Where does M8's dual camera save the depth/distance data?

lachdanan

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Is it possible to use the depth data saved by the dual camera outside the phone? For example in Photoshop, or in a compositing app like Nuke?

I find the one in the phone hard to use as it overwrites on the original image, etc. Also I could control the blur and apply different effects based on the depth data saved.

I checked the images outside the phone but they are jpg and couldn't find an extra channel or layer in them.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The data is stored in the JPEG, but outside the normal address location. This allows you to do a straight transfer of the files that are still be readable by ordinary software.

Even if you managed to extract the data, it's probably in a proprietary format that would be useless in photo editing software.

lachdanan

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
So do you mean the depth is saved as another image in another directory where the original jpeg just has a reference to? Do you know this location? I would still wanna check it out and could write some code to read it into Nuke for example. But it depends on the data.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No, I mean the data is stored somewhere within the original JPEG. The camera app on the phone knows where the data is an how to interpret it.

I have no idea where the data is stored in the JPEG, just that it is there. This is why the files are larger than normal.

lachdanan

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks alot, I will look into where one can save data into a jpeg and how to retrieve it. I haven't done this but I imagine there would be a way to get all the extra data from a jpeg using an API and then see if I can make sense of the data.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks alot, I will look into where one can save data into a jpeg and how to retrieve it. I haven't done this but I imagine there would be a way to get all the extra data from a jpeg using an API and then see if I can make sense of the data.

Keep us updated, I'd be really interested to try that out if you find a way to do it.