I tried the Note9 for a bit at my local store - Here are my thoughts

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So I finally had the chance to try out the Galaxy Note9 at my local Samsung store, and as a Note8 user, I was interested to see how my nearly 1-year old predecessor holds up.

- The design hasn’t changed all that much, and that’s personally fine by me. The phone still looks relatively current and it still looks pretty. I’m especially impressed by how they crammed a 4000mAh battery without drastically increasing size, width and depth. It’s a little thicker, wider and heavier than my Note8 but not drastically so. I presume they’re using battery balls.

- The copper was mt favorite out of the 3 colors they showed, which were blue and black. That yellow S Pen on the blue model has me intrigued though, which I sometimes refer to as the banana pen.

- No, the Note9’s S Pen doesn’t fit into the Note8, but the Note8’s pen fits into the Note9, although not as snugly.

- The display is typical Samsung; Bright, colorful and with an array of options for saturation and gamut support.

- Software hasn’t changed much from the Note8. Many of the options I’ve come to be familiar with are present though some of the new stuff’s nice.

- Bixby is......eh. Never used it much on the Note8 and my first impressions on the 9 hasn’t been great either, especially when the Bixby page on the home screen has that odd second of lag. I could say it’s a demo unit thing but the same has happened to my 8.

- The S Pen is pretty nice though. I liked how it can now be used as a remote. This would be nice for me as I can take long exposures without needing to use a timer or control my music remotely such as Spotify when I’m using Spotify Connect.

- The speakers. Oh boy. They are much, MUCH improved over the Note8. The Note9’s speakers are louder, crisper and because it’s stereo, has audibly more depth.

- The camera is unsurprisingly solid. I think Google’s HDR+ still reigns supreme but Samsung has a very capable shooter, although I think the Scene Optimizer’s effects are overdone at times. I usually find that I take better results just by setting the exposure myself.

- I’m very likely in the minority here, but I actually preferred the fingerprint sensor’s location on the Note8 as it rests where I naturally rest my index finger. With all that said, I have huge hands and a really long index finger. Much more people are happy with the Note9’s sensor placement, so I’m in the definitely outlier. Not like it’s something I can’t get used to either.

They’re pretty short impressions because I didn’t have all that much time but I like this phone quite a bit. Although I’ve mentioned it before that I wouldn’t be upgrading solely because my Note8 is holding up really strong and aside from battery, the Note9, while a great phone, doesn’t entice me to upgrade, which I think isn’t an entirely bad thing. It’s a great phone though.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Note 9 isn't even an upgrade. A Note 4 or 5 user can say its an upgrade, but from Note 8 it's mostly a sidegrade.

A side grade?
I have had a great year with my Note 8 but the Note 9 is not a 'sidegrade' have you even tried one for a few days, 10 minutes in a phone shop ain't gonna get you the true experience.

Try the low light photo's on the Note 9 compared with the 8!
I was reluctant to get the Note 9 over the 8 mainly due to what comments have been mentioned in various video's, but having the option with the yearly upgrade program, why not. I can't think of any reason why my choice was the wrong one, I never got 6 hours of on screen time with the Note 8 with 30% battery still left, including gaming (in the 2nd day of owning it!), I didn't have intelligent scan which opens my phone way faster than the 8, yes the FPS will take some getting used to but so did the 8, both are not the best position.
I'm not saying the Note 9 is perfect, but really it's an upgrade over the Note 8 in so many ways.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I too tried out the Note9 in the Samsung Experience Store and am really impressed even tho those models are running retail mode.

I bought the 512Gb Black N9 and I've no negatives with it.

Coming from a s8 to my first Note series phone I'm very impressed.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So I finally had the chance to try out the Galaxy Note9 at my local Samsung store, and as a Note8 user, I was interested to see how my nearly 1-year old predecessor holds up.

- The design hasn’t changed all that much, and that’s personally fine by me. The phone still looks relatively current and it still looks pretty. I’m especially impressed by how they crammed a 4000mAh battery without drastically increasing size, width and depth. It’s a little thicker, wider and heavier than my Note8 but not drastically so. I presume they’re using battery balls.

- The copper was mt favorite out of the 3 colors they showed, which were blue and black. That yellow S Pen on the blue model has me intrigued though, which I sometimes refer to as the banana pen.

- No, the Note9’s S Pen doesn’t fit into the Note8, but the Note8’s pen fits into the Note9, although not as snugly.

- The display is typical Samsung; Bright, colorful and with an array of options for saturation and gamut support.

- Software hasn’t changed much from the Note8. Many of the options I’ve come to be familiar with are present though some of the new stuff’s nice.

- Bixby is......eh. Never used it much on the Note8 and my first impressions on the 9 hasn’t been great either, especially when the Bixby page on the home screen has that odd second of lag. I could say it’s a demo unit thing but the same has happened to my 8.

- The S Pen is pretty nice though. I liked how it can now be used as a remote. This would be nice for me as I can take long exposures without needing to use a timer or control my music remotely such as Spotify when I’m using Spotify Connect.

- The speakers. Oh boy. They are much, MUCH improved over the Note8. The Note9’s speakers are louder, crisper and because it’s stereo, has audibly more depth.

- The camera is unsurprisingly solid. I think Google’s HDR+ still reigns supreme but Samsung has a very capable shooter, although I think the Scene Optimizer’s effects are overdone at times. I usually find that I take better results just by setting the exposure myself.

- I’m very likely in the minority here, but I actually preferred the fingerprint sensor’s location on the Note8 as it rests where I naturally rest my index finger. With all that said, I have huge hands and a really long index finger. Much more people are happy with the Note9’s sensor placement, so I’m in the definitely outlier. Not like it’s something I can’t get used to either.

They’re pretty short impressions because I didn’t have all that much time but I like this phone quite a bit. Although I’ve mentioned it before that I wouldn’t be upgrading solely because my Note8 is holding up really strong and aside from battery, the Note9, while a great phone, doesn’t entice me to upgrade, which I think isn’t an entirely bad thing. It’s a great phone though.

You used Demo mode

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Try the low light photo's on the Note 9 compared with the 8!
The 9 most definitely takes better shots at night mostly due to the enhanced MFP and wider aperture. However, the 8 is no slouch if I have to be really honest. The Note9's photos are much cleaner and have more detail due to that MFP, but the Note8's photos actually hold up alright in comparison, which I guess says a lot more about how good phone cameras have become.

Note 9 isn't even an upgrade. A Note 4 or 5 user can say its an upgrade, but from Note 8 it's mostly a sidegrade.
I think it's actually an upgrade since it improves on its predecessor in pretty much every way. Especially the battery, which really can't be ignored.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it's indeed in Demo Mode, although I don't think that explains the momentary delay in opening the Bixby page on the home screen.

The same occurs on my Note8 even after a factory reset. Funnily enough, it had no issues opening the Google Feed on Nova

I'm still on the fence with Bixby, I don't use that or Google assistant much to be fair but I do find the Google option understands me more.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

I agree the Speakers are much better now and I love the pictures produced by the Note 9.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
- I’m very likely in the minority here, but I actually preferred the fingerprint sensor’s location on the Note8 as it rests where I naturally rest my index finger.

I agree. I also like that the Note 8 FPS is in the vertical position. Makes more ergonomic sense when using the FPS.

Though I look forward to maybe upgrading to the Note 9.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Great thoughts D13H4RD2L1V3..

as an X p20 pro user I can tell you that once you use a 4000 all day battery its tough to use anything else.. i come off charger at 4:00 AM do my uual light use and leave my home 2 hrs later at 96% battery.. my wifes s8 will be 80%-90%... i tested it :)

still waiting for my N9:(

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Great thoughts D13H4RD2L1V3..

as an X p20 pro user I can tell you that once you use a 4000 all day battery its tough to use anything else.. i come off charger at 4:00 AM do my uual light use and leave my home 2 hrs later at 96% battery.. my wifes s8 will be 80%-90%... i tested it :)

still waiting for my N9:(
I’ve read all the reviews and it really seems that the battery is holding up extremely well.

Even during heavy use, the phone can last the entire day, and for lighter use, a second day is possible.

Last edited:

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Sidegrade or an upgrade, Note 9 is the most all rounded phone now which ticks most of the boxes of things that consumers want. No other phone comes close if you just want an 'everything' phone. If you dun, then there are many alternatives out there which excel in different areas.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm sure that 4000mah battery is really going to be good. I was really surprised they came through with that.

My co-worker just got his Note 9 last week for him and his wife so it'll be interesting having someone with a Note and I'll get to see how it fares over time.

I got a chance to play with his a bit, teaching him this and that and some tricks like using the S-Pen to translating, etc.

Two things that just stand out on the phone... the idea of having a 4000 mah that for me would pretty much make it a solid 1.5-2 day phone (I unplugged my Note 8 last night at around 11pm 100% and 9pm right not I am at 51% light/moderate use). And the second thing I immediately tested was the stereo speakers which right away can tell so much better.

Other than that, by the time I finished walking my buddy through the phone, the rest of it feels just like my Note 8 and whatever excitement I had for the 9 calmed down.

I mean don't get me wrong, about every weak spot the Note 8 has been addressed so it's an overall improved phone no doubt. But is it worth the cost of upgrading and that depends on the individual and also what kind of plan they can get.

My buddy bought his BOGO with our corporate account... so $500 for two phones is a steal. If his wife didnt need a phone, I definitely would have bought into the second phone for $250 for those upgrades.

I’ve read all the reviews and it really seems that the battery is holding up extremely well.

Even during heavy use, the phone can last the entire day, and for lighter user, a second day is possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali