in the middle could be considered a swear would, but ok. :what:

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
^^^ I don't either. At least not in the context of your post. While not a swear word, perhaps offensive?

Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

barnabyj

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I got myself one of these:

Amazon.com: Anker? 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air, mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8) and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Pretty sure it is quick charge compatible, but don't quote me on that. It will give 2.4A on both ports, or however much the phone needs up to that. My experience with the screen on, streaming pandora over 4G, and sometimes navigation, it will charge the phone without issue. I'd say with all that running, 15-20% in a little under an hour. I haven't tried just charging the phone with nothing running to see how fast it is.

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Go for the higher output chargers but do make sure the design has a built-in removable fuse for an added layer of protection. Not all of them do.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the output of your vehicle's 12v system constrain these chargers? I mean, if your DC power jack only outputs 800 mAh , does it matter if you have a 2.1 mAh charger?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the output of your vehicle's 12v system constrain these chargers? I mean, if your DC power jack only outputs 800 mAh , does it matter if you have a 2.1 mAh charger?

Are you talking about a factory USB port, or a charger plugging into the 12V accessory outlet? If it's a factory USB port, then I wouldn't recommend it if it isn't rated at least as high as the phone's OEM charger. If you're talking about stand alone chargers for the outlet, then you're good as long as it's rated strong enough. A standard 12V outlet is rated 10A, or 120W (minus a little inherent losses as heat and efficiencies of the charger). A single 2.1A USB charger is putting out less than 11W at full power. So there is plenty of head room going that route.

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
As suggested above, a lower amperage charger will not damage your phone, but it will take longer to charge. I had my old charger in my car, which was an 800ma charger. The first time I tried to charge this phone with it, even with the screen off, it took an hour and only charged 3%. So I bought a 2 amp charger and now it charges very quickly, even though I really don't have to charge this phone in my car like my old one.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about a factory USB port, or a charger plugging into the 12V accessory outlet? If it's a factory USB port, then I wouldn't recommend it if it isn't rated at least as high as the phone's OEM charger. If you're talking about stand alone chargers for the outlet, then you're good as long as it's rated strong enough. A standard 12V outlet is rated 10A, or 120W (minus a little inherent losses as heat and efficiencies of the charger). A single 2.1A USB charger is putting out less than 11W at full power. So there is plenty of head room going that route.
Thanks...I got the USB port and DC jack mixed up in my brain. Too many malted hops, I guess. Thanks for the clarification.